A-Wing and T-47 size

By Rosco74, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

I am reading Onslaught on Arda and my thoughts are confirmed by the picture of the Arda base representing the A-Wings and the T-47s. For me the T-47s are bigger than the A-Wings and it seems strange that A-Wings are silhouette 3 and T-47s are silhouette 2.

Anyone else feels this is strange.

PS : I checked Wookieepedia and in fact the Awing should be almost twice as long as the T47... the Arda base picture is really not scaling that. I found this comparaison chart as well :

https://www.google.fr/search?rlz=1C9BKJA_enFR664FR664&hl=fr&biw=1024&bih=653&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=diSLWbGNEKrX0gLHpI2QAw&q=star+wars+ship+size+comparison+chart&oq=star+wars+ship+size+compariso&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.1.1.41j0i19k1j0i5i30i19k1.3762.3762.0.4992.1.1.0.0.0.0.118.118.0j1.1.0....0...1..64.mobile-gws-img..0.1.118.-dI4hcSs8MI#imgrc=LexUwo85O7fMoM:

Edited by Rosco74

IMO: It's a game mechanic to demonstrate which one is an air speeder and which one is a starfighter. Sil 1 is for people and small vehicles, Sil 2 is for basic planetary transport like air speeders and walkers, Sil 3-4 is for starfighters and freighters, Sil 5+ is for capital ships.

7 hours ago, P-Dub663 said:

IMO: It's a game mechanic to demonstrate which one is an air speeder and which one is a starfighter. Sil 1 is for people and small vehicles, Sil 2 is for basic planetary transport like air speeders and walkers, Sil 3-4 is for starfighters and freighters, Sil 5+ is for capital ships.

Nope. Silhouette is purely a means of measuring the size of something. For instance, the ATAT Walker is Silhouette 4. It's absolutely huge .

Maybe it's one of the many inconsistencies in the star wars universe.. When I look at the A-Wing, it makes absolutely no sense for it being nearly 10 meters long. The cockpit of the T-47 is for 2 crew, sitting back to back. The A-Wing cockpit is for a single pilot, but seems a bit large, so overall it can be said, thet the cockpit sections should be roughly the same size. The part in front of the cockpit should be also roughly the same size on both vehicles. And same with the aft part, though the A-Wing aft part is slightly larger (larger engine nacelles). But not that much. For me it makes perfectly sense, that both vehicles are roughly the same size, maybe with the A-Wing being 1m longer.

On the other hand.. who really cares?

19 hours ago, P-Dub663 said:

There are several airspeeders of silhouette 4 and 5, and at least one starfighter of silhouette 2.

1 hour ago, MasterZelgadis said:

On the other hand.. who really cares?

I find this dismissal irritating. True, strictly speaking, specifics like this are irrelevant. But that doesn't mean people don't care about it.

1 hour ago, Blackbird888 said:

I find this dismissal irritating. True, strictly speaking, specifics like this are irrelevant. But that doesn't mean people don't care about it.

I wanted to say, that no one who is watching the map in game will start a big discussion, that the speeder is in relation to the A.Wing possibly too big

Page 225 of AoR CRB only mentions size. However, when mentioned again on p236, the text reads "silhouette is an abstract number, used to describe a ship or vehicle's size and mass relative to other ships and vehicles." (emphasis mine)

Taking mass into account, the materials used in starship drives, and especially hyperdrives, would give the A-Wing higher mass than a vehicle that only had repulsorlifts. Back in the WEG days, it was explained that power output also made vehicles easier to target. I guess I assumed that was the case in FFG games, too, but it doesn't appear to be written anywhere. So for those who need an explanation, I think the greater mass and power usage would be what make the A-Wing a more viable target- at least until the sensor jamming unit is activated.

Edited by GM Stark

Good call, thanks that's a good reason

The whole Arda Base map is completely out of scale. The hangar is reported on page 21 to be "two kilometres" in size, and to contain 24 starfighters (4 A-wings, 4 X-wings, 4 Y-wings, 12 Z-95s) and 8 T-47s.
Yet the map on page 39 shows 8 starfighters and 3 T-47s barely squeezing into a hangar that - going by the scale of the X-wings - is no more than about 70 metres across, at most.

The upshot is that I wouldn't give any credence to the page 39 pictures of A-wings vs T-47s.

Silhouette is not equal to size, but an combined value of agility, size, target profile, etc.

Though the T-47 is 5m long, while the A-Wing is significant longer, because its engine section and its nose are much, much longer. It's basically 10m vs 5m.
Now I could start ranting about TIE-Fighters and how they should be Sil2, but I have the feeling that they are designed as cannon fodder for the players. All the TIEs lack in performance, despite their great performance shown in the movies and spaces sims. The TIE-Defender is just said.

Snowspeeder.png

A-wing_DICE.png

If you want to go by Wookieepedia, the A-wing is 9.6 meters long while the T-47 is only 4.5 meters. Yes about half the size overall, but it also goes to show that silhouette, at least the lower numbers, can vary by only a small amount. Example being R2-D2 is a silhouette 0, Han and Chewie are silhouette 1, and the T-47 or Speeder bike are 2s.

Right.. I think Cheewie is the same size the speederbike if he prone :P

On 9/10/2017 at 6:04 PM, Rosco74 said:

Right.. I think Cheewie is the same size the speederbike if he prone :P

Oh great. I just had an image of Chewie laying across a speederbike growling, and a subtitle reading "paint me like one of your Twi-lek girls."

This is the kind of thing that makes me crazy so I get what you are saying. I would recommend that you make the T-47 bigger rather than making the A-wing smaller. If for some reason the T-47 were to get into fighter combat that would keep it from having an advantage in silhouette differential. Off the top of my head I don't remember the AT-AT size but I imagine it's like 5 or 6 so either way it's gonna be a Hard target for the AT-AT gunners. I always pictured the T-47 as having overlarge guns for its size and I kind of think of it like the A-10 warthog: a ground attack aircraft with armor and big guns. Not really the best for air to air despite it's nimble flight characteristics.

RTRN5CN.jpg

The Map in Arda is out of scale, as pointed out already. I think the silhouettes are bang on. T-47s are tiny and that is by design. They don't have a hyperdrive or concussion missile launchers. They don't have the power to leave a planets atmosphere let alone provide life support for a crew. And no shield generator. Think of it like a P-51 mustang.

An Awing is a space superiority fighter. It has hyperdrive, life support, shields, missile launchers, the most powerful sub-light engines on the market. Think of it as a F-22 Raptor.

Image result for f22 size comparison

beautiful planes