Legion Weirdness/Maybe shoulda been New Era

By demon3o5z, in Star Wars: Legion

Got a chance to watch a demo on youtube and it'll clearly play differently from IA. I actually really like the system based on what I've seen. It actually reminds me little more of X-Wing than IA.

I get with a minis game we'll probably be able to do larger scale battles as expansions come out, (though still kinda confused on if they plan to add full scale walkers)

I get that model customization gets to be a thing this way.

It's just weird that the same company has stormtrooper models that look almost identical out at a scale that's just a couple millimeters off. I think that's what we're all getting right? They seem to be only different enough that they can't mix? It's weird to paint up more stormtroopers, right? Not too mention, the legion rebels are essentially rebel rangers, with admittedly more bits.

I feel like all this weirdness could have actually been avoided if they'd stepped into a different era. I know some people here would have liked Clone Wars Era, but the sequel trilogy is the new hotness, so it'd be a good marketing move. Even if they're FO troopers, there's still a different feel. There wouldn't be another Vader and another Luke. I know people have their issues with Kylo, but that'd be cool mini right? I'd play that game to put Rey on the board.

I know it'll play differently, it just feels like a thematic retread. Stormtrooper fatigue? Is that what I'm feeling? Is that a thing. This post is real rambly. Did I get my point across?

Nah, it's not weird that unrelated games have different components.

But take heart, X-Wing was marketed as GCW game and now has TFA releases. Kylo commanding FO troopers may be a thing down the line.

Yeah I know they're different games, and asking for cross over is a bit much when you think about it. It's about how we have two games from the same company that play on a similar fantasy with a very similar aesthetic. Star Wars ground combat in the civil war era just feels like an overall thematic retread for me. And yeah, we'll probably see FO down the line which will be fun, but I feel like they wouldn't be getting a lot of the weird looks from current FFG customers if they'd made just that one change. Or maybe current FFG customers aren't the target audience.

Let's not read too much into the people who log onto a forum to complain. For every guy saying "no Legion purchase because I have IA" you can probably find at least another guy thinking "sweet, more cool Star Wars stuff!" That second guy won't be logging on here to let us all know, however.

Im that second guy... just to make you look bad.

Sweet, more cool Star Wars stuff! I already own IA but Ill buy Legion anyway.

P.S. Im joking of course Manchu... errr... I mean joking about that second guy not logging... about playing IA and buying Legion Im serious.

Sweet, more cool Star Wars stuff! I'm in!

Seriously tho.....you're not wrong. Haters gonna hate.

21 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Let's not read too much into the people who log onto a forum to complain. For every guy saying "no Legion purchase because I have IA" you can probably find at least another guy thinking "sweet, more cool Star Wars stuff!" That second guy won't be logging on here to let us all know, however.

I like this point.

Fair enough. I guess I'm projecting a little too. I just wanted to be more excited for it, cus usually I'm in the "oh rad more star wars stuff!" boat. Building the models is kinda a bummer for me, but it would have been easier to over look if we were in a new era or something. I'm glad other people are excited for it though. I'll probably just wait and see how expansions and such pan out, cus the system does look fun.

9 minutes ago, demon3o5z said:

Fair enough. I guess I'm projecting a little too. I just wanted to be more excited for it, cus usually I'm in the "oh rad more star wars stuff!" boat. Building the models is kinda a bummer for me, but it would have been easier to over look if we were in a new era or something. I'm glad other people are excited for it though. I'll probably just wait and see how expansions and such pan out, cus the system does look fun.

Probably not enough source material in episode 7+ for starting with this era but you know its gotta be coming.

Edited by Dice lord

I believe the main problem here (if theres is one) is that most of the guys expected (me too to be honest) that if a Runewars style game was going to be published for Star Wars it would be a IA side expansion or a rulebook of somekind for using those IA miniatures in said game.

Since FFG chose to publish a different game for that it makes much more sense (and not only in a business kind) to have a different scale or people would only buy the starter box for the extra stuff and later would only buy the cheapest miniatures in either game to make the armies (the games would canibalize each other which in turn would make FFG puzzled of which game was giving more sales and which would need improvements)... I bet it was all thought out before deciding the scale of the miniatures.

