Squeeeeee!

By veector, in Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn

Two hour playtime for a civ game? Heck yeah!

Glad to see another game. Will definitely look into getting it.

Also nice to have some different leaders.

the old one was pretty good.. we'll see about this one. Gotta say, love the old games art more.. but maybe thats just me :)

Edited by Arviss

I was wondering if they were going to expand the game again or revise it with some aspects from CivVI. Looking forward to seeing the rules.

P.s. Squeee equals hex boards! You have unlocked the secret to diagonal movement :)

hexes is a huge step in the right direction. squares was the only thing that bugged me about the old game.

Squee, indeed! I'm somewhat disappointed that Napoleon Bonaparte isn't the leader for the French though. And I echo the sentiment that I think that the art for the original looked better, but hexes are going to be a massive game changer. I liked where they were going with the square blocks from the original, but the hexagonal format is simply superior, in my opinion.

I really hope they address the issues in the last game, I was definitely not a fan. In fact FFG's Sid Meier's Civilization ranks as one of the greatest board gaming disappointments I have had since Starcraft.

I really want a big bulky Civilization game, so here's hoping this will be it.

On 14.8.2017 at 9:10 PM, veector said:

Two hour playtime for a civ game? Heck yeah!

Yup. My main criticism of the previous incarnation is excessive play time.

Of course part of the problem was the game's complexity. If it's two hours for a normal group, it will likely take our AP-prone group four hours.

But if we manage to play more than a single turn per hour it'll already count as an improvement...

On 21/08/2017 at 9:21 AM, BigKahuna said:

I really want a big bulky Civilization game, so here's hoping this will be it.

Looking at the game images and going on the 2 hour play time I can't see this being a 'bulky' Civ game - it more looks like a cut down and faster edition for today's more euro-centric gamer, like Twilight Imperium 4 is trying. The hex tiles are great but that probably would not be enough to get me to move to this edition, and now that both the expansions for the original have co-incidentally just appeared at numerous online outlets here (in the UK) I think owners of just the original base game (like me) may spend the cost of the new game on the two expansions instead.

On 10/22/2017 at 1:29 PM, ANZAC_Trooper said:

Looking at the game images and going on the 2 hour play time I can't see this being a 'bulky' Civ game - it more looks like a cut down and faster edition for today's more euro-centric gamer, like Twilight Imperium 4 is trying. The hex tiles are great but that probably would not be enough to get me to move to this edition, and now that both the expansions for the original have co-incidentally just appeared at numerous online outlets here (in the UK) I think owners of just the original base game (like me) may spend the cost of the new game on the two expansions instead.

Yes thats true but length of play does not equal epic feel or vice versus. You can certaintly capture atmosphere and theme on a grand scale and not nescessarily be a 6+ hour game. I think the question is wether this version of Civilization will give justice to the premise and theme on which its based, aka Sid Meiers Civilization or Advanced Civilization the board game as some examples. Truth is up until this point, there have been some descenet efforts but I'm yet to play a Civ game that really captured that mood properly.

The last version felt very benign, with much of the game being fiddly irrelevance, while Eagles Games Civilization had the right feel, but was poorly constructed mechanically, in fact, quite to the contrary to this discussion it was too long for all the wrong reasons.

So I wouldn't rule this one out just because its a 2 hour playtime, in particular given that when a game says its 2 hours it usually means much more. I'm yet to see anyone actually give an honest/fair time frame for a game on a box, the rule of thumb is, whatever its says add at least an hour.

Sorry for my English. I agree BigKanuna, I have never played a game for the time that is indicated in the description. This is especially true of civilization. On average, if we play civilization alive, we spend 3-4 hours on the game. But if we play civilization through a "table top simulator", we spend 4-5 hours on the game. We are happy to play games in civilization even 6 hours)