Dawn of Rebellion Sourcebook

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Disney didn't even really change anything. Lucas was already retconning the EU left and right, Disney just made it an official stance instead of an unspoken one :P

“I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.” – George Lucas, from an interview in Starlog #337

37 minutes ago, Ebak said:

As a long time Star Wars fan I am perfectly fine with Disney culling the EU. It's not all it was cracked up to be and really...this is a fantasy world we are getting bent out of shape about.

While peoples opinions are peoples opinions...I don't get the perspective of "I hate Rebels because it messed with an imaginary legacy that Disney already disclosed they were getting rid of for a perfectly legitimate reason." I don't get why the existence of Rebels somehow invalidates the EU especially when, in my opinion, Rebels has good content that stands on its own.

Yes the EU had some great stuff. It also had stuff that should be forgotten, or for some reason gets a free pass "'cuz legacy of EU".

Besides, we all know select members of this community wouldn't get this book anyway. It clearly doesn't have 'Edge of the Empire' in big letters on the cover and thus is not eligible for their collection.

I don't think I've encountered this mentality, ever.

I've either seen the "all the Expanded Universe is abominable *****" camp or the "there's some good stuff, but there's plenty of rubbish to sift through" camp.

I find that a large portion in the first camp, incidentally, actually haven't really tried to find anything they might like.

I think the thing to remember about all of this is that Sturgeon's revelation applies: 90% (relatively) of everything is crap. Star Wars is not immune to this; relatively speaking, only 10% of Star Wars material, EU and Canon, is going to be worthwhile.

There are some things that I really enjoy from the EU. The Corporate Sector (which I would have liked to see expanded upon), Shadows of the Empire and Black Sun (since adopted, in a form, into D-canon), and most of the first Thrawn trilogy are among them. There are also some really bad bits that are on par with Force Awakens, particularly the never-ending parade of superweapons and most of the Young/New Jedi stuff. And then there are those bits that just seem like alternate SW realities, like the entire Vong story and the early Lando Calrissian adventures.

3 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

I've either seen the "all the Expanded Universe is abominable *****" camp or the "there's some good stuff, but there's plenty of rubbish to sift through" camp.

I find that a large portion in the first camp, incidentally, actually haven't really tried to find anything they might like.

I think the thing to remember about all of this is that Sturgeon's revelation applies: 90% (relatively) of everything is crap. Star Wars is not immune to this; relatively speaking, only 10% of Star Wars material, EU and Canon, is going to be worthwhile.

I just don't think you're trying hard enough, I believe there are a lot of people (myself included) with that mentality. The EU had some awesome stuff and some truly terrible stuff but to me, this quote sums up a really salient point:

4 hours ago, 2P51 said:

“I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.” – George Lucas, from an interview in Starlog #337

It was never more than paid-for fan fiction. From the only mind that mattered (at that time), it was all just someone else's fun and games, nothing to do with HIS world.

At least the new canon - of which I have read none, except for the recent comic books - is now all considered canon, unlike before where it was sold as canon but hey, the guy in charge didn't care about it, so it really wasn't.

4 hours ago, Bojanglez said:

I just don't think you're trying hard enough, I believe there are a lot of people (myself included) with that mentality. The EU had some awesome stuff and some truly terrible stuff but to me, this quote sums up a really salient point:

So you pretty much fall into camp 2. I was just saying that I've never seen anybody give the entirety of it a pass just because.

6 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

So you pretty much fall into camp 2. I was just saying that I've never seen anybody give the entirety of it a pass just because.

Personally I loved the EU. I was actually rather pissed when they said they were scrapping it because it had a lot of my favorite characters in it, including Mara Jade, and the Solo kids. That and the TotJ comics were some of my favorites as well. However, that hasn't stopped my enjoyment of the new movie, nor accepting the new canon.

16 hours ago, Tom Cruise said:

Disney didn't even really change anything. Lucas was already retconning the EU left and right, Disney just made it an official stance instead of an unspoken one :P

I wish more people would get this through their thick skulls...

Btw. I'm totally stealing that fur use in all future "Disney ruined EU!" threads or posts on the internet that I stumble upon.

