getting into the game at this point

By khadorstrong, in Star Wars: The Card Game

So after not playing for a good while, i was wondering about getting back into the game at this point?
Rotation is going to happen soon right? AND it seems like this game is not being killed for Destiny, so what would be good purchases? I have 2 core sets still but nothing else. Are the bigger boxes 'evergreen' and don't rotate?
Should I just start with the newest chapter series and work back?

Rotation is still a bit off. We're now 2 packs into the 6th cycle and rotation doesn't happen until the 8th cycle starts.

As far as what to get next, the deluxe sets are all good options. They'll never rotate and generally have some very useful sets for the featured affiliations. You'll only need 1 copy of each deluxe set to have full play sets (exception: Edge of Darkness needs 2 copies, it basically acts as an extension to the core set for Smugglers/Scum). The one deluxe you might not want is Balance of the Force as it's focused on multiplayer (2v2 or 1v2 and 1v3 challenge decks).

Beyond that, you can get the packs in whatever order you'd like. Cardgamedb has card lists of everything available in every pack, so you can scout and buy the packs that have the cards you want most.

I'd say look at the kinds of decks you'd like to play and just buy the Force Packs that have the cards you need.

There's also eBay where someone is always liquidating their collection.

It's too bad FFG won't do something like bundle older cycles together at a greatly reduced price to make the investment of getting up to speed less daunting for new players.

Locally I know a few people who were interested but decided against getting in to the game because they believed they needed to drop a ton of cash to be competitive. Telling them with just two cores and the deluxe sets they could be very competitive wasn't convincing.

And that FFG has done nothing to make long running LCGs inviting to new players doesn't help.

Edited by selderane

I mean, they tried with the rotation thing... but the rotation needs to be much more aggressive than after 8 cycles to be effective.

Rotation really needs to be every 4th cycle, or a new core like Netrunner is getting. I'd play SW with a new core.

2 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

Rotation really needs to be every 4th cycle, or a new core like Netrunner is getting. I'd play SW with a new core.

... or even 2 new cores?

1 hour ago, Handler said:

... or even 2 new cores?

They may just go the L5R route. To save money, they put the rules reference online and wasted space on fiction and clan lore. For Star Wars LCG 2.0, you'll get 4 pods from each faction, plus 4 neutral pods at 2 per side. But you only get half of each pod. The rest is a free downloadable PDF so you can print and play.