Mansions of Madness... would make a great game..for VR!

By Jake Weaver, in Mansions of Madness

I dont believe the tech is particularly there yet -- but a modified version of the game would be quite the fun idea of VR if and when it matures.

Something social, a bit more abstract -- and perhaps rather than real time or turn taking -it could be modified to a clock ticking time out format - so everyone acts simulataneously but there is a measured action time. Also the use of pre-recorded phrases and speech bubbles for characters would be a hoot.

This sort of coop/ shared play much better than real time battles for my tastes.. and lets face it, which of us wouldnt want to see the shoggoth oozing through the door? ???

You'd want to wear wrist straps for your controls, or you'd accidentally throw them through a window...

Cool concept

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an augmented reality type BG at some point using your smart phone with a VR headset. There are apps now that let you view a card or item and it displays a 3d image. Just image if the board came to life while you see everything else around you as normal. You could interact with the board by tapping the tokens, fire tokens could look like that are actually burning, monster tokens would display moving creatures that make noise. As your character loses sanity it could mess with you outside the board, blood could start running down the walls and bugs crawl across the table.

Edited by Vazzucious

A HEAVILY modified version.

I just finish playing Beyond the Threshold with my VR headset, & I must tell you it was not easy. I couldn't tell what I rolled with the dice, I placed tiles upsidedown, kept grabbing the wrong cards, & I spend the whole game thinking I was playing Joe Diamond but was really playing Jenny Barnes.

Also the rest of my group kept complaining they couldn't see the screen, but I must disagree with them, the screen & sound was never clearer, the only positive.

All in all, take it from me, it needs a lot of work before it's VR ready.

There are those real life escape rooms now.