How long are games supposed to take? Table Size?

By IceQube MkII, in Star Wars: Legion

For anyone demo-ing, it'd be great to hear general concepts! Thanks!

Edited by IceQube MkII

That is a great question!

Hopefully they're near the 60 minute mark. That seems to work great for X-wing and Imperial Assault.

Seeing as how there aren't map tiles though, you can have larger game mats which translate into larger and longer games.

I just hope they can keep themselves from introducing OP scum/mercenary figures! :P

3 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

I just hope they can keep themselves from introducing OP scum/mercenary figures! :P

You really think FFG isn't going to flood us with expansion packs for this game?

Of course they will. I have fore$een it!

My moaning is more about their tendency to make Scum OP.

Edited by Force Majeure
12 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Of course they will. I have fore$een it!

My moaning is more about their tendency to make Scum OP.

Scum becoming OP is to appease all of us who suffered through Scum being worthless at the beginning of every Star Wars game :) Their time to shine, finally!

In all seriousness though, this game looks phenomenal, but I have to watch and wait and see how it goes. I jumped into Destiny only to be quickly priced out of that game, so I need to get a feel for #1 the ultimate cost of investment and #2 what the community will be like.

I say we have to build up the community ourselves if we want to make that part of it worthwhile. I just stepped into Runewars Minis and it was released, what 2 months ago? So far I've only heard people talk about it in passing. All positive word of mouth, but I still haven't seen any being played at my LGS.

Star Wars being a household name should have an easier time with it though. The main problem I see is that there are SO many SW games out right now that this game is going to pull players from another SW game. Case in point: Imperial Assault (skirmish) already has a weak presence in my area, but there's a presence. Another SW miniatures game can almost assure that there will be less IA being played in stores as this game looks to be Skirmish-like to begin with.

Time will tell.

Edited by Force Majeure

Tables look 3' x 3' when you see the zoomed out perspective but I am not there personally.

I figure if they want to get into 40k territory with this that we will be looking at 4' x 6' tables.

I think if we knew the point totals for the core set it would help us figure it out. Stormtroopers are 44 points and Vader is 200, so if we were looking at say a 1500 point standard game you could field like 29 stormtroopers and Vader? 100% speculation, but would that fit with maneuvering space on anything less than 4' x 8'? Would any less points than that leave this game feeling decidedly non-epic?

I would assume 3x6 like armada as they seem to be fond 3xX sizes.

Whos excited for star wars play mats that arent space?

1 hour ago, BrobaFett said:

I think if we knew the point totals for the core set it would help us figure it out. Stormtroopers are 44 points and Vader is 200, so if we were looking at say a 1500 point standard game you could field like 29 stormtroopers and Vader ? 100% speculation, but would that fit with maneuvering space on anything less than 4' x 8'? Would any less points than that leave this game feeling decidedly non-epic?

Stormtroopers are 44 for a squad of 4 (and there's an 11-point "add 1 trooper" upgrade) so you're looking at 118 Stormtroopers and Vader in those 1500 points, assuming no other upgrades.

Edited by skotothalamos

The product page mentions a 6 Round time limit, just like Armada.

3 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Star Wars being a household name should have an easier time with it though. The main problem I see is that there are SO many SW games out right now that this game is going to pull players from another SW game. Case in point: Imperial Assault (skirmish) already has a weak presence in my area, but there's a presence. Another SW miniatures game can almost assure that there will be less IA being played in stores as this game looks to be Skirmish-like to begin with.

I hear you. Imperial Assault also withered in my community, but I have heard that it is thriving elsewhere. I think it really just depends on the strength of the local community, and it's hard to extrapolate from local circumstances to a global assessment.

In my area, Armada 's Corellian Conflict has given people notions of making something integrated, which brings X-Wing, Imperial Assault , and Legion into a grand game. It is a bit of an organizational and rules-making conundrum, however. Even keeping people on track with a simple Armada -only Corellian Conflict has proven to be a challenge.

Organizing people is hard.

Beasts of War has a preview article up from an advanced playtest they got to do:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/star-wars-legion/coming-tabletop-ffg/

Sounds like 6x3 and 1000 points is what FFG is aiming at for tournaments. Also, the product page on FFG's site say's "1-2 hours." Compare that to Armada's "2 hours" on its product page.

Edited by LazorBeems

This seems like a ground version of armada, from the movement tool, to the lack of a grid, to the 1-2 suggested playtime. I have zero problem with this setup.

I am super excited for this. The larger sized battles alone will make for quite a sight.

This is going to draw some serious attention at gaming tables, just watch.

50 minutes ago, The Black Man said:

I am super excited for this. The larger sized battles alone will make for quite a sight.

This is going to draw some serious attention at gaming tables, just watch.

As a Xwing and Imperial Assault player if this is what I expect this game will take some of both community; I like you am also excited so much so I already pre-ordered it :)