Ship Tech Upgrade Cards

By Archangelion, in Twilight Imperium

Looking at how the new Ship Tech cards work - they're placed on the player sheet over top of the old section - I was wondering how things will work.

There will probably only be one upgrade card for each ship unless the ship upgrades progressively though a set method.

As a new card is placed over the old section it covers everything and changes stats. So in order to have multiple upgrades the upgrades would have to happen in a set order so that some stats don't revert and payed for tech doesn't get lost.

The only way I can think of around this would have been for them to have a shorter card with tabs that fill in the values the card changes. It doesn't look like they did this however. So it looks like if there are more than one upgrade for each ship we will be forced to follow a set path. Engines then weapons etc.

Edited by Archangelion

I'm not sure why there would need to a "way around this." It makes sense that upgrades happen in a set order. In point of fact, I expect there to just be one upgrade per ship, but if there are two or three, the big "I" and "II" on the mat and upgrade cards (respectively) make it clear that any further upgrades would be a "III," "IV," and so on.

What he's saying is that it is not going to be possible for one player to improve his cruiser's capacity to carry troops, but not its speed, while another player improves cruiser speed but not its ability to transport troops.

In the tech tree system you could pick and choose what upgrades to focus on, but from the sound of it, every race will always upgrade a given ship in the same fashion every game.

That does bring up though, that the base dreadnought seems to have a capacity of 1 without modifications, while the base carrier only has a capacity of 4.

Edited by Forgottenlore
42 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

What he's saying is that it is not going to be possible for one player to improve his cruiser's capacity to carry troops, but not its speed, while another player improves cruiser speed but not its ability to transport troops.

In the tech tree system you could pick and choose what upgrades to focus on, but from the sound of it, every race will always upgrade a given ship in the same fashion every game.

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at.

42 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

That does bring up though, that the base dreadnought seems to have a capacity of 1 without modifications, while the base carrier only has a capacity of 4.

I noticed this also. It will make fighter swarm carrier fleets weaker for sure.