For all those who missed it

By TheMOELANDER, in Star Wars: Rebellion

You could find the cost for the rebel ships in the "A Galaxy at War" article. There was no link in the text, but if you clicked the "next pic" button on the preview you would eventually come to it.

So here it is in all it's glory.

sw04-rebel-faction-sheet.jpg

Thanks, I was wondering why they didn't put the cost of the Rebel units, I totally missed it

Those rebel blue triangles are pretty packed. 4 units built off of them!!! I never seem to get enough of them under my control.

On 29.7.2017 at 5:45 PM, Jobu said:

Those rebel blue triangles are pretty packed. 4 units built off of them!!! I never seem to get enough of them under my control.

Well, that works with the story doesn't it? Most of the Alliance military power came from starfighters, and still they struggled getting them.

Alright, I know they want to make use of the new green dice. And I know these units are representative of combined arms groups. But the Vanguard is poorly designed.

Vanguard is clearly designed to handle AT-ATs and AT-STs. Heavy weapons like that would be less effective against infantry. The Imps clearly have a strong collection of vehicles, so this unit makes sense with a 1 red attack and 1 black health. Rebels have to decide what to take. Anti-infantry, or anti-vehicular weapons. Giving it a green dice seems weak. It's barely batter than regular infantry at taking out vehicles, and it's way worse at taking out infantry. I'd want some to trigger certain tactic cards, but that's it. This one could have been interesting.

Turret is fine I suppose. Might have made more sense with red attack dice, but 2 green isn't bad. Definitely see this getting some action.

Neb B is odd. More health than the corvette, but worse attack. Neb has 2 green, while the Corvette has 1 red and 1 black. I suppose this is a mater of having to fit something into a rather tight format. I prefer the Corvette attack, but the Neb B has more health (and transport). Tough call. Going to want at least 1 Neb for the final defense as that is when you are most likely to max dice.

U wing is interesting. This one may have some serious implications. I've never liked the transports. No combat ability, and built from the triangle which means giving up Xs or Ys. The U-Wing plays an interesting role. Same health as other fighters, and the 1 green attack die is a step down from either, but still usable. The 1 transport is the most interesting part. This gives the rebels a little more maneuverability.

3 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

Alright, I know they want to make use of the new green dice. And I know these units are representative of combined arms groups. But the Vanguard is poorly designed.

I think they are fine, considering that the Empire has the near-equivalent "Assault Tank" unit.

Vanguard is clearly designed to handle AT-ATs and AT-STs. Heavy weapons like that would be less effective against infantry. The Imps clearly have a strong collection of vehicles, so this unit makes sense with a 1 red attack and 1 black health. Rebels have to decide what to take. Anti-infantry, or anti-vehicular weapons. Giving it a green dice seems weak. It's barely batter than regular infantry at taking out vehicles, and it's way worse at taking out infantry. I'd want some to trigger certain tactic cards, but that's it. This one could have been interesting.

The vanguards literally have 2x the probability of damaging red-health units than regular Rebel troopers. Also I'm pretty sure there's a tactics card you can play that requires a Vanguard that allows you to deal 2 red damage. The green dice are not as bad as you think, especially when you consider that leaders now allow you to re-roll dice every combat round. This cuts down on how many blanks you get.

Neb B is odd. More health than the corvette, but worse attack. Neb has 2 green, while the Corvette has 1 red and 1 black. I suppose this is a mater of having to fit something into a rather tight format. I prefer the Corvette attack, but the Neb B has more health (and transport). Tough call. Going to want at least 1 Neb for the final defense as that is when you are most likely to max dice.

One of the Rebels' main issues is that they run out of new units they can place on the build queue because they're limited to only 4 corellian corvettes (1 to start, and 1 if you get that sweet first-turn Utapau). I've once (as Rebel player) started with 3 corellian Corvettes on my first turn thanks to "Temporary Alliance" and "Build Alliance." Technically if you have first-turn "Establish Trade Relations" you can potentially get all 4 Corellian Corvettes right off the bat on your first turn. Being able to carry 3 units is also super nice because it means you're not as heavily reliant on Rebel Transports which I'd prefer not to take the place of my X- and Y-Wings.

