opinion

By MS_IGLOO, in Tide of Iron

hello to everyone i am just getting back into gameing and i a playing arkham horror and i like it but i need something a little different i just need someone to give me a honest opinion for what game i should pick up for WW theme i was first thinking memour 44 but read some reviews about being a game for people who have never played a war game before i dont want that so next was ToI it looks good i understand the basics of it i just dont know about the squads is the game a point system or how does it work and it worth my time to buy main box and extras

thank you in advance matt

first off the game is scenario based so the scenarios tell you how what type of units you get and how many and then you assemble them into squads.

also some of the scenarios are slightly unbalanced but then again most wars were unbalanced in real life gui%C3%B1o.gif

and i would suggest starting off by playing the tiger hunt scenario and theres a few other printable scenarios i just cant think of their names right now

the game is deffinetly worth the money and im sure you will like it

oh and about the unbalanced scenarios they just take a bit of practice and some good tactics

if you do buy it i hope you have fun happy.gif

P.S. good gaming

4 Good Reasons for going with TOI:

1. Not only is it squad-based, but YOU determine the makeup of each squad by assembling the various units. And there are a variety of units (infantry and vehicle) have characteristics that actually affect gameplay (e.g. officers move faster, veterans have more firepower).

2. There is tactical depth aplenty (contra Risk, A&A) without being "fiddly" (ASL, PanzerLeader). Gameplay is smooth. Game system is flexible and expandable.

3. TOI has one of the most active, informative forums with die-hard, loyal fans. Rules questions and tactical debates find ready responses from knowledgeable players.

4. The minis are just freakin' great. And there are a lot of them. And the number is growing.

The only consistent criticism I have of the game is (not the "imbalanced" scenarios, but) the Rulebook could be written (or organized) better. (Note: I also own Memoir '44, and while I enjoy it and find it quicker to play, TOI is much more satisfying.)

I enjoyed playing TOI havnt tried memior 44 yet but looks fun too but alot mor to buy.

I got Memoir before ToI, and I must admit that after buying ToI, I just scavenged Memoir for parts and threw away the rulebook... :-)

I have quite a few tactical WW2 games and TOI is one of my favourites.

I keep Memoir 44 around for when I only have an hour or so to play but if I have 2 hours or more then TOI is definitely my preference (along with Combat Commander).