Citadel washes and water

By Moeaswordusrex, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

So I used citadel paints for the first time recently as well as their washes, and I was just wandering if anyone else thins them with water? Is it a common practice among you? I find that if I don't, it darkens the over all figure too much, which at time is very useful, but adding a little water to the washes seems to help it find the nooks and crannies of a model better.

For the paints, absolutely. You’re looking for a consistency similar to heavy cream.

For the washes however, I don’t recommend water because it changes the consistency. This is a scenario where using Lamian Medium is preferable. I’ve had mixed success finding a “cheap and easy” solution.

Hipe this helps, and happy painting!

I've always mixed them with water and had no problems unless I use too much water. It's a balancing act. I don't use Citadel washes anymore though. I use artists inks that you get at AC Moore or some similar store in the same aisle as the tubed paints and stuff. Seems to be the exact same stuff only in a bigger bottle that has a medicine dropper in the lid and costs less. They don't come in a million colors but that's what a color wheel is for.

Normally when someone says that something cheap is just as good as the expensive version it isn't true. Like when someone says Apple Barrel acrylics are just as good as Citadel paints... But I've found some good stuff by poking around at art stores instead of model stores. Such as my beloved inks.

6 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I've always mixed them with water and had no problems unless I use too much water. It's a balancing act. I don't use Citadel washes anymore though. I use artists inks that you get at AC Moore or some similar store in the same aisle as the tubed paints and stuff. Seems to be the exact same stuff only in a bigger bottle that has a medicine dropper in the lid and costs less. They don't come in a million colors but that's what a color wheel is for.

Normally when someone says that something cheap is just as good as the expensive version it isn't true. Like when someone says Apple Barrel acrylics are just as good as Citadel paints... But I've found some good stuff by poking around at art stores instead of model stores. Such as my beloved inks.

Huh. I have wondered if using inks would be useful, but I was always under the assumption they were a tad to powerful to act like a wash, though perhaps by adding water they run to the cracks more?

Citadel used to call washes inks. They sell small, higher priced, rebottled ink and call it a wash.

Ill certainly bare them in mind, cheers.