2017 Nationals Championships

By MajorJuggler, in X-Wing

13 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Heh, I am amused that Corran is at the top. I seem to recall him being pronounced dead for what, the fourth time, not too long ago.

There is a lot that counters him, just not being used at the moment. Stress control has mostly gone bye bye cuz alpha kills it first. Attanni getting nerfed ends many asajj lists. Anything that carried proton bombs or ion bombs has gone to bomblets that are a joke to corran. Any Ps9 arc dodgers that survived last few waves are now AWAL thanks to nym. Not alot scares corran right now. But meta can easy hurt him if people start flying him. Also, people will quickly start building 50pt nyms with adv sensors that shouldnt get touched by corran in 1v1.

Also, not many in the world can fly Corran perfectly. One mistake ends him quick.

17 minutes ago, AlexW said:

What's the joke for those of us not in on it?

Zack has made reference to his engagements with Nathan a number of times on the Carolina Krayt podcast. Let's just say they don't usually go his way.

The next podcast should be wonderful.

7 minutes ago, wurms said:

There is a lot that counters him, just not being used at the moment. Stress control has mostly gone bye bye cuz alpha kills it first. Attanni getting nerfed ends many asajj lists. Anything that carried proton bombs or ion bombs has gone to bomblets that are a joke to corran. Any Ps9 arc dodgers that survived last few waves are now AWAL thanks to nym. Not alot scares corran right now. But meta can easy hurt him if people start flying him. Also, people will quickly start building 50pt nyms with adv sensors that shouldnt get touched by corran in 1v1.

Also, not many in the world can fly Corran perfectly. One mistake ends him quick.

Fair enough. Still amusing.

1 hour ago, cdr said:

Nah, Corran only regen-ed 11 or so shields, only more than double his HP.

How many Corrans were in the field at Gencon? Or **** at any tournament that Nathan Eide isn't at?

Corran's biggest weakness is Kylo, which is probably in most top Imperial lists at this point. I wonder if Nathan just never got matched up against a RAC. It's a hard counter to his list.

7 hours ago, MajorJuggler said:

Hm, plugging in 9 rounds into Swiss with 475 people would get you about 9 people at 8 wins or higher. A graduated cut doesn't change the top distribution, it just lops off people early that can't get there. I'm getting more like about 225 people total between both flights to get four 8+ win players after 9 rounds.

Anyone there know what the count was?

Miss-typed. I meant 135 and 140 for 275 total. Again, it was my quick math with questionable assumptions.

1 hour ago, defkhan1 said:

Corran's biggest weakness is Kylo, which is probably in most top Imperial lists at this point. I wonder if Nathan just never got matched up against a RAC. It's a hard counter to his list.

I would like to know if he faced any rac Quickdraw lists because it does beat down his squad pretty hard theory wise, kylo kills in two turns and Quickdraw just is asking to get bombed at range one

Lets go see the salt.

Can't wait for the next batch of Nerf-herder tears to get in their F-wings and TIE/RDs (TIE Reddits) to go crying about the state of the meta again.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:37 PM, jagsba said:

I've been told Joe Desmond is 3-1 and Chris Allen is 4-0. No reports on anyone else or what they're flying.

Apparently, Heaver losing to Nathan was all it took to break the curse on @Brunas .

I'M FREE

FFG plz nerf Corran ! So broken ! A new Faq plz ! X-wing is dead ! :P

And no Tie Agressor ! You see the sky is not falling after all with a new TLT carrier ;)

I'm glad Nathan won it. I've seen some of his streamed games in the past and he's definetly one of the best American xwing players.

On another note: how many imperials were there? I have the impression they are underplayed in the USA. But I might be wrong

Currant is imba.

13 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

to be fair, his starting HP isn't a whole lot to begin with :P

To look at it differently, if we add the regened shields to what he had at the end we land at 16 HP. That's a Decimator behind a tokened up 3 agi :P

13 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Heh, I am amused that Corran is at the top. I seem to recall him being pronounced dead for what, the fourth time, not too long ago.

