Any chance of an upgrade kit for 3rd edition owners?

By BillyBabel, in Twilight Imperium

IDK if all the tiles and cards will all be new and different, but fantasy flight has been pretty good about not leaving previous edition owners out in the dark. It would be nice if there was some kind of pack that just gave out the new race sheets and cards.

If you look closely, this edition just has the 17 races from the 3rd edition plus expansions. You can see it in the pic where all the components are laid out.

if all the tiles are the same, it would be nice if there was an option to just buy the new cards and strategy tiles instead of having to buy a whole new 150 dollar game as most of it seems the same to the first game.

I completely agree. It's sorta hard to justify $150 just to have things be shiny and new again. Like I said in the other thread, I can always house rule and print off the strategy cards on nice material for much cheaper. It does look nice, but again it's tough to justify compared to just getting a brand new game or 2 or even 3 for that price.

Yeah... heavy price tag for some streamlined changes if you own all the 3rd Ed content and expansions (as I do). One of my favorites, but not a whole lot changing here...

Well it some things might actually get taken out on top of that. I know that not every optional rule was great, but this purchase seems even sillier if I'm going to lose options instead of gain them.

It will be easier to tell how much has truly changed once the rules become available. It could be as simple as making up some new strategy cards, making some house rules, and going from there. You would achieve the new feel without spending to much.

I also own 3rd edition and both expansions and will happily be paying the 150 for this game. Our gaming group has easily, eaaasilly gotten our moneys worth. If you have a group of 6 regular players, you could all chip in and you are only looking at 25 per person.

I wouldnt expect FFG to release an upgrade kit simply for economical interests; they want us to buy the new version at full price. There might be some that will just houserule their TI3 edition, others that make their own cards and tokens to use with TI3 and some will just continue playing TI3 as is.

But most will buy the new edition to get all the new "bling" and because they love the series so much!

I wouldnt mind the idea but then again ive already preordered TI4 so im kindof indifferent.

It's too bad they didn't stick with with the resource system from TI3 in such a way that we could use the system tiles from it in the TI4 game. We could have had massive galaxies then. Oh well, if I do buy 4 I will probably convert 3 into the Star Wars version.

I would also like this but I wonder is a conversion kit really necessary? Since combat hasn't seemed to change, and he Mech units came with a stat card, why not simply use that stat card for Mechs? Mercenaries have their own stats and special rules printed on them already. Those artifact tokens simply give you a point as long as you control the planet its on...

The only thing I can think of that may need converting would be those ambassador cards since the politics phase is getting a big overhaul.

10 hours ago, Archangelion said:

It's too bad they didn't stick with with the resource system from TI3 in such a way that we could use the system tiles from it in the TI4 game. We could have had massive galaxies then. Oh well, if I do buy 4 I will probably convert 3 into the Star Wars version.

We don't know that the 2 sets of tiles aren't compatible. I would be shocked if they are not the same size, and the new tiles still seem to have Resource and influence numbers. (has anyone dug out 3 and compared the planets in the one picture with the same system from the current game to see if the numbers match? The only question really is those two symbols on the example systems that we don't know anything about. If those are important to something and not having enough of those symbols in play would really detract from the game then it could be a problem, but otherwise I don't think there will be any issue with using the old tiles with the new game.

31 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

We don't know that the 2 sets of tiles aren't compatible. I would be shocked if they are not the same size, and the new tiles still seem to have Resource and influence numbers. (has anyone dug out 3 and compared the planets in the one picture with the same system from the current game to see if the numbers match? The only question really is those two symbols on the example systems that we don't know anything about. If those are important to something and not having enough of those symbols in play would really detract from the game then it could be a problem, but otherwise I don't think there will be any issue with using the old tiles with the new game.

That and if the planet names are the same. Those ones won't be able to be used. But those symbols have me baffled.

Yeah. I can't see matching symbols anywhere in any of the preview pictures so there is no way to even reasonably speculate what they actually do.

The ones we see are the same color as the techs, so I want to guess they are related, but who knows. I find it significant though that all 3 of the planets we can see have one of them though.

I'm thinking maybe something to do with politics and/or objectives. It would be a neat way to cause some movement in the board of suddenly all green (circle symbol) planets now have 1 extra resource, or if you need 4 red (triangle symbol) worlds for 1 VP.

Maybe.

I would like to see some more meaningful laws. I've always thought the political aspect of play wasn't strong enough.

We have had some meaningful votes in our games from time to time. Like, when my fleet was amassed for attack from the Wormhole Nexus, and the galactic senate closed the wormholes. I had to scuttle both War Suns. The most shameful event in military history. :D It's true that those laws are rare, but it's the about the potential and the opportunity. Besides, Public execution and Alien artifact are always fun.

I agree with both of you... there are plenty of votes that have huge repercussions, maybe even too huge sometimes, but the majority of votes (especially pre-expansion) didn't have nearly enough impact on the game to be interesting. Some agendas were also very dependent on when they came out... Minister of Exploration was only really meaningful if it came out in the first two turns, for example.

Part of the problem I've always had with the political stuff is that, in just about every game I've played, a single player always has so many available votes that even all the other players agreed to vote against him, they didn't have the influence to change the outcome.

Maybe is possible to use the distant suns tokens from third edition in this one.. rules seem similari enough to avoid unbalancement

Edited by pella91
15 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Part of the problem I've always had with the political stuff is that, in just about every game I've played, a single player always has so many available votes that even all the other players agreed to vote against him, they didn't have the influence to change the outcome.

...Unless you were doing super well (or were the Yssaril in any kind of shape :rolleyes: ) and could stall out until everybody had passed and/or used their planets. Then sometimes you could swing a vote by yourself, esp. if you had one of like, three cards in the entire deck that actually had an impact on the vote. (Discredit, Thugs, and Bribery are the only ones I can think of that actually affected the vote... Council Dissolved and Veto just prevented agendas from being brought to the table.

Granted, times you could manage that were relatively few and far between.

I'm one of those TI nuts it's "THE GAME" for me ... it may only hit the table twice a year but those are my two favorite days!

So even though I own 3rd edition and all the expansions ... I've already prepurchased 4th Edition