A Bright Side the Model Size

By Hrathen, in Star Wars: Legion

I share a lot of the disappointment of the community over the size. My first choice would have been a much much smaller size, with squads of troops on stands and multiple AT-AT sized vehicles in every battle. But that is because I like that scale (and I love AT-ATs). Failing that I liked the idea of being able to share minitures between IA a SW:L, but then I have never really played IA.

And that brings me to why the slightly larger minis might be a good thing. I have been tempted to get into Imperial Assault for a while. But my temptation for X-wing and Aramda latterly lasted nano-seconds. In truth I was super impatient for them to come out. Two of he reasons why I wasn't as excited for IA were obviously because the game just didn't appeal to me as much and because I was already invested in two games that where stretching my resources. That being said I think the minis themselves might have been a third reason. Everytime I looked at the IA minnis, they were cool because they were a Storm Trooper, or a Jedi, in other words I liked them because they were minis of things I loved from the Star Wars Univers, but I never really loved the minis themselves. I'm not saying they were bad, they just weren't enough to get me excited about. And this brings me to my point I really like the Legion Minis. I think giving them a little more size (and letting them be minis that need to be assembled) we got cooler minis. The difference isn't huge, but small things can make a difference between cool and not as cool.

I conclusion, while I am a little frustrated with the size choice FFG made for Legion, if it means the minis are just better then maybe just maybe it was the right choice.

Well, I think AI is still the superior game, in both campaign and skirmish mode. With that said, a slight larger mini is a good thing. We will get more detail and they will be a bit easier to paint. So the minis themselves will look better over all.

31 minutes ago, Mep said:

Well, I think AI is still the superior game, in both campaign and skirmish mode. With that said, a slight larger mini is a good thing. We will get more detail and they will be a bit easier to paint. So the minis themselves will look better over all.

How can you even say that this game isn't even it yet.... Could it be true? Definitely. Can we say one way or the other even subjectively? Nope.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Well, I think AI is still the superior game, in both campaign and skirmish mode.

Please tell us more about your playtest experience!

I think MEP can say that IA is the sort of game that he likes better. A small squad moving through a building vs several squads fighting in a battlefield (40k style) are very different games. Regardless of the game design quality, it is possible (and likely) that one type of game might appeal more than another to any given player.

Does anyone else get the impression that the figures for Legion are superior to those in Imperial Assault?

Well they demoed the game. It is pretty clear what Legion is and what it isn't. The core mechanics are known. AI skrimish is a different game, and clearly me saying it is superior is my opinion.

I get the sense that FFG also pushed Legion because they need fewer excuses to make miniatures of certain characters. Making a character in IA means you need contrived reason for them to somehow have a presence in whatever campaign they have going on. Miniatures in Legions come in with the understanding that you add that character to that army.

So, someday perhaps I'll be able to populate my Rebellion board game with actual miniatures of all the characters to replace the cardboard standees, because Legion will make it so.