Cursed Signets + Dispatch Runner

By Parakitor, in Runewars List Building

I was toying around with Cursed Signets and realized that it could potentially be useful for Reanimates that are supported by a Dispatch Runner. You might have read a post elsewhere where I was so excited by this. Turns out, it's tricky to get the most out of this combo. Here's my first crack at it.

Reanimates (12 tray) [64]
- Ardus Ix'Erebus [23]
- Cursed Signets [3]
- Triumphant Cry [3]
- Lingering Dead [3]

Reanimates (6 tray) [35]
- Dispatch Runner [7]
- Profane Banner Bearer [5]
- Tactical Drummer [2]

Ankaur Maro [4]
- Violent Forces [6]
- Fortuna's Dice [6]

197 TOTAL

Your main block of Reanimates is the heavy damage dealer with Ardus Ix'Erebus. Lingering Dead allows it to hit hard, even after taking a hit, and you should be destroying things, so Triumphant Cry will be helpful to set up the next attack. Cursed Signets, we'll come back to.

So the secondary block of Reanimates uses Dispatch Runner to cause your heavy hitter to attack again. Unfortunately, they receive a stun token, but Cursed Signet means they just lose a Reanimate, which hopefully comes back with the Regenerate ability combined with Lingering Dead. They also have Tactical Drummer to get out of a bad position (I don't know, I like that upgrade, but it's not necessary). And finally, Profane Banner Bearer so that a) enemy ranged attacks can't snipe Ardus Ix'Erebus off of the large block, and b) so that Ankaur Maro doesn't get hit when he's low on health from adding trays of skeletons.

Here's the problem I'm running into: who cares if the giant Ardus block of Reanimates has a modifier? That Morale modifier could potentially stack up if it's big block vs. big block. But that's about it, and I have no upgrades to take advantage of, for example, the white Skill modifier. I could drop Ardus for a Necromancer to increase healing, but then the big block isn't necessarily hitting very hard, and if you have only one Natural rune showing, then Necromancer nets you only 1 figure after Dispatch Runner procs (not counting damage from the enemy). With three Natural runes, you'd be glad to have taken Necromancer because he nets a total of a tray and a half including end phase healing, allowing Ankaur to shoot and heal, rather than add trays.

I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I think there is something here, but I just haven't quite found it yet.

I think i was trying something to this effect right when cursed signets came out. Just never thought the damage was worth getting a bonus morale result. If they could dial in a hit, or get a good special ability maybe, but I dont think its worth it just for a morale test.

I agree with you. Best I can come up with is the Support Carrion Lancer + Death Caller + Cursed Signets. If you are a big enough unit, there is a decent chance you will have a target beyond that with which you are engaged. Only trouble is that it doesn't do a whole lot to opposing infantry. But Siege, Cavalry, and Hero units will hate it.

So here's another thought, maybe a little off the wall. The big problem with big units is that they are difficult to maneuver. If you have two big units, you will have trouble getting both onto a target, because your opponent will position their forces to only take damage from one, but not the other, right?

What if you had two big units, and each had Dispatch Runner? Then it's as if they both hit a target, because one will be engaged, and the other will give them an extra melee attack. Do you think that has more legs than the Cursed Signets + Dispatch Runner? (Now that I'm writing this, I feel like maybe this has been discussed before. If you know where, please direct me, because I'd love to read up on it.)