Modified skills for Road to Legend

By player1465698, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Just importing a couple more of my house rules from the old forum. Couple of additional tweaks.

My reasoning is this: Even in basic Descent, there were some skills that just weren't very useful and didn't see play very often. This wasn't so very bad as quite often a hero would get stuck with one and use it to the best of their ability. The choice involved in RtL together with the expense and, in a few cases gameplay changes, means that many skills simply won't be used any more. For these reasons, I am proposing modifying several of the worst offenders. This isn't about balance between the players which I think is fine or even balance between the skills (if all skills were as good as Knight or unmoveable, the game would be terrible). The intention is to tweak the skills which would rarely, if ever, be chosen, to make them worth choosing occasionally instead of equivalent skills and make the game more interesting. They still won't be the first choice, but once a couple of cities have been razed limiting the choices out there, the heroes are in a hurry and have a week to spend in Nerekhall or Dawnsmoor anyway, they might. One or two have rule modifications for use in JitD.

Fighting

Battle Cry:
(All) Heroes within two squares gain a fatigue.

Brawler:
(RtL) (Instead of 1 damage to adjacent monsters per kill) Damage from a successful melee attack can be split between any adjacent monsters of the hero's choosing.

Brawny (available Forge):
(All) The Overlord cannot play a door trap card in response to a door opened in this fashion. In addition, you may exhaust this card during your turn to move any one adjacent small monster one square in any direction.

Enduring:
(RtL) In addition, you regain all your fatigue at the start of each new dungeon level and may draw a new feat card.
Useful for runners/ dwarves etc. (as the skill is already aimed at). I can see Grey Kerr with a fatigue upgrade and a spare platemail in the party doing quite well out of this. Currently, whether or not this skill is very useful depends entirely on whether Nanok is in the group. I'd recommend either only using this rule in non-Nanok games or removing the +1 armour bonus

Subterfuge

Ranger (availabe Frostgate):
(RtL) In addition, you only spend 1mp to enter mud or tree spaces in encounters.
Actually, this skill is probably fine as it is given Ranged weapons poor damage, but I like the idea of a hero better out of doors

Ambidextrous:
(RtL) Instead of a shield cancelling 1 extra wound, you can use a shield against two seperate attacks per turn. Actually, I'm not sure about this one at all, given what a gold shield would do. I was thinking of also making it +1 damage and a surge with an off-hand bonus, but I think with the ToI morning star, it might be ok as it is.

Appraiser:
(RtL) In addition, when you open a chest, you may roll five black dice when rolling for treasure and discard the one of your choice.

This is instead of the ruling that the skill can be used in markets.

Burglar:
(JitD) the additional cost of traps played in response to a trigger you have set off is three.
(RtL) the additional cost of traps played in response to a trigger you have set off is five.
One threat just doesn't make any difference. Three works well in JitD and has been tested. It needs to be yet more if it is to be worth 1,000+ coins in RtL however.

Pickpocket:
(RtL) In addition, whenever you take a visit action in the market roll one black dice and receive treasure according to the Encounter loot table. When you take a train action in the market, you may roll two black dice.
While this is a good skill in JitD for affording potions etc, you wouldn't even see a return on your 1,000+ coin until killing 40 monsters (read: average 160 monsters for the group).

Rapid Fire:
(All) This skill may never be used more than three times per attack (making four attacks per half-action).
Personally, I think it makes perfect sense for Rapid Fire to allow a large number of shots. It is the main advantage ranged attacks have over magic. However, i do agree that the infinite shots gauntlets combo is a bit much.

Crack Shot:
(All) The range of the attack is also taken from the adjacent sqaure.
(RtL) Rename the skill 'Scout'. Hell, call it 'Ninja' for all I care. Line of sight can be trace from any adjacent square for all purposes, including to prevent spawning. Hiding around corners and sniping is a great idea in theory, but unless you can prevent spawning, it's a very foolish one. I'd still prefer Boggs the rat.

Wizardry

Bardic Lore (Available Vynelvale):
(RtL) You may perform an additional town action every time you visit or train in a city (but not restock). In addition, rumour cards cost you half the normal cost. In addition, the Dark Relic trap card cannot be played against you.

Sharr the Brightwing (available Riverwatch):
(RtL) When Sharr ends her turn on a hero, they lose one lingering effect of their choice other than a curse or frost, or lose two poison tokens.
Note: You may want to disallow Sharr when playing the Spider Queen. However, on average, a single burn token would probably only take 2hp, as Sharr is designed to heal.

Earth Pact:
(JitD) You recover 4 health if you do not move in your turn.
(RtL) You only recover 2hp per turn if stationary, but recover all wounds between dungeons and encounters.
We just find that heroes never stay still in regular Descent as they always need to be checking new lines of sight or using fatigue to move while battling. 4Hp may sometimes give heroes an incentive to stay put. The complete recovery for RtL is already implied if not explicit.

Fire Pact:
(All) Attacks made using a staff or bow gain the burn 2 ability.
I always liked the idea of flaming arrows. Burn 1 is really a very weak for an ability dependant on weapon. Note that immunity to burn will be better now there are spawning lava beetles.

Water Pact:
(All) Attacks made using a staff or a reach weapon (walking stick/shilleleagh/Bo-Stick/Spear) gain Knockback and Daze. In addition, you gain the Tread Ice ability and never roll the stealth dice when making an attack.
Useful in outdoor encounters. I really couldn't come up with one for this one

Telekinesis:
cannot be used against unstoppable monsters and costs one additional fatigue per square moved for large monsters.

Holy Aura:
The hero has the Aura 2 ability.
At first I thought this might be overpowered since many copper level monsters would be unable to move past a melee hero with Holy Aura. Given that it would be about right against Silver level and useless against higher level monsters, I think this is about right and makes it an interesting skill to have.

Mata and Kata:
(RtL) Can carry gold piles and chests (although a hero still needs to enter the space to collect the money. A ferret can only move a chest two squares per turn.) The hero must be in the dungeon for the ferrets to carry either.