Scions

By Click5, in Runewars Tactics

1 hour ago, Click5 said:

It's a shame such a cool model might just be relegated to blocking duty though

That seems to be the norm for siege units so far. Carrion Lancers blight and block for Reanimate Archers, Rune Golems can do the same for Daqan Spearmen. But Rune Golems are so good as unit upgrades that I don't see them as standalone units very often. And I still haven't even fought against Elves yet. League starts up this week, so hopefully I face a few and can actually add to this conversation :P

Nothing in this game lives very long once it contacts the enemy.

Vicious roots was just the card scions were after. Army wide shut down is now a thing. Big claim I know but I can hear all my opponents groaning as elves just became that little bit harder to catch.

1 hour ago, Thornoo1 said:

Vicious roots was just the card scions were after. Army wide shut down is now a thing. Big claim I know but I can hear all my opponents groaning as elves just became that little bit harder to catch.

I'm pretty stoked about that card. Not too expensive. Puts a single scion at the same price as a Rune Golem with more utility.

4 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

After 1 game, scions worked well for me. One hit my opponent 6 tray reanimate with lancer with stun, then intercepted it before it could move on my archers no after my Scion died, left reanimate with immobilize and a stun, allowing my archers to continue shooting. It was perfect. The other Scion tied up archers and a lancer. And finished the game with 1 hp.

as blockers, distractions, immobilizing stunners. And archers stunning. It was good times.

I've routinely used their Stun tokens against the Waiqar and underprepared Daqan to cancel future charge modifiers. So rude. Every Scion I've had except the support Scion has died, but almost never before they've done exactly what I want them to. Hold up a unit for one or two turns to keep punishing them with arrows. Hold up a unit in order to pull off a flank with battlecats. Only 14 pts for a single tray unit that takes 6 hits minimum, has ranged attacks and is a great disruptor. I love me some Scions and their new unique upgrade is going to be super fun to use against @Curlycross roommate who runs Hawthorn.

4 hours ago, Click5 said:

I've played about five Skirmish games since making this thread (only have one Latari expansion right now), I think I'm coming around on them, but more in line with what @Ywingscum is talking about above.

Keep them cheap and solo, hopefully get a shot off, and just fling them at the enemy so they can't get to your archers. Their march actions are all relatively low initiative, and they can armor up off of it. The upgrade previewed today will help with the tarpitting.

I actually love them as blockers, because they have great utility otherwise. They can channel in a ranged attack once they get into place, hoping to pull it off before a longer charge, then potentially cancel that charge modifier. They are just so cheap, and using them to block a units frontage long enough to get a flank charge in with some kitties has worked so so well for me.

5 hours ago, Click5 said:

I've played about five Skirmish games since making this thread (only have one Latari expansion right now), I think I'm coming around on them, but more in line with what @Ywingscum is talking about above.

Keep them cheap and solo, hopefully get a shot off, and just fling them at the enemy so they can't get to your archers. Their march actions are all relatively low initiative, and they can armor up off of it. The upgrade previewed today will help with the tarpitting.

Seems like the cool looking units always are IE Rune Golems...

I feel like the only siege unit people don't whine about are the lancers ?. The siege units are not just bulk cruisers, they are the first step into the gamea hopefully heavy future assymetry, and do some weird stuff. The important thing to remember is they are all support units, not the stars of the show.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:06 AM, Tvayumat said:

Nothing in this game lives very long once it contacts the enemy.

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

I feel like the only siege unit people don't whine about are the lancers ?.

A moment of silence for my Carrion Lancer, who died to just a single charge.

Thank you. By the way, you both make excellent points.

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

A moment of silence for my Carrion Lancer, who died to just a single charge.

Thank you. By the way, you both make excellent points.

My favourite moment so far, although vineheart will never believe it, my 2*2 golem tarpitting out a spearstar while I mowed it over with Kari from 1 unit over (engaged a 2*1 and laughed, dialed nothing but surges). The golems sat there and stunned, using armour, and just ate it. They did their job.

I don't like running death stars (a bit boring) so gotta find ways to deal with things.

Late to the party here. I really like the scion model, one of my favorites and was really fun to paint.

Ive been using mine as blockers and the support upgrade. I'm really excited to try the new unique card on them to throw imobilize everywhere. I find that if they get into melee they are dead, though occasionally they hang around long enough to keep a unit busy for two turns.

Havn't tried a big block yet but for now I'm happy bringing two or three solo scions in to stop cav.