He is dead, Nathan is simply a necromancer. :D

3 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

On another note: how many imperials were there? I have the impression they are underplayed in the USA. But I might be wrong

There were a good number of Imperials in flight 1. I do not have numbers, but I was surprised to see as many as I did.

3 hours ago, Elavion said:

To look at it differently, if we add the regened shields to what he had at the end we land at 16 HP. That's a Decimator behind a tokened up 3 agi :P

That perspective only works in hindsight. If a Decimator takes 5 damage in one round of shooting, you still have a healthy Decimator. If Corran takes 5 damage in one round, you just lost half your list. Anything capable of bypassing shields makes Corran the most fragile ace in the game.

7 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

I'm glad Nathan won it. I've seen some of his streamed games in the past and he's definetly one of the best xwing players

FTFY. Git gud Not America

How many people main the cut for the Saturday event (and does anyone have the full printouts of the final day two standings)? I'm going to create a listjuggler entry for the tournament (TOME doesn't export to lj, and FFG isn't going to create the entry of course :-) )

EDIT: found it, thanks @RadioTCX

EDIT2: here's the links, the lists will need to be crowdsourced, if folks would like to help out! I'll enter the names for places 1-26, please grab 27-54, 55-82

Edited by sozin

I've got places 1-26 in there and put in a couple of lists to get the data crowdsourcing started. cheers

On 8/20/2017 at 3:19 AM, defkhan1 said:

Yeah Imps seem to be doing well in local metas, but they struggle at these large tournaments.

Imps were gaining ground until Wave 11, that's really pushed them back down the pile.

I forgot to do 2 things at this Gencon.

1) Drop an awesome Rigged Cargo Chute that may have equalized a game I was losing.

2) Use my National champ bye from winning a Regional. This would have given me 50 more MoV since my round 1 win was Final Salvo 100 MoV LOL. I never looked at standings, so I'd probably have missed the cut anyways, but would have been closer :P

3 hours ago, phild0 said:

1) Drop an awesome Rigged Cargo Chute that may have equalized a game I was losing.

2) Use my National champ bye from winning a Regional. This would have given me 50 more MoV since my round 1 win was Final Salvo 100 MoV LOL. I never looked at standings, so I'd probably have missed the cut anyways, but would have been closer :P

You didn't forget to absolutely tear me apart for the most minor mistake I've ever made in a game - jesus christ that range game is going to haunt my dreams for a long time :)

But, they wouldn't let you use your regional bye, since it was a continental championship. Budget Nathan tried with no luck

22 hours ago, sozin said:

How many people main the cut for the Saturday event (and does anyone have the full printouts of the final day two standings)? I'm going to create a listjuggler entry for the tournament (TOME doesn't export to lj, and FFG isn't going to create the entry of course :-) )

EDIT: found it, thanks @RadioTCX

EDIT2: here's the links, the lists will need to be crowdsourced, if folks would like to help out! I'll enter the names for places 1-26, please grab 27-54, 55-82

I'll start at 27, let's see how far I get within an hour

Edit: alright, that doesn't take long to simply enter the names, score, mov and strength of schedule. I'm entering "Strength of Schedule" and NOT the extended one, correct? Looks like the first few entries also used the non-extended one. I ask because the first few seem to have two mistakes (Paul Black, Tommy Adams)

But can anyone read the first name of nr53? Lastname is Burwell

I'm doing 55-82, too. Grey means that dropped has to be changed to "true", correct?

Edited by GreenDragoon

@Green Dragon Yes to both! Thanks for helping :)

17 minutes ago, sozin said:

@Green Dragon Yes to both! Thanks for helping :)

My pleasure.

I couldn't read 70, 72, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 81 and 82 due to contrast. Also the MoV of 83 was hidden. The rest is done.

If you need help putting in the list then I'll happily help there, too.

5 hours ago, phild0 said:

I forgot to do 2 things as well:

1.) Forgot to not roll crits when going over asteroids. 4 intentional movements over asteroids in the tournament, 5 total damage from asteroids. One was a crit into Direct Hit, one was just a damage, one was crit onto Major Explosion that rolled a hit, one was safe.

2.) Forgot what my opponent's upgrades were. Over, and over again. Seriously, not my day.