Eldritch Horror to AH?

By hengst2404, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Any of you folks that have a lot of experience with the Arkham series know what it would be like going from Eldritch Horror to Arkham Horror? We have been loving Eldritch Horror, just curious if we would like the other game. IS it worthwhile? Do the two compare at all?

This question could start several feuds, and answers could go as long as a bachelor thesis.

Long story short: the two games are different. EH is lighter than AH; some things are done better in EH, some other things are done better in AH. EH is more reliant on the luck factor, while in AH effective strategy most of the times gives you the victory (beware that getting a really effective strategy in AH is not so immediate). The two games are different enough to be good in the same collection; however, it's worth noticing that not all those who love EH love also AH (or the other way around)

From my experience (observing other players included) transition from Eldritch Horror to Arkham can be quite painful. It has a whole lot more of things to remember about and more bookkeeping. Unless you're well prepared for this, it can be quite frustrating.

AH not AH the LCG. I misread that.

Edited by Robin Graves

Well we were out this weekend and picked it up, so we are going to give it a shot. Certainly in reading through the rule book I see some similarities between the two games. Be interesting to see how they show up during play.

I would be very glad to hear about your group impressions.

Edited by tsuma534

If you are interested in the Mythos theme, Arkham Horror is still worth having in your collection. Especially if you flesh it out with the expansion content...which is just as extensive as in EH. The scope of AH is obviously more focused than EH as it takes place in a single town(or two or three or four) while EH obviosuly spans the entire globe. In fact, it sits nicely between Monsions of Madness and EH as far as narrative scale. So if you have all three you can go from sneaking into a Hunted House, to Local Investigations around town to globetrotting epic adventure.

On the other hand, if you are into EH mostly for the mechanics and gameplay, then you might just want to stick with it as it really does offer a more refined version of the AH gameplay.

Well, we shall hopefully see this weekend. The rules seem far more approachable this time around as I read through them. I guess understanding Eldritch Horror helps one understand some of the core concepts. I definitely had to order one of those wooden inserts on Etsy for the box that organizes cards and tokens and sits in the box. Wish they had one for the expansions as well.

If you're into Eldritch Horror, you might as well pick up Arkham Horror. In fact, it's truly a must to have both games with all expansions for each in your possession. Arkham Horror has a lot more theme and variety than Eldritch does, and the only negative thing I see with Eldritch is that monsters don't move (exceptions being spawn events). In Arkham, monsters move every Mythos Phase, which makes things very exciting. And there's a monster limit too, unlike Eldritch, and when the Monster limit is reached, the terror level goes up. Arkham is definitely a lot more exciting when it comes to the monsters. And there are more ancient ones to fight as well.

On 8/20/2017 at 9:25 PM, Otakuon said:

If you are interested in the Mythos theme, Arkham Horror is still worth having in your collection. Especially if you flesh it out with the expansion content...which is just as extensive as in EH. The scope of AH is obviously more focused than EH as it takes place in a single town(or two or three or four) while EH obviosuly spans the entire globe. In fact, it sits nicely between Monsions of Madness and EH as far as narrative scale. So if you have all three you can go from sneaking into a Hunted House, to Local Investigations around town to globetrotting epic adventure.

On the other hand, if you are into EH mostly for the mechanics and gameplay, then you might just want to stick with it as it really does offer a more refined version of the AH gameplay.

As in "refined," you mean shorter phases. I don't necessarily find it refined, just quicker turns. Pretty much a dumbed down version of Arkham Horror.

OFF topic but .. would be possible to see a stream or videos of a group playing this ? i tried youtube but there is nothing that great there from what i've seen and twitch is almost impossible to catch something with lovecraft.

There's a few written session reports I wrote if you want to get the feeling of how a game could be

6 minutes ago, Julia said:

There's a few written session reports I wrote if you want to get the feeling of how a game could be

yeah i would like to see :) hard to see good records.. lacks quality or experience or info

Link to my SRs hosted on BGG. There are more on this website, but it's more difficult to keep track of them (but if you have patience to skim through the first pages of the forum, you should find some)