2017 Nationals Championships

By MajorJuggler, in X-Wing

From what I saw I don't really think anyone felt they had an easy path into top 8 from either day. There where plenty of skilled, competitive and dedicated players present both Friday and Saturday.
I understand why some people might dislike the split into 2 flights thing, but given the choice between having just a 64 person National with one flight or having 2 flights to allow up to 128 players, we went with the (imo right) solution to allow as many players as possible from the Nordic Region to participate.

2 hours ago, Holmelund said:

From what I saw I don't really think anyone felt they had an easy path into top 8 from either day. There where plenty of skilled, competitive and dedicated players present both Friday and Saturday.
I understand why some people might dislike the split into 2 flights thing, but given the choice between having just a 64 person National with one flight or having 2 flights to allow up to 128 players, we went with the (imo right) solution to allow as many players as possible from the Nordic Region to participate.

Yeah, as I said a split swiss is a necessary evil in some cases. I will never like it, but it's way better than a running a smaller National tournament

Edited by Sunitsa

How about that top four finish for a tie punisher!?!!!

What up now bicdfes?

Paired with a sigma, no less!

On the off side: Am I the only one who finds it funny that there is a 103 pts list in the top 8 at the russian nationals?

Im kidding of course, it was surely ok but put into listjugg wrongly. It's still funny to me.

Was it literally a 35 person tournament or is listjuggler just wrong?

4 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

Was it literally a 35 person tournament or is listjuggler just wrong?

yep, 35. From Moscow and 8 cities. Hard to increase our cult adopts count without official support at all :-)

But our community built on hope! :-)

(my battle report [on russian of course]

)

Sad to hear y'all aren't getting any official support. It's hard enough getting a gaming community together that travels and has events with official support.

Can't understand a word of the video, but nice work putting one together!

Australian National Championships were held this weekend just gone. List Juggler: http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=3579

It was an interesting top cut in terms of the players involved. Four of the biggest names (Morgan Reid, Jaren and Travis Foss, and defending champion Ben Doyle) either didn't make it or were bundled out in the Round of 16, so from then on it was a wide open field.

Champion: Paul Johnson w/ OP^3

Runner Up: Grant O'Dwyer w/ Quad Wookiees

Top 4:
Xian Yong Lim w/ Kanan + Lowie
Rohnan Browne w/ Dengar + Asajj

Top 8
Akhter Khan w/ Scout Wolfpack
Dan Stallard w/ Kanan + Biggs
Vladimir Piscetek w/ 2x Ion Deltas + Ion PalpShuttle
Robert Eyles w/ Crack Swarm

Top 16
Shannon Rios w/ Scout Wolfpack
Geoff Gartland w/ Whisper + Sabacc + PalpShuttle
Lachlan Moore w/ Ketsu + Bossk
Adam Sherman w/ Dengar + Tel
Jai Pearce w/ Chewie + Leebo
Jaren Foss w/ NymGar
James Hartnig w/ Dengar + Asajj
Ben Doyle w/ Dash + Miri

Edited by DR4CO
1 hour ago, DR4CO said:

Robert Eyles w/ Crack Swarm

This man is my god.

11 minutes ago, Ailowynn said:

This man is my god.

Fun fact: he didn't even know about the Black Squadron spot gloss cards until just before the Top 16 was starting. I have never seen a man more motivated to win a game of X-wing before in my life.

1 hour ago, DR4CO said:

Fun fact: he didn't even know about the Black Squadron spot gloss cards until just before the Top 16 was starting. I have never seen a man more motivated to win a game of X-wing before in my life.

"Men will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."- Napoleon

I knew about the cards from game 1. Just did not expect to be in the running. When I was 4/1 after game 5 I thought "I can f#$king do this!".

8 hours ago, DR4CO said:

2x Ion Deltas + Ion PalpShuttle
Crack Swarm
Whisper + Sabacc + PalpShuttle

What year is it? So cool!

Think about the recent nerf and which squads are now changed drastically. Because these three are not.

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

What year is it? So cool!

Think about the recent nerf and which squads are now changed drastically. Because these three are not.

Yeah... but Harpoons. Kind of hard to run a crack swarm going forward. I guess you can drop Howlrunner and not stay in a tight formation.

I love the Tie/D list.

Edited by Jo Jo
39 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Yeah... but Harpoons. Kind of hard to run a crack swarm going forward. I guess you can drop Howlrunner and not stay in a tight formation.

I love the Tie/D list.

The Tie Fighter would be dead before the harpoon effect would ever hurt the other ones. And if he didn’t die, you just gained a dead man switch in your list and have a dedicated blocker.

Just now, Tbetts94 said:

The Tie Fighter would be dead before the harpoon effect would ever hurt the other ones. And if he didn’t die, you just gained a dead man switch in your list and have a dedicated blocker.

Harpoon procs when they die too.

4 minutes ago, Timathius said:

Harpoon procs when they die too.

The attack that assigns the condition does not trigger the condition, since that condition is assigned after the attack has already resolved. So from my understanding the first harpoon shot won’t do anything if it killed the Tie. You would need multiple Harpoons in the list.

Just now, Tbetts94 said:

The attack that assigns the condition does not trigger the condition, since that condition is assigned after the attack has already resolved. So from my understanding the first harpoon shot won’t do anything if it killed the Tie. You would need multiple Harpoons in the list.

Correct. One harpoon most likely does 1.8 damage to a focused tie. Then someone else shoots that tie, it dies rest of squad takes a damage. Or yes multiple harpoons.

5 minutes ago, Timathius said:

Correct. One harpoon most likely does 1.8 damage to a focused tie. Then someone else shoots that tie, it dies rest of squad takes a damage. Or yes multiple harpoons.

Don’t spend the focus and you sacrifice him to get rid of one of the Harpoons (2.56 expected Damage if attacker has no focus). Not saying it’s an ideal matchup at all. But I don’t see it as some of these 90/10 matchups we had before the FAQ.

Just now, Tbetts94 said:

Don’t spend the focus and you sacrifice him to get rid of one of the Harpoons (2.56 expected Damage if attacker has no focus). Not saying it’s an ideal matchup at all. But I don’t see it as some of these 90/10 matchups we had before the FAQ.

... i mean, a missile that one shots howlrunner in the first round of combat is kind of a big deal though.

Just now, Timathius said:

... i mean, a missile that one shots howlrunner in the first round of combat is kind of a big deal though.

Definitely, but if your Swarm one rounds the other harpoon carrier and two Harpoons are gone. I think that’s also a big deal. The matchup is tough and people are definitely scared, for good reason, but the Swarm player can use different tactics and strategy. Also helps because no one remembers how to fly against swarms.

37 minutes ago, Timathius said:

Yes but any 4 dice missile with mods can kill howlrunner, harpoon or not.

Edited by TheOz
9 hours ago, ThunderchildAU said:

I knew about the cards from game 1. Just did not expect to be in the running. When I was 4/1 after game 5 I thought "I can f#$king do this!".

I remember having to tell you about them. Maybe you were confirming they were actually top 8, not top 4.

Whatever the case, thrilled you got them. :)

9 hours ago, ThunderchildAU said:

What matchups did you face?