Combat Boards Order House Rule

By Bluehawks206, in Runebound

Has anyone tried house ruling the AI Combat Boards? If an enemy has priority and can kill you by attacking instead of flipping one of their tokens that they would kill your character not flip to a double or remove a token?

I find the boards are plenty brutal as is, and will take every break I can get.

Oh please, no house rules... I never liked this 40 years ago and certainly not these days with a zillion would be designers on the web :)

Just do as you please. I will not adapt.

5 hours ago, MMOfan said:

Oh please, no house rules... I never liked this 40 years ago and certainly not these days with a zillion would be designers on the web :)

Just do as you please. I will not adapt.

If you haven't played the co-operative version yet, there is a reason you would want to minimally house rule the boards, only slightly. There are several of the boards (maybe all of them) that put importance on doubling or enhancing attacks before dealing damage. It makes sense early in the battle because the enemy will survive the first round or two of battle. During the last round, sometimes the monster will not deal any damage in a round because they spend their only attack opportunity doubling damage to intend to do 3-4 damage, instead of at least dealing 1-2 damage before they die to the player's attack.

I agree that there should have been a note or rule in the game where if the monster will die before the opportunity to attack, instead of doubling damage or abilities, they will instead deal as much damage as possible before dying.

I agree the boards are pretty brutal, but if it was player vs player, the controller of the monster would be able to figure out the monster was going to die and at least get one last poke before ending battle.

PvP means the player can't use the special abilities on the board that boost specific traits of the different token sets. So, the less effective AI in the last combat round is compensated by the major aggressiveness in the previous rounds. Seems pretty effective as a compromise to me. Then, it's your game and you have all the rights to modify it as you please :)

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, backupsidekick said:

...I agree that there should have been a note or rule in the game where if the monster will die before the opportunity to attack, instead of doubling damage or abilities, they will instead deal as much damage as possible before dying.

I agree the boards are pretty brutal, but if it was player vs player, the controller of the monster would be able to figure out the monster was going to die and at least get one last poke before ending battle.

I play this way. Fun for me.