Theory-Crafting: Rebel Trooper Configurations

By chemnitz, in Star Wars: Legion

Here is some more theory-crafting, but this time it is for the Rebel Troopers. The Rebel Troopers have quite a bit less synergy with the spoiled upgrade cards, compared to the Stormtroopers. Rebels want to Move + Attack or Dodge + Attack often, but there are no upgrade cards yet that synergize well with those actions sequences. Targeting Scopes is less appealing if you are not going to Aim + Attack frequently, and Concussion Grenades are less appealing when you are already tossing black dice. Therefore, I would be much more inclined to run light on upgrades with Rebel Troopers.

Dodge + Attack/Move + Attack (Generalist Troopers)

Rebel Troopers (40 pts)

Extra Trooper (10 pts)

TOTAL: 50 pts

These cheap but versatile troops can put together a decent fire base or dash in to take a position. If they stay behind cover and dodge, they will be very difficult to damage.

Aim + Attack (Fire Base Troopers)

Rebel Troopers (40 pts)

Extra Trooper (10 pts)

z6 Trooper (22 pts)

Targeting Scopes (6 pts)

TOTAL: 78 pts

The z6 will roll a lot of blanks, so the rerolls will always come in handy. This is a spray 'n pray unit. When you get a lucky roll, it will decimate the enemy, but it is painfully inconsistent, even with the scopes.

Reload + Attack (Anti-Armour Troopers)

Rebel Troopers (40 pts)

Extra Trooper (10 pts)

MPL-57 Trooper (32 pts)

TOTAL: 82 pts

In a meta full of armour, these could be useful. Two of these units could effectively pin down an armoured vehicle for a long time. It seems like you would take lots of Troopers in this configuration or none of them.

Here is an example Rebel list, buildable with 3 cores.

Luke Skywalker + Force Reflexes + Jedi Mind Trick (180 pts)

AT-RT + Laser Cannon (90 pts)

Rebel Troopers + Extra Trooper + z6 Trooper + Targeting Scopes (78 pts)

Rebel Troopers + Extra Trooper + z6 Trooper + Targeting Scopes (78 pts)

Rebel Troopers + Extra Trooper (50 pts)

Rebel Troopers (40 pts)

TOTAL: 796

I like your break downs. I personally want nothing to do with more than one core set though.

6 minutes ago, Tirion said:

I like your break downs. I personally want nothing to do with more than one core set though.

One core set only gives you half of an army and it is more cost effective to buy 2 than to buy 1 plus the expansions.

1 hour ago, Orcdruid said:

One core set only gives you half of an army and it is more cost effective to buy 2 than to buy 1 plus the expansions.

This is true but you'll probably want the expansions anyway, as they will likely have their own upgrades cards exclusive to those sets. I think we need to see what is in the first wave before saying for certain what the best deal is gonna be.

6 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

this is ffg. If xwing and armada has taught me anything about their upgrade card systems, it's NEVER buy the full usable list points of their 1st release of a unit unless you like spares or must have for competition.

Edit: I say that, because at some point, they will rerelease units with balance or new shiny cards you will want, and i don't see them changing tournament rules here vs their other systems about requiring full set original cards for what you are putting on the table.

Edited by Ralgon
6 hours ago, Orcdruid said:

Disagree

3 hours ago, Tirion said:

Disagree

Elaborate.

5 hours ago, Tirion said:

Disagree

Agree.

(Idk if I'm agreeing with you or disagreeing with your disagreement or what. I just felt like joining the 1 word chain.)

6 hours ago, Tirion said:

Disagree

It will be more cost effective on a pure £/$ basis. it's VERY unlikely you can get the same amount of points as cheaply by buying expansions, given the estimated cost from GenCon of $25 for a unit.

However, the 2 core route won't get you any cards that only come in the expansions. So whilst cheaper, it will give you less options.

Which one is more worth it will be down to the individual.

Yeah how cost effective is it too buy 2 cores, when wave 1 troopers will come with 1 copy of some other must have trooper upgrade.

2 hours ago, Alino said:

Agree.

(Idk if I'm agreeing with you or disagreeing with your disagreement or what. I just felt like joining the 1 word chain.)

Illuminating.

8 hours ago, Extropia said:

It will be more cost effective on a pure £/$ basis. it's VERY unlikely you can get the same amount of points as cheaply by buying expansions, given the estimated cost from GenCon of $25 for a unit.

However, the 2 core route won't get you any cards that only come in the expansions. So whilst cheaper, it will give you less options.

Which one is more worth it will be down to the individual.

You summed it up thanks :)

10 hours ago, Sk3tch said:

Yeah how cost effective is it too buy 2 cores, when wave 1 troopers will come with 1 copy of some other must have trooper upgrade.

All the upgrade cards in the core are meta call cards. It is likely that any new cards in the expacs will be as well.

Now lets look at what buying 2 cores gets you.

2 copies luke/vader, 4 core units, 2 support units.

The army building rules allow for 6 core units and 3 supports, so you will be buying expansions anyway to fill up those slots.

I think what I'll end up doing is just 2 core sets and 1 of each unit. (and more of whatever else I want.)