Deploy rules with the Outland Scouts

By Drakthal, in Runewars Rules Questions

Hi guys

So after the FAQ was released, one of the noticeable changes was in terms of deployment. Here the ruling was that if one player has 8 units and the other has 5. The 8 unit player has to deploy 3 units before the 2 players begin the normal deploy routine starting with first player.

Now my question is, how does the Outland Scouts fit into this? Let me make an example.

I am second player and i have 5 units (of which 2 are outland scouts). My opponent has 8 units. Is this the way deployment would work?

Opponent deploys 4 units (4 left), i deploy 1 unit (4 left) opponent 1 (3 left) me 1 (3 left) opponent 1 (2 left) me 1 (2 left) opponent 2 (0 left) me 2 (0 left)

)f this is the correct way to intepret it, it both gives strong advantages and disadvantages to outland scouts since you are forced to deploy certain units early, but can see your opponents units before placing your scouts.

No one knows for sure at this point, but my guess would be that your example is correct, otherwise the hefty Scout tax you are paying would be mostly worthless in tournament play

If one player has more units in his or her army, that player deploys units until both players have the same number of units not yet deployed. So if Player A has 8 units and Player B has 5, Player A must deploy 3 units first. Then starting with the first player, players take turns deploying a single unit from their armies within their respective deployment areas until all units have been deployed. Since Scout says to deploy after the deployment step, you would have to either (A) skip a deployment turn, or (B) not count units with Scout towards your unit total during deployment.

34 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

If one player has more units in his or her army, that player deploys units until both players have the same number of units not yet deployed. So if Player A has 8 units and Player B has 5, Player A must deploy 3 units first. Then starting with the first player, players take turns deploying a single unit from their armies within their respective deployment areas until all units have been deployed. Since Scout says to deploy after the deployment step, you would have to either (A) skip a deployment turn, or (B) not count units with Scout towards your unit total during deployment.

Most likely B, as you only count units you have to deploy for deployment.

19 hours ago, Darthain said:

Most likely B, as you only count units you have to deploy for deployment.

And thats why im asking. Since that is a totally legit alternative option. Either A: All units count or B: All units for deployment count

34 minutes ago, Drakthal said:

And thats why im asking. Since that is a totally legit alternative option. Either A: All units count or B: All units for deployment count

My thoughts are it is not a unit to deploy, as it does not deploy during deployment.

Edited by Darthain

It is a very interesting question. I would say that all units count towards first deploying (the competitive rules does not make any difference among units) but it is a fair question.

Let's imagine a list with 8 units (list A), of which 6 are scouts and 2 are not. The other army has 4 units (List B).

In my interpretation it should work like this:

The list with more units (list A) should deploy 4 units, after deploying the 2 non scouts , all that he has left are scouts, so the list B have to deploy his 4 units. After that, list A should deploy the remaining 6 scout unit.

Alternative interpretation:
If we do not count the scouts, the 4 unit list army should deploy 2 of its units before. That would make scouts much more powerful because it would not only be the scouts who benefit from their improved deployment but all the army.

It is up to the developer to clarify because none is obvious but I would think that the first interpretation is more balanced.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, Darthain said:

My thoughts are it is not a unit to deploy, as it does not deploy during deployment.

This is my thoughts too, so to this, Scouts don't count towards that number.

6 hours ago, Liher said:

It is a very interesting question. I would say that all units count towards first deploying (the competitive rules does not make any difference among units) but it is a fair question.

Let's imagine a list with 8 units (list A), of which 6 are scouts and 2 are not. The other army has 4 units (List B).

In my interpretation it should work like this:

The list with more units (list A) should deploy 4 units, after deploying the 2 non scouts , all that he has left are scouts, so the list B have to deploy his 4 units. After that, list A should deploy the remaining 6 scout unit.

Alternative interpretation:
If we do not count the scouts, the 4 unit list army should deploy 2 of its units before. That would make scouts much more powerful because it would not only be the scouts who benefit from their improved deployment but all the army.

It is up to the developer to clarify because none is obvious but I would think that the first interpretation is more balanced.

6 scout units? Someone has purchased $150 worth of scouts in this scenario you've built. :P

On 9/15/2017 at 9:23 AM, Curlycross said:

This is my thoughts too, so to this, Scouts don't count towards that number.

6 scout units? Someone has purchased $150 worth of scouts in this scenario you've built. :P

I may be that person.

I just may second you on that!

3th person here.. scouts seems Awesome, and they fit perfect into my Rhynn army

Here's a question - the Scout rule reads:

• Deploy after the "deploy units" step of setup. You may then perform any blue action and matching modifier.

Are bonus actions on the modifier dial valid options? I was leaning towards no because they are indeed bonus actions, but reading through now it seems as though bonus actions ARE modifiers. Can anyone see why that wouldn't work?

I was thinking a turn-0 unstable geomancer use, but the runes won't have been cast yet! Still relevant for their reform though.

Another fun one.

What happens when you have seasoned patherfinders and don't deploy until the end of the first round vs Ravos?

Do you take the panic since you're not on the board?

Do you get a dial and a chance to rally during the normal turn?

Seems like you should either exist or not, but I couldn't find anything on it in the RRG.

Let's add another that came up last week.

Aliana's SA says "After deployment." The Scouts say "After the deploy units step." I suspect FFG really meant them to occur at the same time, at which point first player does their action first, and that the inconsistency in language is one of their usual goofs. The alternative reading is that deployment is sub-broken into a before/during/after deploy units step, then resolves in its entirety, at which point after deployment can trigger. Awkward as written.

8 hours ago, Vergilius said:

Let's add another that came up last week.

Aliana's SA says "After deployment." The Scouts say "After the deploy units step." I suspect FFG really meant them to occur at the same time, at which point first player does their action first, and that the inconsistency in language is one of their usual goofs. The alternative reading is that deployment is sub-broken into a before/during/after deploy units step, then resolves in its entirety, at which point after deployment can trigger. Awkward as written.

I mostly agree. There isn’t actually a “deployment” step. Just a “Deploy Units” step. I Just assumed that Aliana’s and Beastmaster’s text really mean after the Deploy Units step of Setup.

That would mean player 1 has to resolve all of those effects and then player 2 resolves all of their’s. That adds a tiny bit of oomph to taking 2nd player if you bring units with Scout or bring BeastmasterT/Aliana

Maybe the wording difference was intentional to allow them to FAQ/errata a different power level to each wording if needed.

I'd agree with you, Church, if Beastmaster T didn't match Aliana's wording. If it were Aliana's "after deployment" -> Outland Scouts "after Deploy Units" -> Thuk'tar's "after Deploy Units", I'd agree that they just probably worked out a clearer template.

But going A -> B -> A suggests to me that A and B are meant to be different.