Napoleonic fantasy?

By Sagremor, in Battles of Napoleon

I wonder if this game will be similar to Battlelore. Will there be dragons and other creatures of fantasy genre, just like in Battlelore there are historical battles combined with fantastic elements. Don't get me wrong, I would greatly enjoy this game, whether it had any fantasy elements, or not. It just seems to me a little awkward that FANTASY Flight publishes a game that doesn't have fantasy elements in it. What do you think?

It sounds as though it won't have any fantasy in it - the description states that it's realistic. Should be interesting though - will wait and see

Battlelore was always supposed to be more fantasy-oriented at Days of Wonder, whereas this looks more like straight-up Napoleonic strategy. The miniatures look like human soldiers of the period, and the pictures on the cards look like historic images of the relevant commanders.

I for one would be keen to see that.

Sagremor said:

I wonder if this game will be similar to Battlelore. Will there be dragons and other creatures of fantasy genre, just like in Battlelore there are historical battles combined with fantastic elements. Don't get me wrong, I would greatly enjoy this game, whether it had any fantasy elements, or not. It just seems to me a little awkward that FANTASY Flight publishes a game that doesn't have fantasy elements in it. What do you think?

Well they do sell Wings of War (another historical based game by Nexus) and Tide of Iron.

Both do not have fantasy elements to them.

The Sundance Kid said:

Well they do sell Wings of War (another historical based game by Nexus) and Tide of Iron.

Both do not have fantasy elements to them.

You're right! How could I forget about them? I'm really looking farward to this game, I hope, in future expansions, it will include armies of other countries fighting in Napoleonic Wars. I would love to see the charge of Polish cavalry at Somosierra, Russian Cossacks at Preuss Ilnau (spelling?)*.

* It's interesting how differenet nations name battles differently. The best example would be battle at:

- Moscow (according to French), Borodino (according to Russians), Mozajsk (acording to Poles) - it's the same battle!

Sagremor said:

This one looks to be a straight up historical wargame. FFG does the plastic figures better than any I've seen so far, with the exception of the original BattleCry figures. These do look better than those at first glance.

Goodness no fantasy in Napoleonics please!

The figures do look very nice I must say. The different nationalities and operations are a huge expansion potential. You go Guys!!

Lord Mykal said:

I agree. Please keep this historical.

For those interested in Napoleonique Fantasy, check out Flintloque (skirmish) or Slaughterloo (large battles).

Hi,

If they are using the figures posted here and at BGG, they look like they are from the Italeri line. You can view these at Plastic Soldier Review

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=22#France-Artillery

British infantry

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1188

French Infantry

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=887

Artillery looks like it's from the old ESCI line

Leaders ( French)

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=200

Thanks

Lord Mykal said:

Please DON'T!

Maybe Napoleon felt himself like God; but that's not enough!

gui%C3%B1o.gif

BR

Napoleon riding on his War Dragon, dealing out damage with his magical wand!!! :)

Marshall Ney planewalking into the nine hells to battle the balgor single handed!!! :)

What a fun idea.

No, seriously. The game looks fine sofar, the rules are great (although a little bit complex) and some of the game mechanics (like cavalry charges, recalling or formations) reminds me to the Napoleon Series from Talon Soft (if anybody dont know, get it and play - a gread turnbased strategy series)

superklaus said:

some of the game mechanics (like cavalry charges, recalling or formations) reminds me to the Napoleon Series from Talon Soft (if anybody dont know, get it and play - a gread turnbased strategy series)

Yes, I do!

What a great series!

BR

pomakli said:

superklaus said:

some of the game mechanics (like cavalry charges, recalling or formations) reminds me to the Napoleon Series from Talon Soft (if anybody dont know, get it and play - a gread turnbased strategy series)

Yes, I do!

What a great series!

BR

I play Quatre Bras and Waterloo still today and its phantastic. It seem that the boardgame designers at nexus are also fans of this series. :)

OMG! Talonsoft series was great but have you guys not been aware of HPS taking over and the NEW series of Napoleonic Titles out that covers, Eckmuhl and Wagram v Austrians, Jena- Auerstaedt v Prussia, Napoleon's Russian Campaign v Russia, Austerlitz v Austo-Russia and Waterloo! All with a new one turn game engine and auto defensive fire! Plus linked campaign battles and a basic campaign system!

They are a new step up and well supported with add on and upgrades! Check it out at http://www.hpssims.com/

Also two great online clubs support it all - Napoleonic Wargame Club and International Napoleonic Wargame Club.

Hi!

These are very good news!

I'll have a look!

Thanks!

Naomi Novik's "Temeraire" series are pretty good Napoleonic fantasy books, but I don't think they've been put into a game yet.

...I sure hope it has NO fantasy.

Fantasy Flight isn't the publisher, Nexus Games is; FFG is merely the American distributor.....;-)

It doesn't have to have dragons and elves to be a proper Fantasy Flight product. Personally, I find being in command of Napoleon's armies to be a completely extravagant fantasy in its own right. He's by far my favorite warlord of all time.

If anything, there's a more legitimate claim to be had that Battles of Napoleon isn't flighty enough. :P

Flintloque and Slaughterloo are fantasy Nap. War games. If leading Wererat Highlanders is your thing or fighting Zombie Russians or Leading Elven French are your thing look for these games. Give me a good Napoleonic War Game any day I'm just glad it does not have 10000 figures like most minature games. Keep up the good work and keep it historical. Thanks

I think FFG are astute enough to realise this era is anything but fantasy and keep it so.

This is a 'Top Shelve' game and not one for the unclean masses gui%C3%B1o.gif