Upgrade Kit

By mitchell.land, in Twilight Imperium

Will there be an upgrade kit which will allow owners of 3rd Edition to upgrade the specific components to 4th Edition?

This would be great!

Short answer:

No.

long answer:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Since they change how research, race abilities, politics, action-cards and strategies work, they would have to replace pretty much every peace of cardboard in the game. That would be a lot of effort to make less money, which is not a FFG thing to do.

Edited by Duskwalker
19 hours ago, Duskwalker said:

Short answer:

No.

long answer:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Since they change how research, race abilities, politics, action-cards and strategies work, they would have to replace pretty much every peace of cardboard in the game. That would be a lot of effort to make less money, which is not a FFG thing to do.

Which is a shame. I don't own 3ed myself, but I do sympathize. I hated when my Second Edition of Fury of Dracula became pretty much "obsolete" to many in my group (this also made me swear I would never buy a future edition of a FFG game I own).

Yeah. Big uncaring shame to loyal fans.

I'm thinking, and I think the only parts that wouldn't need upgraded are the plastic units. Everything else has changed to some extent.

So... yes, there is an "upgrade kit". It includes everything that has been changed between the two editions, plus includes a free set of the 6 sets of plastic units. It costs $150.

So now we can play with 14 players!

10 hours ago, player712426 said:

Yeah. Big uncaring shame to loyal fans.

It's not a question of "caring," it's a question of feasibility. Literally everything has changed except the plastic. This isn't a casual revision; it's a complete overhaul. They'd have to include every single thing from TI4 except the box, insert, and plastic pieces (and then order new, flatter boxes to pack it in). That's less stuff, sure, but it's still a lot of components, and they would still have to cover the same overhead. So if they sold it for, say, $100, would fans buy it or would they complain that it's too expensive?

My suggestion: Make your own upgrade kit by buying TI4 and then selling the plastic for $50. Dunno if that's the price the market will eventually bear, but I know for a fact that some people want to do the "17 different paint jobs" thing and are talking about buying TI4 three times, so I'm sure they'd much rather pay 1/3 the price for just the plastic. (Or wait until this hits stores, then see if those crazy people do buy three copies and then sell off their cardboard and cards for $50 or whatever.)

They're a company in need to make money. If you don't want them to do that, they're out of business, and then there are no games, but a silent forum to complain about it until it goes dark because no one pays the fees.

On 23/8/2017 at 3:03 PM, pklevine said:

My suggestion: Make your own upgrade kit by buying TI4 and then selling the plastic for $50. Dunno if that's the price the market will eventually bear, but I know for a fact that some people want to do the "17 different paint jobs" thing and are talking about buying TI4 three times, so I'm sure they'd much rather pay 1/3 the price for just the plastic. (Or wait until this hits stores, then see if those crazy people do buy three copies and then sell off their cardboard and cards for $50 or whatever.)

TI4 is required only two times if units from TI3 are used.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:03 AM, pklevine said:

It's not a question of "caring," it's a question of feasibility. Literally everything has changed except the plastic. This isn't a casual revision; it's a complete overhaul. They'd have to include every single thing from TI4 except the box, insert, and plastic pieces (and then order new, flatter boxes to pack it in). That's less stuff, sure, but it's still a lot of components, and they would still have to cover the same overhead. So if they sold it for, say, $100, would fans buy it or would they complain that it's too expensive?

And Really, I'm looking for people selling their old IT3 copies so I can buy their plastic and paint them up. There isn't that big of a difference in the plastic, and I think it's okay if some factions have destroyers or carriers that look slightly different. So long as everyone knows what is what it could be cool to have 17 sets of plastic customized for each race!

20 hours ago, IndyBart said:

And Really, I'm looking for people selling their old IT3 copies so I can buy their plastic and paint them up. There isn't that big of a difference in the plastic, and I think it's okay if some factions have destroyers or carriers that look slightly different. So long as everyone knows what is what it could be cool to have 17 sets of plastic customized for each race!

How much could I get for the full 8 plastic set?

I just bought TI 3rd edition with expansion cheap because people apparently think that game isn't playable since there's a new edition.

On 1/8/2018 at 3:04 AM, apegamer said:

I just bought TI 3rd edition with expansion cheap because people apparently think that game isn't playable since there's a new edition.

I don't think people think its unplayable, I think people have been playing 3rd edition for a decade so getting a new edition which got a massive overhaul and is a fresh more streamlined experience was a good deal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 3rd edition, just like there was nothing wrong with my old 95 Honda accord, I just didn't want to drive it anymore and bought a new car to replace it. Someone bought my old one and I'm sure they are happy with it.

Edited by BigKahuna

I agree with the sentiment that it was time for a new version, so that's fair enough.

Realise I've bought TI4 at the very start so I'll get the most out of it before a potential TI5 were ever released, and some owners of TI3 may've bought their version in 2015, 2016 hopefully not 2017.

But even if you did buy it at the start or middle of 2017 for whatever the rrp was, you can sell it on, lose some money, then put that toward the TI4 edition (that is your upgrade kit).