New Purpose for Spells

By Alarin, in Talisman

Hi,

We came up with this house rule and it is tle only one from what we tried that works very well and naturally, so I would like to share it with you guys. We don't play the PvP aggresive style very much, we like the leveling and exploring way better and that led to avoiding spells because they are mostly pretty nasty against players, Or the spells are useless and you want to get a new one. Which was too bad, as the spells and casters are cool.

So, its bacically a general rule for the whole game - You may cast the spell normally or you can cast that spell but ignore all written text and treat it as +1 to any die (except the battle as there is already so many mechanics compared to the psychic combat .

You just discard the spell (we count it as casting the spell) and prevent yourself from being killed by the Reaper when you roll 1 for exapmle. Something like disenchanting.. You ignore the true power of the spell, but you still extract the essence of magic from it to make the odds woth in your favour... or something.

We always want to have at least one spell as an insurance, juct like you always want to have at least one Fate. It's funny how hard is getting the spell sometimes :D we never focused on it. Now when I have 6 Gold in the City, I can't decide if to buy the Flail or the Spellbook heh.

Another benefit for us was that we bought a lot of expansions in a short period of time as there were the last pieces in the stores, and with this house rule - we are able to discover many of the in one play.

Try this one :) it's fun.

Mmh... Spells are too much powerfull.

I've already house-ruled the fate for a +/- 1 on dice

Not only makes spells more powerful (they don't need it). It also allows casters to cycle useless spells, which makes those characters even more powerful.

But that's the nature of the random chance game right? I mean, otherwise, those strength-based characters who have taken the lead by some decent encounters with monsters and becoming incredibly strong make the game a foregone conclusion. The whole point of Talisman is that its chance and faffing around as a super power instead of heading towards endgame still has its risks.

1 hour ago, Lord Kalten said:

But that's the nature of the random chance game right? I mean, otherwise, those strength-based characters who have taken the lead by some decent encounters with monsters and becoming incredibly strong make the game a foregone conclusion. The whole point of Talisman is that its chance and faffing around as a super power instead of heading towards endgame still has its risks.

But that's the state of the game without this expansion.