Elven starter boxes x 2 (arc dodger?)

By Thornoo1, in Runewars List Building

I am looking to start with two boxes of elves. This is my first look at an army conncept using just the miniatures in those boxes. It's a slippery little list which tries to stay unengaged, so in some regards its like an arc dodging X-wing list.

I'd put the Leonx riders down first beacuse its a 6 unit list and the tourney rules probably mean I need to place first with this unit count. Then I'd use Aliana's skill to move them later on. The bowelves just shoot and slide everywhere. Then late game charges with the Aymhelin Scions, the Leonx Riders and Aliana after arc dodging to flanks.

Any thoughts?

199 pts
Aymhelin Scions x2 [25]
--Equipment: Pathwalkers Amulet [3]
--Heraldry: Raven Tabards [2]
----------Total Unit Cost: 30

Aliana of Summersong x1 [33]
--Artifact: Malcornes Bequest [6]
--Unique: Ambush Predator [3]
----------Total Unit Cost: 42

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]
----------Total Unit Cost: 17

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]
--Equipment: Wind Rune [6]
--Training: Hunters Guile [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 27

Deepwood Archers x4 [30]
--Champion: Verdant Sorceress [3]
--Music: Rallying Starling [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 47

Leonx Riders x4 [30]
----------Total Unit Cost: 36

My first thought is that you are using a lot of upgrades that are not in the Latari starter box. Also, you have 3 Deepwood Archers units, but you'll inly have 2 command tools if you just buy 2 Latari Elves Army Expansions.

9 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

My first thought is that you are using a lot of upgrades that are not in the Latari starter box. Also, you have 3 Deepwood Archers units, but you'll inly have 2 command tools if you just buy 2 Latari Elves Army Expansions.

I have the starter box and all the Waiqar so cards are not an issue. Didn't think about the command dial. Here's hoping my LGS have a box of archers to upgrade to on the day ;)

That aside, what about the effectiveness of the list?

30 minutes ago, Thornoo1 said:

I have the starter box and all the Waiqar so cards are not an issue. Didn't think about the command dial. Here's hoping my LGS have a box of archers to upgrade to on the day ;)

That aside, what about the effectiveness of the list?

Well, Archers aren't due to release until at least a month after the Latari Elves Army Expansion releases, so the only way to get the third dial is to buy a third box or buy it off someone who is splitting the box and selling individual units. And the upgrades I was talking about were Latari-specific upgrades, like Verdant Sorceress and Rallying Starling that are only available in the Latari Elves Infantry Command Unit Upgrade Expansion. And Hunter's Guile (which you have 3 copies of) is only available in the Deepwood Archers Unit Expansion, not in the Latari Elves Army Expansion.

As for effectiveness, I can't comment because I've only played one 200-point game. Still waiting on the demons. But I'll give it a novice's analysis anyway.

As a list on paper, it looks fine. I like how you have lots of archers to keep the enemy busy while Aliana takes time building up Lethal from Ambush Predator, hopefully getting a good flanking charge on her first engagement. You also should be able to overgrow all of the terrain, if I understand the mechanic right. That'll give your archers some extra bite. It's great because it buffs their melee attack, too, and I think they'll almost inevitably get engaged in melee.

I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get from Raven Tabards on the Deepwood Archers, since you can't charge enemies and your shift will end up at a 5, which is still relatively high. It's good on the Aymhelin Scions, though.

Just now, Budgernaut said:

As a list on paper, it looks fine. I like how you have lots of archers to keep the enemy busy while Aliana takes time building up Lethal from Ambush Predator, hopefully getting a good flanking charge on her first engagement. You also should be able to overgrow all of the terrain, if I understand the mechanic right. That'll give your archers some extra bite. It's great because it buffs their melee attack, too, and I think they'll almost inevitably get engaged in melee.

I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get from Raven Tabards on the Deepwood Archers, since you can't charge enemies and your shift will end up at a 5, which is still relatively high. It's good on the Aymhelin Scions, though.

The Raven Tabards are on the Scions and the Riders with the idea of early moves; to stay away from other mobile units, then charge before enemy activations. I've seen that if you allow the opponent's early initiative actions to dictate what you do there's a real chance of losing your ability to be effective.

I think we're all going to be surprised how much damage elven archers are going to pump out due to Hunters Guile.

Oops. Misread who had Raven Tabards. Good choice.

2 hours ago, Thornoo1 said:

The Raven Tabards are on the Scions and the Riders with the idea of early moves; to stay away from other mobile units, then charge before enemy activations. I've seen that if you allow the opponent's early initiative actions to dictate what you do there's a real chance of losing your ability to be effective.

I think we're all going to be surprised how much damage elven archers are going to pump out due to Hunters Guile.

Better order 3-4 archer expansions then, not sure it'll be quite that useful because it limits your mobility. In a maneuver game, that makes you predictable, and therefore vulnerable.

14 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Better order 3-4 archer expansions then, not sure it'll be quite that useful because it limits your mobility. In a maneuver game, that makes you predictable, and therefore vulnerable.

Fair call, but I think elves are going to have at least one build which is hit and run, 2 initial turns of outmaneuvering, maybe 3-4 turns of shootings, and the other turns moving again. I'm not sure the archer list is going to want to slug it out toe to toe. The Elves also have a banner which enables disengage without gaining a panic token. Kind of reinforces this approach to game play and will really shine against the red human/demon faction.

Based on current upgrades we will have available.

--Artifact: Packleaders Spear [8]
----------Total Unit Cost: 44

Deepwood Archers x4 [30]
--Champion: Dispatch Runner [7]
--Equipment: Tempered Steel [3]
--Training: Rank Discipline [4]

Deepwood Archers x4 [30]
--Champion: Dispatch Runner [7]

Leonx Riders x4 [30]
----------Total Unit Cost: 36

Aymhelin Scions x2 [25]
----------Total Unit Cost: 30

Here's an alternative run using the miniatures in the two boxes but bringing in a few other cards

Deepwood Archers x6 [42]
--Heavy: Support Aymhelin Scion [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 63

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Leonx Riders x2 [18]
----------Total Unit Cost: 22

Leonx Riders x2 [18]

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]
--Unique: Fertile Soil [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 21

1 hour ago, Thornoo1 said:

Here's an alternative run using the miniatures in the two boxes but bringing in a few other cards

Deepwood Archers x6 [42]
--Heavy: Support Aymhelin Scion [4]
----------Total Unit Cost: 63

Deepwood Archers x2 [17]

Leonx Riders x2 [18]

Leonx Riders x2 [18]

Aymhelin Scions x1 [14]
--Unique: Fertile Soil [5]
----------Total Unit Cost: 21

If running just 2x1 Leonx Riders I would use Rank Discipline. And your still using upgrades that probably won't be available when elves launch.

22 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

If running just 2x1 Leonx Riders I would use Rank Discipline. And your still using upgrades that probably won't be available when elves launch.

Its just about the models at the moment.