Edited by OddballE8
15 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

Oh what a sheltered life you must live :D

I've seen that mentality many many times on other Star Wars related forums or social media.

2 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

I've seen that mentality many many times on other Star Wars related forums or social media.

Yeah, there were a few forums I simply stopped visiting because of all the vitrol aimed at Disney for taking the most sensible approach to the tangled state of the EU and going clean slate. You know it's bad when people are sincerely defending the existence of Dark Saber, The Crystal Star, and The New Rebellion trilogy which are generally held to be some of the absolute worst the EU has had to offer in most circles.

1 hour ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

Yeah, there were a few forums I simply stopped visiting because of all the vitrol aimed at Disney for taking the most sensible approach to the tangled state of the EU and going clean slate. You know it's bad when people are sincerely defending the existence of Dark Saber, The Crystal Star, and The New Rebellion trilogy which are generally held to be some of the absolute worst the EU has had to offer in most circles.

Yeah, some of the new stuff isn't good. However it would make little sense for Disney to create a sequel trilogy while having to tiptoe around the established history of the EU. Especially considering all the stuff that happened in that time. You don't want to tell a fan "to understand the history of Star Wars so far read these 20 comic series, 30 books and 4 audio dramas." I mean yeah, there is good and bad stuff but cleaning the slate was sensible. It allowed them to forge an official canon while mining the EU for the best bits, ala Thrawn.

With regards to the Vong there is some evidence that they exist in universe , some of this is minor spoilers to ths Aftermath trilogy and the Thrawn book.

The YV nearly made it into the clone wars as a story arc with some YV scouts being encountered, it also still seems to be that Thrawn and the Chiss chose to side with the Emporer because of a greater threat from the unknown regions. Albeit the YV were not invisible to the force in this story (Lucas apparently felt that as long as something is alive , it is part of the force) on this note it surprised me that the Ysalamari managed to get approved in the F&D line as a result.

Anyway, given that most, if not all the untold Clone Wars stories are considered canon by the storygroup then it wouldn't be a surprise if this threat might not show up sometime in the future, esp. with the hints we are getting from the Thrawn stories. (alhough this threat could be related to Snoke)

6 minutes ago, syrath said:

With regards to the Vong there is some evidence that they exist in universe , some of this is minor spoilers to ths Aftermath trilogy and the Thrawn book.

The YV nearly made it into the clone wars as a story arc with some YV scouts being encountered, it also still seems to be that Thrawn and the Chiss chose to side with the Emporer because of a greater threat from the unknown regions. Albeit the YV were not invisible to the force in this story (Lucas apparently felt that as long as something is alive , it is part of the force) on this note it surprised me that the Ysalamari managed to get approved in the F&D line as a result.

Anyway, given that most, if not all the untold Clone Wars stories are considered canon by the storygroup then it wouldn't be a surprise if this threat might not show up sometime in the future, esp. with the hints we are getting from the Thrawn stories. (alhough this threat could be related to Snoke)

Egads, let's hope the Vong stay non-canon. But just out of curiosity, what is the source of the text you quoted?

22 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

Egads, let's hope the Vong stay non-canon. But just out of curiosity, what is the source of the text you quoted?

A few celebrations ago, Dave Filoni revealed a sketch of the Vong for the Clone Wars. So the idea was certainly toyed with. Saw it with my own eyes. He talked a bit about how he was going to consider having Anakin and Obi-Wan run into a vong scout-ship or something.

http://www.starwars.com/news/swca-the-untold-clone-wars-panel-liveblog

CW25.jpg

Feel whatever way you like about the Vong. If Filoni would have gotten a chance to fully realize them, it might have been awesome even if you're of the camp that hated the books.

Whew. Dodged that bullet!

2 hours ago, Desslok said:

Maybe not as is quoted in the Thrawn book is that he came to the core worlds trying to save the Chiss from an unknown threat from the unknown regions, this could be the same enemy

I don't mind the existence of the Yuuzhan Vong as a powerful barbaric group residing outside the empire and known galaxy - operating similar to the way the steppe peoples related to the western world for most of history. I don't even mind the way they look, even though it does clash with the rest of Star War's aesthetic (although they look a bit too similar to the orcs/goblins in the recent LotR/Hobbit movies, and hope they are made to look more alien if they ever show up again).

