Finally!

By Ragudaddy, in Battle for Rokugan

AEG was going to make a board game that went nowhere. I'm glad FFG is expanding the IP. Can't wait to see more.

Edited by Ragudaddy
Spelling

At first glance this looked like the Game of Thrones board game with a Rokugan coat of paint. Reading the article, glad to see it's its own beast.

Will work for FFG in exchange of games instead of money. XD

16 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

At first glance this looked like the Game of Thrones board game with a Rokugan coat of paint. Reading the article, glad to see it's its own beast.

Any chance it could be a little like Chaos in the old World?

30 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

I hope it really is something different, as I love the Game of Thrones board game, but don't want more of the same.

Perhaps Mantis and Spider will make an appearance as an expansion.

1 hour ago, DailyRich said:

Well... at first glance I'd say this looks almost EXACTLY like CMON's Rising Sun! It has almost identical look to the board and components - even down to the player screens! If I didn't know FFG was previously working on L5R, I'd have sworn they used the same artists!

That said, there need to be more games of this type. I look forward to seeing how this one's mechanics and overall feel distinguishes itself from the competition.

Edited by Mrsuitcase
1 hour ago, EvilTwinDK said:

Any chance it could be a little like Chaos in the old World?

If it were, you'd think they'd have to credit Eric Lang on the box, and I don't see his name.

My first thought was Rising Sun too.

To be honest if RS did not exist then this would have been a buy. However I have Kickstartered RS and this seems to lack high quality minis that would give me a good draw into the game. When I saw Rising Sun I started thinking on Rokagunising it and I may well grab the board and clan boards from this and use with the RS rules to fit. OFC if we get an L5R minis game then the minis will come from Rokugun too.

This is a little too much of a copycat at the vastly successful Rising Sun. I love the setting and how the game looks, but being a backer of RS, I ll sadly have to wait and see.

I must admit, I went through a roller coaster of emotions with this. I'm eagerly waiting to get my hands on two coresets of the LCG, but the thing I want most is a new RPG, even if it's just a setting book for Genesys. Therefore, I went from ecstasy seeing a new L5R update, greater excitement when I saw it wasn't the LCG, crushing sadness when I saw it's not an RPG, and then curiosity, and finally now I'm at the "shut up and take my money" phase. Bayushi for life.

10 hours ago, Kaiju said:

This is a little too much of a copycat at the vastly successful Rising Sun. I love the setting and how the game looks, but being a backer of RS, I ll sadly have to wait and see.

The thing is, Rising Sun isn't even out yet.

12 hours ago, DailyRich said:

If it were, you'd think they'd have to credit Eric Lang on the box, and I don't see his name.

That kind of thing didn't stop FFG when they 'adapted' Wings of War to create X-Wing, either.

Since you cannot really legally protect game mechanics, there's no obligation to mention your 'sources of inspiration'.

I don't think the game sounds that much like Rising sun, to be fair, looking forward to learning more about the rules and how it plays.

I was hoping for this kind of game...
I clicked...
And then I saw the presentation, lack of figs and the overall bizarre look.

Soooo... pass. I'll wait for another L5R themed game to sate my warfare itch.

20 hours ago, Kaiju said:

But who is copying who? I wouldn't surprise me that it isn't a coincidence that games like Rising Sun, Bushido and Test of Honour are announced the same year as the new L5R is due.

Well I imagine in the end it will all come down to the mechanics and then which them one prefers. I am going to grab it because at that price, assuming the mechanics add up, it will be worth it.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:00 AM, jhaelen said:

That kind of thing didn't stop FFG when they 'adapted' Wings of War to create X-Wing, either.

Since you cannot really legally protect game mechanics, there's no obligation to mention your 'sources of inspiration'.

In all fairness, FFG *bought* Wings of War and then reused the mechanics. My understanding is that they did this to avoid making a rip off product, so don't bash them without a little research firs.

On 6.9.2017 at 3:55 PM, JamieThul said:

In all fairness, FFG *bought* Wings of War and then reused the mechanics. My understanding is that they did this to avoid making a rip off product, so don't bash them without a little research firs.

They didn't buy 'the game', they acquired a license, allowing them to sell a FFG version of the game (basically just replacing aeroplane cards with minis) - as they've done with countless other games before.

With 'a little research' you can easily find 'Wings of War' designer Andrea Angiolino's comments regarding X-Wing:

My personal criticism is not just the fact that it is a "clone". What I find very irritating is the history behind that.

For X-Wing, Fantasy Flight Games asked to license WoW mechanics. They wanted their staff to use some or all of them to develope the game, and besides royalties they proposed to sign it with me and Pier Giorgio Paglia as designers.
When NG started having troubles, they withdraw the almost signed contract offer. Their CEO wrote me that they would not close a deal with us authors directly since they then chose "to design an entirely different system" instead - no total or partial use of WoW's mechanics as by the contract proposed.
Now this game is out. They worked mainly on combat to differentiate it (you roll dice to see if you have to draw damage cards or not, and how many - this explains the three hits before blowing up). There are anyway so many details, big and little, showing how much they based their game on WoW - so long for the entire difference they told me to justify the missed license. Even the look of the two games is the same, and it is hard to tell their game pieces from the ones that many WoW fan made since 2004 for scenarios and variants in the SW setting:
[...]
Even the square box has, of all possible packaging solutions, a lower horizontal window to show miniatures against a black vacu-formed insert, so that the general look is the same of our Deluxe/Starter set boxes.

They are probably safe from a legal point of view. But I personally find their behaviour pretty unhetical. This is the reason of my own criticism.

Here's a link to the original post:

[url= http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?11739-X-wing-miniatures-A-quot-Clone-quot-War&s=7b2a9c0b048c422875acac57a9cacee9&p=169119&viewfull=1#post169119 ]Is X-Wing - a clone war?[/quote]

So, yes, I think it's fair to say that FFG totally ripped-off the Wings of War designers.

On 11-9-2017 at 9:44 AM, jhaelen said:

They didn't buy 'the game', they acquired a license, allowing them to sell a FFG version of the game (basically just replacing aeroplane cards with minis) - as they've done with countless other games before.

Which countless other games would that be?

For a start, almost every game that is listed in the category 'other games' on FFG's product pages.

There's also been quite a few games designed by Knizia, e.g. Tigris and Euphrates, Samurai, Ingenious.

Also, of course the games FFG is no longer allowed to sell because their licensing agreement with Games Workshop ended: Talisman, Fury of Dracula, Chaos in the Old World, etc.

And last but not least: Netrunner!

On 8/30/2017 at 0:16 PM, DailyRich said:

Yea I was going to say. This looks like a GOT 3rd ed, but I hope what the article says about the unique mechanics is true.

this game is fantastic. did play testing and thoroughly enjoyed every game we played, and i din't win once :D

easily 9 out of 10 for this game, board and components look top drawer, and it's very easy to play

highly recommended and i'm buying a copy asap

I won’t call this an AGOT or RS. Looks similar, yes.

Compared to both, it’s a lighter version in terms of complexity and components. Not necessary a bad thing.

I think TI4 is a great game, but the game is still too long and cumbersome for my liking. This and the new civ game fits well to my appetite and game time.