Star Wars feel: The No No list

By Archlyte, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

22 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

Beer and pretzels seems a pretty decent state of mind for a game based on movies that are mostly space operas.

Again I'm not interested in the thread crapping. The premise is how to get the type of game that would come from emulating the elements and precursor elements of the original movies such as Western, Samurai, WWII, Fantasy. Also not using elements that are detractors to that sense to some significant degree.

I noticed that recently that cutting out Dude, and Man from the vernacular was very helpful, which made me think that treating the language used by the characters in a similar manner you might if playing medieval fantasy (but not using the period words and structure) is a way to filter. In the same way that talking in specifics about Earth stuff won't do well in many D&D settings, it similarly seems to detract from the Star Wars setting.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:01 PM, Archlyte said:

Again I'm not interested in the thread crapping. The premise is how to get the type of game that would come from emulating the elements and precursor elements of the original movies such as Western, Samurai, WWII, Fantasy. Also not using elements that are detractors to that sense to some significant degree.

I noticed that recently that cutting out Dude, and Man from the vernacular was very helpful, which made me think that treating the language used by the characters in a similar manner you might if playing medieval fantasy (but not using the period words and structure) is a way to filter. In the same way that talking in specifics about Earth stuff won't do well in many D&D settings, it similarly seems to detract from the Star Wars setting.

I wasn’t thread crapping. It’s a SW game. For me that also includes a lighthearted atmosphere, at least some of the time. I want the feel of the movies, and that requires more than simulation. That doesn’t mean the roleplaying itself shouldn’t be on point, but beer & pretzels don’t detract from that.

I started running a game recently that was EotE and leans heavily toward the Western/Samurai theme in a system that has a persistent hyperspace hazard at a point past the last of the regular orbit bodies in the system. This meant that the traffic out of the system can barely occur and most inbound traffic is there by hyperspace mishap. The system has a good mix of the usual Star Wars species, but the Empire avoids it and considers it an Interdicted System on the edge of Hutt Space. It's a Formidable Astrogation check to be able to leave the system, but the PCs will do it eventually I am hoping as I don't want to keep the whole game in that system.

Anyway, I made it so that the planet has a shortage of natural resources needed for atmospheric fusial engine operation, which means that while there are repulsorlift vehicles, they have to be powered by sails or beast drawn.

This amount of difference started to make me feel like the game was kind of off the Star Wars rails a bit even though the players have stated that they feel it is fine. I want to make sure the game feels like Star Wars but what elements should I avoid in the situation I described in order to make sure it feels right despite the differences?

34 minutes ago, Archlyte said:

I started running a game recently that was EotE and leans heavily toward the Western/Samurai theme in a system that has a persistent hyperspace hazard at a point past the last of the regular orbit bodies in the system. This meant that the traffic out of the system can barely occur and most inbound traffic is there by hyperspace mishap. The system has a good mix of the usual Star Wars species, but the Empire avoids it and considers it an Interdicted System on the edge of Hutt Space. It's a Formidable Astrogation check to be able to leave the system, but the PCs will do it eventually I am hoping as I don't want to keep the whole game in that system.

Anyway, I made it so that the planet has a shortage of natural resources needed for atmospheric fusial engine operation, which means that while there are repulsorlift vehicles, they have to be powered by sails or beast drawn.

This amount of difference started to make me feel like the game was kind of off the Star Wars rails a bit even though the players have stated that they feel it is fine. I want to make sure the game feels like Star Wars but what elements should I avoid in the situation I described in order to make sure it feels right despite the differences?

Only you know what feels like Star Wars to you. Only you know what aspects of Star Wars you do and don't like. Your players say the game is fine. Either they think it is fine or are afraid to express an opinion. Either way, it seems like you should be happy?

18 hours ago, Archlyte said:

Have you seen Solo? You’re basically describing Kessel.

2 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

Have you seen Solo? You’re basically describing Kessel.

Ah I didn't think of it that way but yeah that's a good point :)