Concerns over future of this game

By davepaulstanley, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Both Miniature Market and CoolStuffInc have Latari Elves supplies that are dwindling (7 and 10 respectively at the time of this post). Most expansions are supply 20+. Stuff is moving it seems.

2 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Both Miniature Market and CoolStuffInc have Latari Elves supplies that are dwindling (7 and 10 respectively at the time of this post). Most expansions are supply 20+. Stuff is moving it seems.

I got my first set at coolstuff, they were confused when I called to make sure they had them...then just walked in and grabbed it. I can't wait to play a full army of elves.

48 minutes ago, jek said:

I got my first set at coolstuff, they were confused when I called to make sure they had them...then just walked in and grabbed it. I can't wait to play a full army of elves.

They're really fun. Part of that might have been because I derped pretty hard and used moment of inspiration on ranged attacks. Def owe you a rematch on that one @Curlycross

I used:

Aliana w/Ambush Predator waited until turn 6 to attack with her and almost wiped his 2x2 reanimates w/Maro, also totally juked around Ardus right before these guys:
2x2 Battlecats did a charge in and wiped him after my
3x2 Archers peppered him with some hits before hand. I had a
2x1 Archers that acted as a blocker for the bigger unit and supported the other blocker, the
2x1 Scions which I used to jam up his big unit of infantry that was a hilarious 3x4 long block due to Maro's reanimations and pepper them with more arrows from the big unit of Archers.

Might have been different if I was reading the Moment of Inspiration card correctly and not camping next to the Latari totem to use it every turn.... for ranged attacks. *Cough* I've said it before 11/10 would cheat again.

Edited by Wraithist

I'm still waiting for elves to arrive. When they do I'm gonna play the **** out of them. Daqan Lords and Waquir will be running for the hills!!!

This thread is now about how concerned we are about getting crushed by Elves.

Just now, Contrapulator said:

As it should be :)

3 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

I mean, I've been hearing @Ywingscum ramble on endlessly about elves since they showed the initial 4 faction poster, possibly before then...its kinda been a constant theme where most posts get derailed in ELVES MOAR ELVES... :D

9 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Elves dont really hurt yet. They have great shenanigans that keep them alive, but the teeth arent coming until the expansions I think.

5 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Elves dont really hurt yet. They have great shenanigans that keep them alive, but the teeth arent coming until the expansions I think.

Moment of Inspiration leonyx riders can hurt!

21 minutes ago, jek said:

Moment of Inspiration leonyx riders can hurt!

Not wrong, but as a whole they have a bit of an issue dealing enough damage to keeps up with the Daqan and Waiqar.

27 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Not wrong, but as a whole they have a bit of an issue dealing enough damage to keeps up with the Daqan and Waiqar.

Have you been play testing them? Why do you think that is?

1 hour ago, flightmaster101 said:

Naked 2x1's of Archers have quite good average damage per point actually. Precise baked in is better than it sounds.

1 hour ago, Contrapulator said:

Have you been play testing them? Why do you think that is?

Yea I played a tourney with them. Hit and run tactics are amazing, they just don't generate enough to keep up with Mauro replacing trays. Killing heroes with anyone but summersong is a challenge.

also the lack of infantry makes defending archers tough. Leonx can't do it, but not very well. And I would rather have them charging on a flank than standing toe to toe.

Edited by flightmaster101
57 minutes ago, Bhelliom said:

Naked 2x1's of Archers have quite good average damage per point actually. Precise baked in is better than it sounds.

You're throwing 4-6 damage with archers in range. Meh.

31 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

You're throwing 4-6 damage with archers in range. Meh.

BB with a reroll averages 1.5 hits, so 3 damage average, but they're only 17 points. Point for point, that's actually very close to 3x1 Heavy Crossbowmen with Rank Discipline, undeniably one of the scariest ranged threats in the game. It may not be uncommon to see 4-6 2x1's of Latari archers across the table.

Interestingly, Hunter's Guile actually decreases their damage efficiency a tiny bit, depending on how you value the mortal strike. The advantage is of course in force concentration, but that was interesting to see.

also the lack of infantry makes defending archers tough. Leonx can't do it, but not very well. And I would rather have them charging on a flank than standing toe to toe.

