This could be blasphemy but... (Custom Characters)

By Zeelobby, in Star Wars: Legion

Has FFG said anything about generic/upgradeable commanders?

I would love to be able to piece together my own Sith Lord, or Rebel General, etc. The requirement of including named characters or making them drastically OP compared to custom Characters has basically killed my interest in many other tabletop game systems as of late (40K, Warmachine/Hordes, etc.). I really think some awesome, even if optional, character creation rules would be amazing.

As a long time fan of Star Wars, I would love to explore more than just the historical universe and battles (Vader and Luke can't be EVERYWHERE). While I realize that I can totally do anything I want in the basement I own, I'd love if FFG actually provided some template for this. It'd honestly get most of my gaming group on board.

Shoot. I knew I should have titled this "Runewars is dead" or "Legion model scale woes" lol.

Edited by Zeelobby

Honestly, I think the issue is that nobody knows, at all!

I wouldn't be surprised to see unnamed commanders appear though. Even IA has them in he form of things like Imperial Officers and the like.

As for upgrades....not a clue.

5 minutes ago, Extropia said:

Honestly, I think the issue is that nobody knows, at all!

Yeah who knows what may happen. But other games have tried stuff like this and it's never worked really well. Too easy to game the system and make a massively OP'ed beat stick.

Which is fine for casual games where your buddy can withhold beer until you tone it down... But not good for tournament play.

Edited by VanorDM

Thanks. I just haven't heard much and have little experience with IA (I was unaware generic commander's even existed). I was just a little concerned that the starter came with Luke and Vader. I mean we pretty much know the 2/3 battles both were present at in their shared time space and I would like to avoid being pidgeon-holed into repeating those or destroying canon.

Just now, Zeelobby said:

(I was unaware generic commander's even existed).

There's generic Imperial Officers, and FFG original commanders like General Weiss and Kayn Somos. So I'd expect to see something like that.

Just now, Zeelobby said:

I was just a little concerned that the starter came with Luke and Vader.

They're going to want to include the most iconic characters possible, because that will have the biggest draw. But I wouldn't worry about destroying canon, because there's really no cannon example of Luke or Vader leading troops into battle that I know of anyway... Luke was on the DS II at Endor and flying a Speeder at Hoth. Vader was on the SSD for Hoth and with Luke for Endor.

It's also not like canon matters much for games like this... In X-Wing for example it doesn't make any sense canon wise for Biggs to be flying with Corran in a E-Wing

13 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

There's generic Imperial Officers, and FFG original commanders like General Weiss and Kayn Somos. So I'd expect to see something like that.

They're going to want to include the most iconic characters possible, because that will have the biggest draw. But I wouldn't worry about destroying canon, because there's really no cannon example of Luke or Vader leading troops into battle that I know of anyway... Luke was on the DS II at Endor and flying a Speeder at Hoth. Vader was on the SSD for Hoth and with Luke for Endor.

It's also not like canon matters much for games like this... In X-Wing for example it doesn't make any sense canon wise for Biggs to be flying with Corran in a E-Wing

Sweet. And I guess canon is not a huge deal for me or my group, but being able to name a character and select their loadout/abilities would be. I know that adds another layer of complexity to a game, but I know tons of people locally who would jump at being able to kit out their own bounty hunter and/or jedi. Fingers crossed, though I know it might be a while, as I'm sure you're right, and they'll prioritize pushing a bunch of iconic characters first.

Yeah some sort of generic officer expansion, and a ton of upgrades you can use to make them quite specific to your force. Maybe a couple of waves down the line when there's more varied forces to tailor these generic commanders too.

I actually started another thread pitching this exact idea! Right now I'm on the fence with this game, but custom characters would make it an instant buy. I was thinking something like a blank character "class" like force user, or trooper, or commander, and then slotting in weapons and abilities into the upgrade slot system they already have.

So yeah. This idea a hundred times.

Edited by demon3o5z
5 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

Yeah some sort of generic officer expansion, and a ton of upgrades you can use to make them quite specific to your force. Maybe a couple of waves down the line when there's more varied forces to tailor these generic commanders too.

Very true. One of the things Runewars has struggled with locally is the lack of faction options. I really hope FFG has 2 more factions heavy on the heels of these. I mean I realize that these two factions may be enough for everyone to start, but when it comes to large table battlefield miniatures games, making gaming groups feel like they have unique options is always a key. Especially when you expect each person to throw down hundreds of dollars expanding their personal faction.

Edited by Zeelobby