Morale Tests Confirmed!

By power500500, in Star Wars: Legion

So I assume everyone at this point has watched the Team Covenant demo. I had always wondered if there would be some sort of morale tests, and there was something mentioned by the guy running the game stating that there is suppression tests. The value is the yellow number on the card. What do you all think of suppression test in the game? How do you think they'll work. Maybe all of this was already mentioned here but I don't think so. Personally I love this mechanic. FFG is really going into the traditional mini wargaming with this. I CAN NOT WAIT!

According to Albertorius on Dakka Dakka:

A unit with a number of suppression tokens equal to or exceeding its courage value is SUPPRESED, while a unit with a number of suppression tokens equal to or exceeding twice its courage value is PANICKED.

A SUPPRESSED unit can perform one less action per activation. A PANICKED unit is still SUPPRESSED, can only perform a single move action (no free actions) and must move as fast as it can towards the nearest edge.

But how do you get suppression tokens? I don't think it was a result on the dice, right?

Sounds a bit like the 'pinned' mechanic in Bolt Action. Units take pin markers every time they're shot at (regardless if casualties are taken). The more pin markers they have, the harder it is to activate them.

It does a very good job of simulating the effects of suppressing fire.

In fact, it's entirely possible to force a unit to flee the battlefield by simply putting enough pin markers on it, rather than actually killing anything.

If Legion has a similar mechanic, I'll be happy with that.

I'm a huge Bolt Action fan so I'm all for something like that. I imagine they may do something a little different though.

I think you gain a supression token anytime you are fired upon and the attacker rolls at least one hit, similar to bolt action.

i think...

20 minutes ago, Soulless said:

I think you gain a supression token anytime you are fired upon and the attacker rolls at least one hit, similar to bolt action.

i think...

Yes, as long as a hit is rolled, even if cover or defense dice cancel it. Every round during the end phase one supression token is taken off of each unit, so if you only get shot by one squad no big deal. The yellow number on the unit card under the hit points is a courage value. If you build up enough tokens you only get one action, and if they build up further you may panic and run for the board edge. Works well for getting to squads entrenched in pretty heavy cover.

49 minutes ago, TallTonyB said:

Yes, as long as a hit is rolled, even if cover or defense dice cancel it. Every round during the end phase one supression token is taken off of each unit, so if you only get shot by one squad no big deal. The yellow number on the unit card under the hit points is a courage value. If you build up enough tokens you only get one action, and if they build up further you may panic and run for the board edge. Works well for getting to squads entrenched in pretty heavy cover.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there a way to get rid of more than one supression token?

7 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Thanks for the explanation. Is there a way to get rid of more than one supression token?

In Bolt Action there are numerous ways to get rid of pin markers. One being simply passing a morale test will slowly reduce these. One of the best ways is to perform a rally Action. This will take many more pin markers off a unit than any other Action really (going into CQC aside).

Edit: I know see we actually have someone who knows how it works in Legion. I was just speculting, comparing it to BA.

Edited by power500500

You can rally a unit to get rid of multiple. I don't remember for sure but I think it was at the beginning of its activation you would roll a white defense die for each token and for each block symbol or surge (2 in 6 chance) you removed one.