Assemble AT-ST before or after painting?

By pokeymonkey, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Hi guys

Very new to painting but really enjoying it so far. I've painted most of the Imperial forces but haven't yet started with the AT-ST.

I've been following Sorastro's guide and noticed that he assembles it before painting. Would it not be easier to paint it first? Are there any downsides to this?

Thanks, Dave

I painted each bit separately (the "arms" blu-taked to my table). Then put them all together just before ink/wash. Helped me drybrush the head a little easier I found.

48 minutes ago, pokeymonkey said:

Hi guys

Very new to painting but really enjoying it so far. I've painted most of the Imperial forces but haven't yet started with the AT-ST.

I've been following Sorastro's guide and noticed that he assembles it before painting. Would it not be easier to paint it first? Are there any downsides to this?

Thanks, Dave

For me it depends on the figure.

A figure like the Bantha Rider has those big horns that are tough to paint behind once it's put together and it could be hard to paint inside his mouth. It's also easier to paint the tusken on top without having to move the whole bantha around while you're doing it. In that case I found it way easier to paint the head piece and the rider separately before gluing it all together.

For the rancor I would definitely glue it first for a few reasons. One is that (at least on my figure) there are some pretty noticeable gaps between the pieces, so gluing it first gives you the ability to use some green stuff to smooth it out. Also, if you're trying to apply highlights or colour blending or whatever it tends to look better if you have the figure all together first. Otherwise, when you glue it you might find that you get a sudden colour transition where the pieces meet which would kind of spoil the effect.

For the AT-ST though, the joins don't really need to be smooth (e.g. there's supposed to be a line between the 'head' and the gun) and its pretty much one solid colour. I don't see any harm in painting everything separately. With that said, though, it's still not that hard to get in to all the cracks even once it's put together. So in this case I'd say you're probably good either way, so do whatever seems more convenient to you :) .

I prefer to paint with the pieces already assembled and glue. It can be a little more tough, but I guess it's just how I've always done it, and I'm stubborn in my ways. :P

Also, it's nice to see the unit as it's meant to be, while painting, if you need to visualize it any.

I painted my AT-ST and General Weiss fully assembled and glued, partly because I was using them well in advance of that in the campaign. If I had it to do again, I would probably dry fit them while painting them so I could take it apart to get to some of the tough spots. But the spots that are tough to get to are also kind of tough to see, so no harm if it isn't perfect.

Although I would assume by now, two weeks later since you first posted, your AT-ST is painted. I painted all my AT-ST in pieces. I have actually painted all of my sectional figures in pieces. I would assemble them at the point of applying any dry brush effects and or washes to ensure an even application. It would be frustrating for me if it was fully assembled and at a later application stage you realized you missed a spot and had to go back to a previous colour.