Rebel Extremist?

By LukeZZ, in Star Wars: Rebellion

I don't understand how the Rebel Extremist action card works...

In this page:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/14/daring-heroes-and-dastardly-villains/

It says:

"Since even the Rebels view Saw as a Rebel Extremist , you might suffer a point of reputation when you recruit him, but you can put him to use immediately."

But... every Leader you recruit is immediately placed in your Leader Pool.

What am I missing?

sw04-rebel-extremist.png

Edited by LukeZZ

A new starting action card? If you draw it you can choose to start with five leaders at the cost of taking a reputation hit?

4 hours ago, Uglymug said:

A new starting action card? If you draw it you can choose to start with five leaders at the cost of taking a reputation hit?

This is correct.

As noted it is a new starting action card. Recruit Saw for an extra leader at the outset at the cost of a reputation or draw a new card. You'll potentially start the first turn with an extra leader.

I'm so torn on this one.

Extra leader is amazing! Very powerful. You could get some extra missions completed, or be able to move more troops. It could make your earlier plays more powerful.

But the rebels tend to have an excess of leaders, and early on you may not even be able to keep them all busy if you don't have good missions. Might give you some more counters to enemy actions though.

With the new established leader limit though, you aren't really getting an extra leader so much as just getting an earlier leader. And when considering the loss of reputation and the potentially limited uses of the early leader, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I kind of wish that the leader limit was 9 instead of 8. I think it would make getting an extra leader good, but limits you to only one extra leader.

It is a simple houserule, but that kills Motti's action card. So I will have to think about it once the xpac releases.

Hmm, interesting.

I was wondering what advantage Saw might offer (he doesn't look all that particularly better than the average leader) but as a starting action card this may change things.

I guess he could be used to help double up on important missions, but I don't see the Rebels needing to actually move troops often on the first turn. At least, not in my groups.

42 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I guess he could be used to help double up on important missions, but I don't see the Rebels needing to actually move troops often on the first turn. At least, not in my groups.

Never wished you could move one fleet and play Build Alliance, Sabotage, Infiltration and Rapid Mobilization all on the first turn? ; )

Having one more leader might also help in achieving the last turn advantage, for things like Sabotage (Empire cannot immediately remove it with R&D) etc.

1 hour ago, Bron Ander Haltern said:

Having one more leader might also help in achieving the last turn advantage, for things like Sabotage (Empire cannot immediately remove it with R&D) etc.

Ah, now that's a good call. I like that

5 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Ah, now that's a good call. I like that

Especially in a 2 player game where that isn't guaranteed on turn one.

It's also worth noting that Rebel starting leaders aren't exactly flush with combat symbols, arguably making Saw more valuable at the outset than he would otherwise be.

23 minutes ago, Brianish said:

It's also worth noting that Rebel starting leaders aren't exactly flush with combat symbols, arguably making Saw more valuable at the outset than he would otherwise be.

That's true. An extra leader plus a somewhat decent counter to a Vader capture might just be worth that hit to reputation.

"Either draw 1 starting action card" What does this mean?

Do I get the cards from the discard pile? I don't understand this card.

Edit: I just noticed that this card doe snot have a medal symbol on it and itself is a starting action card. If you draw it as one of the starting action cards, you either get a different one or get an extra leader at an expense of losing one reputation.

Edited by robertpolson