Also dont forget that in the medium run this is going to have tourneys also...

Edited by Kentares
13 minutes ago, Dice lord said:

Probably not enough source material in episode 7+ for starting with this era but you know its gotta be coming.

Yeah. No real equivalent for the scout bike or the AT-RT yet.

1 hour ago, demon3o5z said:

Got a chance to watch a demo on youtube and it'll clearly play differently from IA. I actually really like the system based on what I've seen. It actually reminds me little more of X-Wing than IA.

I get with a minis game we'll probably be able to do larger scale battles as expansions come out, (though still kinda confused on if they plan to add full scale walkers)

I get that model customization gets to be a thing this way.

It's just weird that the same company has stormtrooper models that look almost identical out at a scale that's just a couple millimeters off. I think that's what we're all getting right? They seem to be only different enough that they can't mix? It's weird to paint up more stormtroopers, right? Not too mention, the legion rebels are essentially rebel rangers, with admittedly more bits.

I feel like all this weirdness could have actually been avoided if they'd stepped into a different era. I know some people here would have liked Clone Wars Era, but the sequel trilogy is the new hotness, so it'd be a good marketing move. Even if they're FO troopers, there's still a different feel. There wouldn't be another Vader and another Luke. I know people have their issues with Kylo, but that'd be cool mini right? I'd play that game to put Rey on the board.

I know it'll play differently, it just feels like a thematic retread. Stormtrooper fatigue? Is that what I'm feeling? Is that a thing. This post is real rambly. Did I get my point across?

Well ya one is a dungeon crawler/board game the other is a minis table top game.

1 hour ago, Manchu said:

I'm that second guy :)

(practically giddy over the idea of one day fielding deathtroopers)

Edited by Deathseed

I have mixed thoughts on it, personally. On the one hand, the ruleset for legion looks awesome and I'm digging a lot of the new figs (that Skywalker is a big up from the RotJ IA one, I think). On the other hand, I can only game by running a wargames club at the high school I teach at... those kids are a fickle bunch and I don't know if I can convince them to get yet ANOTHER 90 dollar plus expansions star wars game.

I want it. I don't think I can convince people to play it when they've already invested elsewhere. I'm actually kinda... I dunno, feeling sad about it? Not angry, just kind of "ahhh... man... well, there's something I'm gonna miss out on..."

40 minutes ago, Tirion said:

Well ya one is a dungeon crawler/board game the other is a minis table top game.

Really not the point of what I was trying to say. So I guess I failed at getting my point across.

Don't worry about building the models. We are talking about extremely low end on assembly complexity and time. For reference, I had all the Daqan figs out of the RW box set assembled in under 30 min.

FO troopers look like ducks. If you want to field a platoon of quack troops, be my guest.

I definitely see the point of this post, and I agree, there's nothing ridiculous about IA and SWL being cross compatible. Coming from a Games Workshop perspective, had they put out Necromunda, Mordheim, or Horus Heresy minis at a purposefully slightly different scale, and also told you that you couldn't mix those minis into an army in tournaments or at their stores, there would have been bloodshed. But as I've noted before FFG has time to course correct and give Imperial Assault players the feeling that they have official support and sanctioning of using their old models in this new game. But either way, I definitely think they should stay away from the Prequels.

12 minutes ago, frankelee said:

I definitely see the point of this post, and I agree, there's nothing ridiculous about IA and SWL being cross compatible. Coming from a Games Workshop perspective, had they put out Necromunda, Mordheim, or Horus Heresy minis at a purposefully slightly different scale, and also told you that you couldn't mix those minis into an army in tournaments or at their stores, there would have been bloodshed. But as I've noted before FFG has time to course correct and give Imperial Assault players the feeling that they have official support and sanctioning of using their old models in this new game. But either way, I definitely think they should stay away from the Prequels.

We disagree. And that's ok!

1 hour ago, Manchu said:

Don't worry about building the models. We are talking about extremely low end on assembly complexity and time. For reference, I had all the Daqan figs out of the RW box set assembled in under 30 min.