U wing is interesting. This one may have some serious implications. I've never liked the transports. No combat ability, and built from the triangle which means giving up Xs or Ys. The U-Wing plays an interesting role. Same health as other fighters, and the 1 green attack die is a step down from either, but still usable. The 1 transport is the most interesting part. This gives the rebels a little more maneuverability.

I'm not sure how I feel about the U-Wings yet. They seem worse than Y-Wings for taking out Imperial transports. I guess they're okay for strike missions from the Rebel base since they can carry units??

I don't think you're supposed to necessarily rely on the vanguard- I think it's just to add some strength to your groups. If you're already got 5+ Rebel troopers in a system (or are rolling any other combination of 5+ black ground die) then it only helps to diversify your die pool a bit.

Also, consider that the new Imperial ground units are not quite as powerful as the Rebel ones- the Shield bunker is cool, but offers no offensive capability. Assault tanks offer support, but seem a poor choice for Imperials who already have far more reliable and obtainable means of both black and red damage- unless, of course, an army is already pretty much maxed out on those.

I'd take a Golan turret over both the tank and the Vanguard on any day, but I think that orange triangle tends to be a pretty common production resource for the Rebels anyway, so it shouldn't be hard to diversify.

Green units are fine for the Imps. They are a huge advantage actually. It's easy for the Imps to max out dice rolls in 1 or even both colors. The Imp tank and tie striker are straight up benefits to the Imps as it allows them to add to their dice pool.

The Rebels don't have the same luxury. Sure, the vanguards are great if you already have 5 troopers in one location and you can afford to add more troopers...but when the heck does that happen? The rebels don't max out dice rolls but on a rare occasion (base defense usually).

Yes, I'm aware that a vanguard has twice the chance to do red damage, but that's not a great reason to use them. Take a look at the units and their stats. A trooper has 2 hits, a critical, and a block (or draw). The vanguard has 2 crits. The trooper against infantry is going to score a useful roll 4 out of 6 times. A vanguard is going to score a useful roll 2 out of 6. Against red targets, they tie at 2 each. Sure, an argument could be made that damage is more useful than blocks, especially for the rebels, but those blocks could keep units in the fight longer. As I said, they are useful to trigger tactic cards, so having one at each critical defense position has a use, but they are honestly straight up worse than a standard trooper. Beyond all that, a great overall strategy is trying to wipe out Imperial infantry and infantry production...which the vanguards don't help with. Trying to wipe out vehicular support is almost impossible even with the new rebel tools.

Had the vanguards been straight up red dice attack, they would have been a GREAT addition. 2 hits, 1 crit, 1 block. The Imps now have three red hp ground units. Having a triangle based unit that could help fight off that threat would be good.

Against all infantry, you'd rather have troopers. Against mixed forces, again, troopers prevail. The only time vanguards become advantageous is against an all vehicular enemy.

I'm not saying I hate them. I'm not saying I won't use them. I'm just saying they are weak, and could have played a much better role in the game. All of the new Imp units serve a purpose. The rest of the new rebel units have roles. The vanguard unit seems to be only useful for scaring off ATs and tanks via the tactic card that has multiple tactic card counters that negates that advantage.

1 hour ago, kmanweiss said:

The Rebels don't have the same luxury. Sure, the vanguards are great if you already have 5 troopers in one location and you can afford to add more troopers...but when the heck does that happen?

Not a ton on the map, but they'd be valuable to a turtling strategy at the Rebel base.

Edited by subtrendy2
1 hour ago, kmanweiss said:

Green units are fine for the Imps. They are a huge advantage actually. It's easy for the Imps to max out dice rolls in 1 or even both colors. The Imp tank and tie striker are straight up benefits to the Imps as it allows them to add to their dice pool.

The Rebels don't have the same luxury. Sure, the vanguards are great if you already have 5 troopers in one location and you can afford to add more troopers...but when the heck does that happen? The rebels don't max out dice rolls but on a rare occasion (base defense usually).

The counterargument would be that this is precisely WHY they're valuable to the Rebels. They don't have the resources to max out dice rolls, so the green dice make it easier to be ready for whatever need arises with fewer resources. You trade out a bit of reliability for some flexibility.