Starting gear.

By Techpriest support, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I like dh2 and regret it had a short run. The system seems pretty good and i like chargen most of all. The aptitudes affecting skill advance cost is so much better than character classes.

Anyway i have a question on starting gear. Not using money is an odd twist but i understand it. It just seems characters are severely limited in starting gear. The average new character will have like an influence of 30 something so he gets 3 items from the armory. That seems pretty skimpy gear. Have i missed something in starting gear?

I'd imagine an inquisitor's servant might get some basic stuff pretty much standard. Las/auto pistol/gun, shotgun, used flak vest.

They get whatever they want up to a certain rarity, and after that they get X amount of Scarce (I think) items equal to their Influence bonus.

Could you elaborate? I recall seeing a rule that said people could start with a # of items equal to their influence bonus. Which would usually be 3. The items could be scarce or better.

2 hours ago, Techpriest support said:

Could you elaborate? I recall seeing a rule that said people could start with a # of items equal to their influence bonus. Which would usually be 3. The items could be scarce or better.

That's exactly it on pg. 81 of the core rule book. You get a number of items equal to your Influence bonus at an availability of Scarce(-10).

With regards to your initial question and your statement that it seems like skimpy gear, that might be true. But the requisition system is good enough to make up for any lack of good starting equipment. Dark Heresy isn't really a system where the players are continuously chasing better equipment. I've found that players tend to grab what they need and then use that for a while.

See the starting equipment as exactly that, starting equipment. Depending on the GM you could get gear requisitioned almost directly after a mission briefing.

Ok. So the 3 items is just starting gear you should always have. Requisition is stuff you can take at any mission, right?

Btw are inquisitors ok with their henchmen helping themsleves to enemy gear as long as it isn't tainted or something? I mean if a tech priest working for an inquisitor picks up an autogun off a dead enemy and it isn't tainted or desecrated he might look it over and say "Hmmm. Well crafted, needs some cleaning, good materials, well suited to imprpvementā€¦ .Yes. I believe i will make use of this."

At which point he basically adopts it, other henchmen snicker over him botbering to lug a dirt common autogun back woth him. A month later they notice he's applied some tech skills to jt . Now it's a lot more then another autogun.

Edited by Techpriest support

Btw in deathwatch keeping an enemy's gear was never a problem as space Marines already have top line gear, couldn't use most normal human gear anyway and generally would not dream of keeping enemy gear for their personal use anyway. In DH things seem a little different, which is the point, actually.