I do, however, hate the invisible/immune to the force bit they have. Not just strong minded, but even immune to stuff like force pushes. I also strongly dislike the machines are evil bit. That being said, the worst part about them is that they show up in the most poorly executed portions of the old EU, IMHO.

I hope that if they do show up, it's not as a massive invasion. I'd much rather see them as a brief interlude - a bad astrogation check strands the heroes among an alien people outside the empire. A Marco Polo plot, not a Genghis Khan plot.

Edited by Genuine
14 minutes ago, Genuine said:

I don't mind the existence of the Yuuzhan Vong as a powerful barbaric group residing outside the empire and known galaxy - operating similar to the way the steppe peoples related to the western world for most of history. I don't even mind the way they look, even though it does clash with the rest of Star War's aesthetic (although they look a bit too similar to the orcs/goblins in the recent LotR/Hobbit movies, and hope they are made to look more alien if they ever show up again).

I do, however, hate the invisible/immune to the force bit they have. Not just strong minded, but even immune to stuff like force pushes. I also strongly dislike the machines are evil bit. That being said, the worst part about them is that they show up in the most poorly executed portions of the old EU, IMHO.

I hope that if they do show up, it's not as a massive invasion. I'd much rather see them as a brief interlude - a bad astrogation check strands the heroes among an alien people outside the empire. A Marco Polo plot, not a Genghis Khan plot.

Well, one thing they covered was that they could be affected by the Force.

Star Wars is "altruistic & noble humans and selfish & corrupted humans" shoot at each other. As soon as you introduce organ-grafting, bio-engineering religious zealots that view mechanical technology as blasphemy (uh, door hinges and stone spears are "mechanical technology"), it stops being Star Wars and starts being a Star Trek thought exercise about the limits of technology and the dangers of religion.

Let Trek be Trek and let Wars be Wars. There are plenty of stories to tell without breaking down the lines between the two.

Edited by Concise Locket

The source of the Darkside perhaps?

Something caught the Emperor's attention out there and he accepted and promoted Thrawn to Grand Admiral because of that didn't he?

I hope they don't go with that fanwank about Palpatine secretly protecting the galaxy against a greater threat.

2 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

I hope they don't go with that fanwank about Palpatine secretly protecting the galaxy against a greater threat.

Me too, but I don't think it's too likely. Whatever you might feel about the prequels, they pretty much established Palpatine as being without an altruistic bone in his body. Definitely not "the hero they need" material.

The only thing that really worries me about the "new Disney canon" is the hints they're dropping about exploring the origin of the Light side/Dark side. One of the things that really drew me to Star Wars in the first place (and still does) is Lucas' portrayal of the Force as a spiritual/mystical thing rather than flashy space magic, the kind of which you'd find in more traditional fantasy fare. I'd much rather have the Force be the sort of all-encompassing energy that permeates everything and is generated by everything, than have it originate from a specific source in a specific location.

Edited by Krieger22
3 hours ago, Krieger22 said:

. One of the things that really drew me to Star Wars in the first place (and still does) is Lucas' portrayal of the Force as a spiritual/mystical thing rather than flashy space magic, the kind of which you'd find in more traditional fantasy fare.

Lucas is the one who introduced the flashy stuff into canon in Clone Wars, though.

1 hour ago, Stan Fresh said:

Lucas is the one who introduced the flashy stuff into canon in Clone Wars, though.

Yeah, but even then the flashiest was still force lightening and an occasional soft woosh. No glowy carp or over the top woogy woogy woogy....

5 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Yeah, but even then the flashiest was still force lightening and an occasional soft woosh. No glowy carp or over the top woogy woogy woogy....

What? No, Clone Wars had zombies, invisibility/cloaking spells, creating mechanical limbs from thin air, shapeshifting Force gods. It went full fantasy with the Force.