Universal essential cards only available in a particular pack?

By Moohnzie, in Star Wars: Legion

Has there been any discussion of whether certain upgrade cards that are available to both factions can only be obtained through a certain squad purchase? This occurs in X-wing where an individual upgrade card that is usable for all factions (and sometimes essential) is only available for purchase by buying a ship that might belong to a faction that you might not fly, therefore rendering the model useless. I am assuming that most people will pick a faction over the other (due to costs and painting) and it would be annoying to have to buy a particular Legion squad just to get an essential card that is need in the other faction.

I think it was stated if you want to play 1 faction, you don't need to buy the other one. If there is a generic upgrade in one pack, it will be available in the other factions equivalent pack.

This is not confirmed though.

I don't think that has yet been said by FFG...iirc that was our speculation based on the way their other war game, Rune Wars, works.

Fingers crossed for the single faction folk (not the suckers like me, I'll buy it all anyway....).

The single faction cards will dictate whether I play this game or not. It's why I left x-wing, I refuse to buy pieces I'll never use for a card. It's a greedy, but brilliant, model.... that I refuse to be a part of. I know lots of people feel the same way.

Balls in your court ffg!

Please do this. Would love to able to just flesh out one force at a time

They are doing it for Runewars. Weapon upgrades look like they are tied to what is on the model, so those will likely be faction specific. Certain ability type stuff I could see being generic.

I hope they avoid selling unpopular minis with popular cards and power creep as in X-Wing. If this escalates, how many waves till Darth Vader is a pushover?

Well if it's anything like the IA core, .5? Lol

Given his stats and abilities in this game....if he does become a pushover, I have to assume it's because the freaking Death Star turned up.

He hits like an entire convoy of trucks, and seems crazy hard to kill if he goes defensive.

They stated for RWM you would not have to buy out of faction for all upgrades that were cross faction.
However, theyre kinda pricks about it. Yes all expansions come with the cards, but not at the same time. The Wind Rune for example appeared in the Reanimate Archers' box (first boxes outside the core) but the Daqan (humans) never got access to that card clear until the Rune Golems box (like, 2months or so later).

I suspect if theres cross-faction upgrades they'd do the same for Legion

Star Wars miniature game. They know they can get away with murder and people will still pay... I'd expect they will do the old Autothruster with Starviper trick with this game too.

I'm hoping you can viably buy into just one faction.

But it's using the same "plug and play" upgrade mechanic from X-Wing and Armada, so why not the same sales/packaging practice?