Custom Commanders

By demon3o5z, in Star Wars: Legion

Right now I'm on the fence with this game. Couple years back if you asked me "what would get you to play 40k again?" I would have answered, "Strip down the rules and make it Star Wars." For various reasons right now though, I'm just not feeling it.

That being said, the one thing that would pull me in in an instant would be custom commanders a la the Space Marine commander from (ugh) 40k. One of the few advantages of unbuilt minis over unicast, is the ability to build something unique. With the card upgrade system we see in a lot of FFG games, in a way, they're already set up to do this. If you start with a basic "class" (force user, trooper, scoundrel) card and slot in your weapon and abilities, bam, something unique and personal.

I like Luke and Vader and all that, but to me, a minis game is all about building your force. If they took that a step further and allowed you to build your Star Wars commander, I would be all in.

I supose you could use Luke's stats with another figure and have it be a "order 66 survivor" who's joined the rebellion.

Or maybe have all your stromtroopers with a red stripe on their helmet, signifing the unit as "Palpatine's Own".

Yeah, proxying is always an option. An actual in-game method with official models would be the thing to pull me in though. (also, proxying characters always makes me feel like a nerd among nerds)

9 minutes ago, demon3o5z said:

Yeah, proxying is always an option. An actual in-game method with official models would be the thing to pull me in though. (also, proxying characters always makes me feel like a nerd among nerds)

NEEEERRRRD!!! :D I mean...Why?

Where you plaing 40k during the time of "count's as"? That was interesting. A guy plops down a (mindcontrolled) carnifex with some ork plates and guns stuck to it and had it count as a ork dreadnought. (Que discussion wether or not orks could mindcontrol nids.)

I dunno. I guess it just reeks of fan fic, and I fear being judged. When I was playing 40k, What You See is What You Get, was the thing.

Also, ork mind controlled nids sounds rad. And of course it would work. It's ork tech. It all works on magic and " 'cus I sed so!"

I would love to see this.

Imagine you could build your own Commander, build by simple rules like many RPGs have.

And calculate his or her Point value.

Then get him on the board and defeat your enemys.

One step more. ..

Enhance your Commander by getting Expirience points and level him up, so he is able to compare to Vader or Luke.

If this ever happend, this would be the coolest Table Top ever.

You used to be able to do this in older editions of 40k. I love the concept, but I do have to admit that a system like this makes it much more likely that some unintended, broken combo creeps into the game.

7 hours ago, Norion77 said:

I would love to see this.

Imagine you could build your own Commander, build by simple rules like many RPGs have.

And calculate his or her Point value.

Then get him on the board and defeat your enemys.

One step more. ..

Enhance your Commander by getting Expirience points and level him up, so he is able to compare to Vader or Luke.

If this ever happend, this would be the coolest Table Top ever.

I dunno if the character has to become comparable to named characters, but that pseudo rpg element would be a big draw for me.

Maybe growth by experience for some campaign play?

Edited by demon3o5z

if it has campaign play is to much like IA

Of course, this Pseudo RPG is more for a campaign.

Maybe there will be some in the Futur.

Like Corelian Conflict for Armada.

But the oppertunity to build your own Commander would be realy cool.

Dont get my wrong.

I like Luke and Vader, Leia, Chewi, Han and all of them.

But i would love to see the Chance to be another Jedi or Sith Lord.

To Design my own Commander insted of choosing one from 6 Builds.

19 hours ago, demon3o5z said:

Right now I'm on the fence with this game. Couple years back if you asked me "what would get you to play 40k again?" I would have answered, "Strip down the rules and make it Star Wars." For various reasons right now though, I'm just not feeling it.

That being said, the one thing that would pull me in in an instant would be custom commanders a la the Space Marine commander from (ugh) 40k. One of the few advantages of unbuilt minis over unicast, is the ability to build something unique. With the card upgrade system we see in a lot of FFG games, in a way, they're already set up to do this. If you start with a basic "class" (force user, trooper, scoundrel) card and slot in your weapon and abilities, bam, something unique and personal.

I like Luke and Vader and all that, but to me, a minis game is all about building your force. If they took that a step further and allowed you to build your Star Wars commander, I would be all in.

I get what your putting down but you can already build your commanders. You get upgrade cards and from the sounds of it these can mean that no 2 vaders or lukes are alike. Is it liek 40k? no, but really 40k is a hobbyists game where the only different between a chapter master and a scout is a statline and gear load out. The commanders in Legion will feel much more like Warcasters and Warlocks from Warmachine and Hordes their powers (spell list) is customizable and hopefully lets you fill out any flaws in the list. at the very least we saw that luke has pull and leap and being able to use luke to pull enemies in, thus increasing the threat range of friends will add some more depth to Legion.

