Custom bases illegal?

By power500500, in Star Wars: Legion

So I'm absolutely loving EVERYTHING about this game with the exception of one thing: the mountain of plastic they sit upon! Seriously, those bases are thick for the scale. I've already considered mounting them on custom bases with a little less height but do you think that for tournaments you'll be required to have the right height bases. In these sort of miniature wargames height matters for things like line of sight (that little quarter inch matters more than you think, coming from someone who plays a lot of wargames). Anyway, what do you think? Will custom bases be legal for tournament play? Will you custom base them anyway? Do you care at all?

Depends on LOS rules. As long as the base sizes stay the same typically things are fine in most wargames.

If there is any sort of exact measuring involved (IE Range) than you will almost certainly not be able to use altered bases in competition. That said, local tournaments and the like will probably be totally fine, but I wouldn't risk it in anything bigger than store level.

Of course, everything is in the pure conjecture phase right now. It is entirely possible those bases will not even resemble the final product.

depends on the rules.

in WMH LOS is measured from the base. If any part of the base can see any part of another base it can see it. WMH does say that Round Lip Bases are required.

In GW games IIRC LOS is "true LOS" meaning that its from the eye balls of the model.

They may be that thick for the movement tool to interact with.

Yeah, you kind of have to throw conventional wargaming thought out the window when it comes to FFG as there's usually a component for everything (range, movement, etc) We'll just have to see if it uses true line of sight or not.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

They may be that thick for the movement tool to interact with.

that's what I was thinking, too. probably the same thickness as the movement tool.

From the news article:

• "Unlike many miniatures games, you don’t need to measure movement for every miniature in a unit! Once you’ve measured movement for your unit leader, you simply pick up the other soldiers in the unit and place them in cohesion with the unit leader."

So I don't think it's going to matter too much if you re-base your figures, as long as you use the same diameter replacement base. I'm assuming the thickness of the base doesn't come into play. If any forum members that did a demo could chime in, that would be a little more definitive.