So, that 3rd rule-book...

By Duskwalker, in Twilight Imperium

Pre-views of the box-content show that the game comes with 3 rule-books. We know one is the "learn to play"-book and one is the reference-guide, as is standard for FFG games now. But as fare as I can see, the third book is not even mentioned anywhere. So I have been thinking and came up with 3 possible answers to what it is:

Possibility 1: Optional rules. This seams unlikely, as every component in the core-box is already accounted for, so the options for additional rules are limited.

Possibility 2: Fluff. Just background information for the universe.

Possibility 3: Since FFG is probably aware how obsessive the fan-base of this game is, it is possible, that they included rules, how do port aspects for 3rd edition like Mech-units, Distant Suns, Leaders and Representatives to 4th edition. I would like this, because it would give you the option to play with the old stuff while driving home the point that the game is not meant to played like this.

Edited by Duskwalker

It says Lore Compendium on the front cover.

So it is fluff then.

Edited by Duskwalker

Yeah I thought we knew it waa fluff.

Seems like an appropriate place to mention how much I dislike the "learn to play"/"rules reference" format FFG uses these days. Makes it so much harder to actually LEARN the rules.

I disagree. I find that it makes the games more newbie-friendly and also makes it more convenient to look up rules. If I need a summary of what to do, I use the L2P. If I have a complicated question about an edge case, I use the reference.

I'm ok with the split format as long as the rules reference has EVERYTHING in it, just split up. If there's some tiny little rule in the L2P that's not present to be looked up separately in the reference, the ruleset is a failure IMO.

I wish there were just two versions of the rules referances books. I'm In that is alphabetical, the other that is centered around order of play, like a normal rulebook, but without all the fluff. This would be fairly easy implement for the online version. Maybe I'll just make it myself.

Well there is a lot of things even from 3rd edition that isn't in 4th edition. Heroes from 3rd core, shock troops from shattered empire, council from shards of the throne. You could easily house rule them in.

Lets not forget that the Lazax scenario (a real Game of throes in space) is only available in 3rd edition.

Edited by Marinealver

Just read through the lorebook. It's not really much. 24 pages most of which are more full-page artwork with small side bars with a couple paragraphs of background material, there's only two pages that are mostly text. Doesn't seem to provide any new information, just a quick summary of the background. Doesn't seem to provide any new information, just a quick summary of the background.

The full-page artwork is very nice though.

Do they still have the lore on the faction sheets?

Yes they do. I haven't read any of them yet though, so I have no idea if there's anything new in there.

Edited by Forgottenlore