If you want customizable figures go nuts, dont forget you have upgrade cards and slots that will drastically change how the same commander plays.

8 minutes ago, BergerFett said:

I get what your putting down but you can already build your commanders. You get upgrade cards and from the sounds of it these can mean that no 2 vaders or lukes are alike. Is it liek 40k? no, but really 40k is a hobbyists game where the only different between a chapter master and a scout is a statline and gear load out. The commanders in Legion will feel much more like Warcasters and Warlocks from Warmachine and Hordes their powers (spell list) is customizable and hopefully lets you fill out any flaws in the list. at the very least we saw that luke has pull and leap and being able to use luke to pull enemies in, thus increasing the threat range of friends will add some more depth to Legion.

If you want customizable figures go nuts, dont forget you have upgrade cards and slots that will drastically change how the same commander plays.

I hear what you're saying, and you're not wrong. I'm totally looking forward to seeing what different upgrades and powers we can put on characters going forward. In terms of tactics customization, we're spot on. I'm looking for taking that a step further, and allowing for some official fluff customization along with it. For example, if it were a character with the exact stats as Luke, but with a blank name and in the box you had bits to give the model a different pose, head, or even gender, that would work for me as well. Allowing some official space for a little role-playing on the table.

I get that that's a big ask, and yes, you can always proxy models, it's just my personal dream for this kind of game. With miniatures that you have to build anyway, it seems like the perfect place for it.

13 minutes ago, demon3o5z said:

I hear what you're saying, and you're not wrong. I'm totally looking forward to seeing what different upgrades and powers we can put on characters going forward. In terms of tactics customization, we're spot on. I'm looking for taking that a step further, and allowing for some official fluff customization along with it. For example, if it were a character with the exact stats as Luke, but with a blank name and in the box you had bits to give the model a different pose, head, or even gender, that would work for me as well. Allowing some official space for a little role-playing on the table.

I get that that's a big ask, and yes, you can always proxy models, it's just my personal dream for this kind of game. With miniatures that you have to build anyway, it seems like the perfect place for it.

I do think we will see some generic commanders that arent named people. maybe not. I think if you repainted lukes model and added some doo dads and called him something else, it would be fine. It will come down to the official tournament rules, but if FFG really wants to compete with 40k they will have to put in a very open, but WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) conversion policy.

1 minute ago, BergerFett said:

I do think we will see some generic commanders that arent named people. maybe not. I think if you repainted lukes model and added some doo dads and called him something else, it would be fine. It will come down to the official tournament rules, but if FFG really wants to compete with 40k they will have to put in a very open, but WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) conversion policy.

A few generic commanders would be great. And yeah, I'll be interested in how the tournament rules pan out in terms of conversions.

Just now, demon3o5z said:

A few generic commanders would be great. And yeah, I'll be interested in how the tournament rules pan out in terms of conversions.

or and this is less fun but doable, find someone with an extra luke/vader whatever and have a generic, non painted version. if someone throws a fit that you gave luke grenades, assless chaps, biker spikes, and renamed him to Jedi Master Halfred (been listening to a lot of Priest) , you plop and unpainted luke on the table and just play the game. This happened in the WMH community where people had elaborate conversions but if their opponent was a shitlord they would have the official model. It rarely was an issue.

1 hour ago, BergerFett said:

or and this is less fun but doable, find someone with an extra luke/vader whatever and have a generic, non painted version. if someone throws a fit that you gave luke grenades, assless chaps, biker spikes, and renamed him to Jedi Master Halfred (been listening to a lot of Priest) , you plop and unpainted luke on the table and just play the game. This happened in the WMH community where people had elaborate conversions but if their opponent was a shitlord they would have the official model. It rarely was an issue.

I don't get the reference, but I would play a game against Jedi Master Halfred.

And good point. Less fun, but a viable alternative.

14 hours ago, demon3o5z said:

I don't get the reference, but I would play a game against Jedi Master Halfred.

And good point. Less fun, but a viable alternative.

Rob Halfred lead singer of Judas Priest. Wore a lot of leather, you could say he was hellbent for it, and metal studs/spikes.

also it hurts my soul you don't know this.

1 hour ago, BergerFett said:

Rob Halfred lead singer of Judas Priest. Wore a lot of leather, you could say he was hellbent for it, and metal studs/spikes.

also it hurts my soul you don't know this.

My apologies. Just took some time to educate myself. A lot of their tunes aren't really my thing, but I found some good stuff in there too.