A paint job I dont absolutely hate

By Moeaswordusrex, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Its not great though...

This is the only painted figure I actually feel comfortable showing... Still I'm very amateur, so it looks pretty bad, but anyway.

I had wanted to use vallejo paints for this, but.. uh.. Well when I was in town I found the citadel paints first, and they were at a decent price, and I thought I wouldn't find vallejo, so I went ahead and bought them... but liliterally the next shop I went had vallejo, I was really quite annoyed.

The citadel paints were very good, especially the washes, but I don't like the pots, they are a pain to use. Ill try Vallejo next time. I also tried to make a texture base for the first time... So yeh it's very amateur too.

Edited by Moeaswordusrex

You are too humble - this figure is well done. The colours are blocked out very neatly, and you made very good use of shades and highlights to bring out texture and detail. The base - as you pointed out yourself - could use some work though, if you want to texture it instead of leaving it plain and black. What did you use to texture it, and what were you going for?

Edited by Fourtytwo
27 minutes ago, Fourtytwo said:

You are too humble - this figure is well done. The colours are blocked out very neatly, and you made very good use of shades and highlights to bring out texture and detail. The base - as you pointed out yourself - could use some work though, if you want to texture it instead of leaving it plain and black. What did you use to texture it, and what were you going for?

I thank for the compliment and your constructive feedback. I was being quote experimental for the Base. I used wall filler mixed with PVA and paint, which I then covered with a seraphim sepia wash, and then and a watered down agrax earthshade wash to seep into the cracks and details. I then dry brushed on two stages of lighter tones. I was sort of going for a desert type theme, but looks more like some sort of vague wet sand. I should also mention that I painted a thin layer of mod Lodge over it, which unfortunately left it with a slightly glossy look. I thank you again.

Edited by Moeaswordusrex

Forgot to say that the eyes were based more clone wars style rodian eyes, but it might be hard to tell.

You sell yourself too short!

This is a VERY good Greedo. We are not all Sorastro and from the look of it you are above average with your skills.

Now that you point it out, those starry eyes do look like Clone War Rodian eyes, good job!

The Vallejo droppers are more practical, I've found. Citadel paints are great, just a little thicker than I like, but don't sweat it. You'll get plenty of use out of them.

58 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

You sell yourself too short!

This is a VERY good Greedo. We are not all Sorastro and from the look of it you are above average with your skills.

Now that you point it out, those starry eyes do look like Clone War Rodian eyes, good job!

The Vallejo droppers are more practical, I've found. Citadel paints are great, just a little thicker than I like, but don't sweat it. You'll get plenty of use out of them.

Cheers man, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I don't think I could ever reach sorastro's level of skill.

I am quite a fan of the clonewars Rodian eyes, hence why I chose to do that.

The citadel paints were very nice use, but I watered them down a tad... They beat using craft paints anyway, a transition I was happy to make.

Though I would just post this, the last image of the base had bad lighting... unfortunately this one isn't perfect either as some of the details are blurred but it might give you a better idea.