Cool! I hadn't seen the unassembled RW figures. I just remember waiting for glue to set while still having another twenty or so Necron warriors to go through. If it's as simple as you say, I'll likely change my tune.

As an avid IA skirmish player, I'm really disappointed that there is no crossover possibility here (because of the size differences). Imagine the potential for multiplying players in both games!!!!! Allowing both IA and Legion to help each other grow would've increased the player-base for both games...but choosing to use different sizes will force many (perhaps most?) players to choose either IA or Legion for their tabletop skirmish game. FFG is cannibalizing its own customer base here, when it would've been so easy to grow it instead.

I would've been so happy to delve into Legion if I could've used my (rather extensive) collection of -painted!- IA figures...and you know how it goes when a gamer starts to enjoy an expandable game....

I 100% agree that this should have been based in the Clone Wars era. During that time, the galaxy was truly at war, with two gigantic factions having battles across the galaxy. Yhe OT era just doesn't work as well because the Rebels could never stand up to the Empire in a fair fight. The Rebels had to use subterfuge, espionage, and hit-and-run tactics to compete with the Empire. That's something that works great in a board game like Rebellion, but doesn't work so well in a miniatures game where armies should be evenly matched. The OT era works fine for IA, though, because the smaller skirmish sizes evokes the imagery of surgical strikes where the Imperials can only muster so much defense. And you would never expect legions of mercenaries, but you would expect a few mercenaries to band together for a quick mission, which once again makes IA a good fit for the OT era.

And on top of the theme being off for this style of game set in the OT, the OT is just boring now. It's been pushed for so long that it's not even exciting to see Luke and Vader in the starter box. Clone Wars, however, would have been awesome! There is a large variety of droids and clones with different weapons that we've seen on screen throughout the CW television series. Contrast that with the variations on stormtroopers and Rebel troopers that are only seen in board games and video games. The Clone Wars also offers a rich diversity of generals to command your army, including both lightsaber-wielders and military officers.

Painting is another issue. If you want screen-accurate stormtroopers, you're stuck with white. Clone troopers, however, have been shown with many different colors, even on the silver screen, so customization and army differentiation would have been natural.

Now, the prequels aren't exactly the most well-loved portions of Star Wars lore, but I think the game itself would be even more compelling than the OT. Honestly, I would be surprised if CW-era factions were not released in the next two years. And when they release, I may just have to look into getting myself a General Grievous and Count Dooku leading a bunch of B1-series battle droids, B2-series super battle droids, and droidekas. Until then, I'll be building my Uthuk Y'llan army for Runewars.

2 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

And on top of the theme being off for this style of game set in the OT, the OT is just boring now. It's been pushed for so long that it's not even exciting to see Luke and Vader in the starter box. Clone Wars, however, would have been awesome! There is a large variety of droids and clones with different weapons that we've seen on screen throughout the CW television series. Contrast that with the variations on stormtroopers and Rebel troopers that are only seen in board games and video games. The Clone Wars also offers a rich diversity of generals to command your army, including both lightsaber-wielders and military officers.

I'm not sure I'd say boring, but this is definitely more on the lines of what I'm getting at. Seeing another Luke and Vader mini makes me shrug. Not in a "well that's lame" way. Just in a "I've already seen it. Pretty cool I guess" way. There's no real wow factor to seeing those two on the box. I think that's what I was getting at when I said stormtrooper fatigue.

Add on to that, if I want the fantasy of putting together a personalized force, I already have way more options in IA. Like, I feel like we won't be seeing characters like Ahsoka and Maul, two IA characters I'm really excited for, in Legion for quite some time. We have to go through Han and Leia and Moff this and General that.

All this to also say, based on the demo videos out there, I already really like the system of Legion, so I wanted to be more excited for it thematically. I'm probably just gonna have to wait through the first few waves of expansions before I jump in. If we get some generic force users, or Inferno Squad, or some sort of customizable commander like the Space Marine commanders from (ugh I know) 40k, then this game would give me something I can't get out of IA.