How are Scions working here? With the Stun and Immobilize they seem like the ideal speedbumps (though a bit on the soft side compared to other siege units)

Edited by Bhelliom
1 hour ago, Bhelliom said:

BB with a reroll averages 1.5 hits, so 3 damage average, but they're only 17 points. Point for point, that's actually very close to 3x1 Heavy Crossbowmen with Rank Discipline, undeniably one of the scariest ranged threats in the game. It may not be uncommon to see 4-6 2x1's of Latari archers across the table.

Interestingly, Hunter's Guile actually decreases their damage efficiency a tiny bit, depending on how you value the mortal strike. The advantage is of course in force concentration, but that was interesting to see.

I've been toying with lists that run 6 x 2x1 units of archers. Damage output is a factor for elves.

I think we'll see elves winning more often but with smaller points swings. At the moment after about turn 6 it is becoming apparent Daiqan and Waiqan can get really big wins if they engage thier strengths properly.

Just theory rune-ing at the moment.

9 hours ago, Wraithist said:

OMG thank you, everyone thinks they're a friggin corporate savant and they don't realize that their doomsaying prophecies can be self fulfilling, especially to their own perspective.

If you like the game, play it. Don't worry about something you can't control, and control what you can... like finding new friends to play with and... *cough* compulsively buying every new expansion.

I hate this crap. Who are you to tell people that have spent large amounts of money on a game not to worry about it?

The shear amount of people worried about the future of this game proves that it is at least something worth discussing. The classic "if there is smoke there is fire" applies here.

2 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

How are Scions working here? With the Stun and Immobilize they seem like the ideal speedbumps (though a bit on the soft side compared to other siege units)

There is no question elves are amazing at archery. With wind Rune the ability to shoot and not take return fire is amazing. But elves lack the death star/tar pit unit. That's the disadvantage right now.

Scions aren't as good of a tarpit as an infantry of 6 trays with commanders. They are the least mobile of all Latari so they're actually remarkably easy for your opponent to work around. They are also very rune dependent, and in a round of 1 blue can be crushed easily.

@Bhelliom for Hunters Guile

A white dice has 8 out of 12 sides with damage not counting mortal strike and one of those 12 is a double.

Blue dice has 4 out of 8 sides. Wouldn't that be more efficient?

23 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

@Bhelliom for Hunters Guile

A white dice has 8 out of 12 sides with damage not counting mortal strike and one of those 12 is a double.

Blue dice has 4 out of 8 sides. Wouldn't that be more efficient?

By efficient I meant average damage per point spent on the unit. The white die is definitely better, but the four points keep the ratio pretty similar.

10 hours ago, Imwookie2 said:

I hate this crap. Who are you to tell people that have spent large amounts of money on a game not to worry about it?

The shear amount of people worried about the future of this game proves that it is at least something worth discussing. The classic "if there is smoke there is fire" applies here.

No one is discrediting worrying, this topic started out as a conversation about direction, and general interest and where the game seemed to be going, then after a solid conversation discussing concerns on both sides, a few doomsayers came in, that is what I was talking about and what @Parakitor and @Wraithist were also talking about. Where our opinions based on what we are seeing, and what we hear throughout our communities isn't valid because apparently we are either just to oblivious to the magics of economics or some nonsense, or that we have drank deep of the FFG kool-aid. Complaining about how this game is doomed, isn't conducive to the conversation here, and it hasn't been since the beginning, and then every time it comes up and the conversation turns from a civil discussion to, the end point of "If you aren't happy with the community here and all you do is complain about how you don't have a community, but at the same time you said you aren't willing to work on building a community, then leave and go play something else." some one like you comes along and talks about how they are pissed that we are getting defensive of something we care about and are trying to work on a community for, and that it is unfair for us to tell someone to shut up and go away, when they are telling us that the game we love, and are trying to get off the ground, is destined to fail because they saw that there was a sale here, or they can never find players, or this that or the other thing. So yeah I hear what you are saying but I think that it is mildly ridiculous to assume that after the people here (and the majority of the people that are involved in this topic have been discussing this since January) aren't willing to discuss this topic. We are, we have been, this post has many clones, one pops up every few weeks when the previous discussion (and yes most of them have been a civil discussion) has hit the second or third pages of posts. But I know that regardless of what happens or what anyone says I'm not going to have someone ramble out some long wind "End is nigh" themed post because they can't walk into a store and have 18 people automatically be dying for a game, especially when that same person says they have no desire to work on building a community...this is a community driven hobby, and miniature game communities don't just grow out of nothing, especially when they are around a new game...

