Waiqar from a total noob

By Jeckyll, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

So I have the drawing skills of a 5 year old so I thought why not let's see if I can paint miniatures. And after hours and hours I have something I'm just slightly happy with.

Feedback would be great

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

The mini has some clean paint lines. You might consider using a wash over the metal areas. The base has some good coloring and texture. Overall, it's a very worthy tabletop figure that you should be happy with.

Thanks. I did paint some ink on it, but decided not to highlight it as I tried to just paint the wash on selected areas where shadows would be natural.

Looks good!

I think what Hawkman was trying to get across is that the armor is very pristine, considering the guy has been dead... for a while.

Maybe on some of your other skellies you can experiment with a dark wash to add grime to the armor and maybe some rust too.

Again, excellent work. Keep it up!

3 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Looks good!

I think what Hawkman was trying to get across is that the armor is very pristine, considering the guy has been dead... for a while.

Maybe on some of your other skellies you can experiment with a dark wash to add grime to the armor and maybe some rust too.

Again, excellent work. Keep it up!

I would say more it is a good start, and clean work for someone new certainly, but a lack of shading or highlights makes it very.. flat? My early work (ties) was not near so crisp.

Either way, keep up the good work and keep at it.

Haha yes the guy looks like he sits in a castle and chills most of the time.

yep he's probably a bit too flat. :) Thanks for the feedback

Id agree with the others , a watered down wash of brown ink like army painter strong tone over the whole model would really make it pop, Love your basing by the way ,

1 hour ago, undercoverdemon said:

Id agree with the others , a watered down wash of brown ink like army painter strong tone over the whole model would really make it pop, Love your basing by the way ,

Any wash over a whole model will do little, except make it look dirty and sloppy (and the OP has obviously worked hard on clean lines he doesn't need to hide under a mop wash either). If you are going to mop wash, you definitely need to highlight to offset it. The good old minimal effort wash and dry brush is where most people start for a reason (reasonable results with minimal effort or tool box required).

Edited by Darthain
2 hours ago, Darthain said:

Any wash over a whole model will do little, except make it look dirty and sloppy (and the OP has obviously worked hard on clean lines he doesn't need to hide under a mop wash either). If you are going to mop wash, you definitely need to highlight to offset it. The good old minimal effort wash and dry brush is where most people start for a reason (reasonable results with minimal effort or tool box required).

Yes I only do the wash where I think there should be a shade. I understand that I've done a bit to little of shading.

7 minutes ago, Jeckyll said:

Yes I only do the wash where I think there should be a shade. I understand that I've done a bit to little of shading.

I work the same way, and it is pretty tricky at first. The biggest problem with miniatures is you need to almost double down in shading and highlighting, really pushing it to see it from any distance but nose in the figure. It takes some getting used to, and can look downright awful until all the steps are in place.

I agree with the others wash the whole model. Then go back and highlight the area that are not in shadows with your base colors, thin the paint a little. Hit the exposed plate on his back, helm, and chest, be cautious to not get in the creases where your was is.

Now take the next brighter color, such if you used platemail use silver, the hit the edges where light would hit such as the crown of the helm, poltroons, edge of the axes, or upper edges of armor.

This may look to bright thats' okay, when it dries it will go darker.

Once your done you'll want to seal it with a matt varnish, this will seal the model and help resist chipping.