Distinguishing your army

By BoxerlessBossk, in Star Wars: Legion

So this all looks nice and intuitive in the way it's presented to us.
If they're going to try and get a whole tournament scene going, however, there's going to be Empire vs Empire battles. How are we supposed to know which normal white painted stormtroopers are ours and which normal white painted stormtroopers are our enemy's?

Not an attack, I'm sure there's a very simple answer to my dumb question ;)

The basing. If you do paint your mini then you're going to base it and it will be unique to the owner. If you aren't painting it then you can still put little art markings around the rim of the base. That's how people differentiate in IA typically is base markings.

Flags? When they melee that would still be hard.

Tokens, paintig quality and even if all are painted white there are different tones of white and some may not be painted at all or not painted white.

That's never been an issue in any Imperial Assault match I've seen. The figures are always different, even opposing the Gideons and C-3POs that are everywhere.

As a miniature painter this is one of the things that bothers me. I want to differentiate my figures. I am not an expert on Star Wars lore. Are there alternative markings for the Imperial troops in the lore?

Thanks!

J--

1 hour ago, power500500 said:

The basing. If you do paint your mini then you're going to base it and it will be unique to the owner. If you aren't painting it then you can still put little art markings around the rim of the base. That's how people differentiate in IA typically is base markings.

Eh. I feel like a lot of people are going to go with a basic forest-y base. And unpainted is tournament legal as well. I guess other wargames have overcome this hurdle before, but it still seems to me the bases could have spots to put ID tokens *shrug*

51 minutes ago, Slugrage said:

That's never been an issue in any Imperial Assault match I've seen. The figures are always different, even opposing the Gideons and C-3POs that are everywhere.

Legion seems to rely much more on basic troopers though. Sure, it's not hard to keep track of the position of your own 3PO, but when your squad of 5 stormtroopers meets with your opponent's squad of 5 stormtroopers... There's not gonna be a noticeable difference at a glance.

Oh well, just stop whining and git gud I guess!

I have marks on my base that still differentiate my units from someone elses. The colour of my base, the unit markings, it's quite easy to keep them apart. A lot of the IA Skirmish lists are very similar right now too. At our recent FLGS store championship it was often only one or two figures that were different across some of the lists. No one had any problem knowing who each unit belonged to, even the unpainted lists.

Edited by Slugrage
I spel gud!

This game will be way harder than IA simply because you'll be keeping track up maybe 50 or 100 of your units rather than 5 or 10.

As for differentiating them lore wise, waant super common (would oppose the whole uniformity and wave of endless enemies thing) but like with ties it existed. Could do simple stripes (Like assault stormtroopers, or akin to units like clonetroopers) or due environment specifics like camos.

Remember, when it comes to stormtroopers, pink is the new white. You'll never have your units confused with anyone elses' even if everyone else is confused by you.

5 hours ago, Mep said:

Remember, when it comes to stormtroopers, pink is the new white. You'll never have your units confused with anyone elses' even if everyone else is confused by you.

So I assume you will show us pictures of your pink legions? :P :lol:

Edited by Iceeagle85
5 hours ago, jsalyers said:

As a miniature painter this is one of the things that bothers me. I want to differentiate my figures. I am not an expert on Star Wars lore. Are there alternative markings for the Imperial troops in the lore?

Thanks!

J--

Just go for it man! My Storm Troopers may get a nice deep red from a common GW pant scheme. They will look rad. The reason can be any justification you like.

So if you and your opponent are playing Imperial and you can't tell your models from his, then would it matter if you swapped one of yours for one of his. Neither of you will ever know right as you can't tell the difference.

If it bothers you go buy a set of little round coloured stickers and stick them on the underside of each base.

I think rebels will have lots of inherent variation since cloth and leather can be so many colors.

Stormtroopers will take some creativity. I think shoulder or helmet markings will make a big difference.

Although I'll probably be going way outside the box in empire colors.

I'll definitely be going something other than the standard white. My Imperial ships and squads for Armada have a wide variety of paint schemes so I'll probably do the same here.

I'll paint my troopers in unique colors anyway. Got Blood Squadron in Armada, these are going to be the troopers From that, so Blood Troopers....

I think basing and customizing the figures would be an easy way to differentiate.

In IA I based each "Squad" differently, though it'd look real weird with 10+ squads all on different bases.