1 hour ago, jek said:

No one is discrediting worrying, this topic started out as a conversation about direction, and general interest and where the game seemed to be going, then after a solid conversation discussing concerns on both sides, a few doomsayers came in, that is what I was talking about and what @Parakitor and @Wraithist were also talking about. Where our opinions based on what we are seeing, and what we hear throughout our communities isn't valid because apparently we are either just to oblivious to the magics of economics or some nonsense, or that we have drank deep of the FFG kool-aid. Complaining about how this game is doomed, isn't conducive to the conversation here, and it hasn't been since the beginning, and then every time it comes up and the conversation turns from a civil discussion to, the end point of "If you aren't happy with the community here and all you do is complain about how you don't have a community, but at the same time you said you aren't willing to work on building a community, then leave and go play something else." some one like you comes along and talks about how they are pissed that we are getting defensive of something we care about and are trying to work on a community for, and that it is unfair for us to tell someone to shut up and go away, when they are telling us that the game we love, and are trying to get off the ground, is destined to fail because they saw that there was a sale here, or they can never find players, or this that or the other thing. So yeah I hear what you are saying but I think that it is mildly ridiculous to assume that after the people here (and the majority of the people that are involved in this topic have been discussing this since January) aren't willing to discuss this topic. We are, we have been, this post has many clones, one pops up every few weeks when the previous discussion (and yes most of them have been a civil discussion) has hit the second or third pages of posts. But I know that regardless of what happens or what anyone says I'm not going to have someone ramble out some long wind "End is nigh" themed post because they can't walk into a store and have 18 people automatically be dying for a game, especially when that same person says they have no desire to work on building a community...this is a community driven hobby, and miniature game communities don't just grow out of nothing, especially when they are around a new game...

First off I would not consider my original post in this thread as being "uncivil". I didn't try to discredit anyone's opinion positive or negative towards the game. I just offered my opinion as was solicited by the thread topic just as many others have offered theirs. Sorry if my opinion and those of some others are not as optimistic as yours. I formulated my opinion based on the examination of the big picture not just the observations of my local communities interest. My FLGS used to stock Flames of War (FoW) years ago but has since stopped since there was no longer interest in the game in my area. That valuable limited retail space now goes to other products that sell and earn the store owner profit. That doesn't mean FoW is dying.....actually quite the opposite its one of the most popular and successful historical miniatures games out there....just not in my community. If you want to consider my post as "doomsaying" or end times feel free...once again you are entitled to your opinion...but there are much more important things in life and the world that categorization would apply to then the rather trivial worry about the success or failure of a game. In the end all of the opinions expressed in this thread will not dictate the future of the game, the only thing that will do that is the sale of product. If Runewars sells well it will survive and be expanded upon if it doesn't it will be axed by FFG....there is nothing magical or nonsensical about that. Like I previously stated I hope the game does well....it deserves to as it is a GREAT game. Those of you that have solid local community interest in Runewars embrace it and hopefully it will continue to grow.

Edited by DesignXception

Gentlemen! Paragraphs. (Seriously difficult to read, especially from phones)

Edited by Darthain
13 hours ago, Imwookie2 said:

Because it makes sense. Worrying over something you can't control is wasted energy. It can even be harmful. What if some new people to the game get really into it like a lot of us have, then come to the forums and see these long diatribes about how the game is doomed? It would surely drive some people away. Work on building your communities and focus on the positive is all I'm saying.

Control what you can and let the *ahem* dice fall where they may.

Can we get this thread back on track to worrying about Elvish trickery??