Co-operative Runebound?

By Grixnair, in Runebound

When we play Runebound we tend to play in a cooperative manner rather than doing PVP, especially when I play with my son. He's only 7, so it wouldn't be fair, after all little kids always get the best luck with combat dice and I wouldn't stand a chance.

Are any of the expansions specifically geared towards this style of play? Are there any I should avoid?

Many of the mini-decks are designed to produce more PVP conflict; none are designed to promote cooperative play. You'll likely want to avoid the class decks. The Midnight big expansion is also not cooperative; in fact, it features an "overlord" player against the heroes.

The class decks are designed to build characters and promote more PVP.

The other mini decks are a mixed bag, but it is easy enough to cull the decks to eliminate those that promote PVP.

Be mindful when enlarging your decks to keep the number of event cards in balance or you'll not get as many chances to refresh the board if your encounter decks are chock full o' critters.

Someone on BGG asked the same questions...here's a link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/361895

1st reply lists threads pertaining to Co-op play

also a little down the thread , a poster mentions:

The Seven Scions (mini xpansion)

Midnight (big box xpansion, discontinued).

Funny, that would be me asking that question on BGG. I have played a solo-game using Mr.Skeletors Co-Op rules and Threat track and all that. It was relaxing fun! I think you can play this game co-op style almost straight from the rules. Just use the Threat track rules (look on BGG) and forget about the Doom-track it doesnt exist anymore. After you played some games i think there's enough room in the rules to bend it even more into a coop experience. Just be sure to try out a couple of games before that!

Cheerio!

Why was Midnight discontinued?

Having played this a fair amount, our group tends to avoid the PVP aspect, and just enjoy laughing when the players get pwn'd by the challenges.

The PVP is just too ruthless, and makes the game that much harder to complete. I think mostly it's the loss of gold and highest item/follower plus whatever the player took makes PVP very nasty.

Try "The Seven Scions" card expansion pack from the third wave of expansions.

This is a different end game expansion but also has rules for Co-op play.

The rules used to be posted on the old FFG website so they are probably here also for you to check out.

Gargamel said:

Why was Midnight discontinued?

lack of commercial success and critical acclaim?

from what I've read it's the least played and worst rated of the big RB expansions