Dawn of Rebellion Sourcebook

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

16 hours ago, pnewman15 said:

Remember "Adversary" only applies to combat checks, not social checks. You beat Vader not warrior to warrior (going against his strengths); you beat Vader with lies just as Palpatine did and Leia almost did.

Wait WHAT? Oh my GM is getting a talking too.

21 hours ago, jayc007 said:

That has totally taken over my modular fighter recrafting plan.

However there really is no info out there on it... can't wait to read ffg's write-up

So it has 2 decks then or is it just the crews bearth is below the cockpit?

Pm me your email and I'll reply with a pic of the flavor text. Basically it doesn't say which is the case.

4 hours ago, SithArissa said:

"Adversary - upgrade the difficulty of any combat check targeting this character once per rank of Adversary" F&D pg 138

I don't recall a clear definition of "combat check". Is it a check using a "combat skill" or it a check performed while in combat?

Therefore Adversary might apply to Influence checks if (and only if) you perform them during a combat. Intimidating Vader while not fighting Vader? Adversary does not apply. Intimidating Vader while fighting Vader? Adversary might apply if your GM says any check performed while in combat is a "combat check".

Edited by pnewman15
typo
20 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

As noted, per my store’s manager, Asmodee changed distributors.

Asmodee is exclusive with one US distributor (two if you're in Alaska or Hawaii). However this distributor already had exclusive arrangements with a bunch of other game publishers so all good games stores should have had an account set up with them already,

Volume affects discount, presence of play space and having events for Asmodee games affects type of account (which also affects discount), but it shouldn't affect the ability to get Asmodee at all.

1 hour ago, pnewman15 said:

I don't recall a clear definition of "combat check". Is it a check using a "combat skill" or it a check performed while in combat?

Combat check is actually pretty well defined. Look at, for example, Age of Rebellion page 216:

PERFORM A COMBAT CHECK
A PC makes a combat check when he uses a combat skill to attack a target—by firing a blaster, throwing a punch, or swinging a lightsaber, for example. This is also referred to as an attack.

Some talents and force powers also include in their description that they are “a combat check” such as one of the Move Force Power Upgrades.

Agreed with others here. If you want your social nemesis to be a tough challenge for the silver tongues in your group, give her ranks in Nobody's Fool and the like, as well as ranks in Discipline, Cool, and Vigilance to resist social checks against her. Nemesis is not the talent you're looking for.

Edited by SavageBob

It seems like we wont get the Dawn of Rebellion book here in Norway in time for the new campaign i'm participating in shortly, were i will be playing a Duros Seeker/Navigator & Ship Captain.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to share with me (privately) the info for the "Ship Captain" spec. Preferably "everything", but completely understand if people are hesitant to do that. Any info is better than what i got now, which is only the 4 (i believe) career skills, and a couple of talent names with no description.

After reviewing the book chapter by chapter . . .

I'd say they've definitely succeeded at creating a book usable by all three game lines, and if this was the thing they needed to prop open the door for future Era Sourcebooks then we're definitely going to see more of them.

I'd consider the best part to be the Universal Specializations, though, in no small part because they really are universal. While they're pretty iconic of the era, they'll also work just fine elsewhere (granted the Retired Clone Trooper might need a hoverchair at some point, but then again if Rex really did make it to Endor maybe not).

Gelanin, RLogue177 has posted PDFs with all of the universal talent trees , including Ship Captain and the five others from Dawn of Rebellion.

Edited by Thaliak
11 hours ago, SithArissa said:

I'm curious, did your GM just flat out tell you how they spec'ed that opponent? Because that seems a bit silly.

Just now, TrystramK said:

I'm curious, did your GM just flat out tell you how they spec'ed that opponent? Because that seems a bit silly.

No I believe I was trying to get information in a non-combat situation and there were upgrades added without destiny being spent. TBH this system is so needlessly complex we were probably doing a myriad of stuff wrong each session.

1 minute ago, SithArissa said:

No I believe I was trying to get information in a non-combat situation and there were upgrades added without destiny being spent. TBH this system is so needlessly complex we were probably doing a myriad of stuff wrong each session.

One thing I have noticed some GMs doing in error is upgrading difficulty for "environmental" challenges instead of adding setback dice. However, one thing to keep in mind if the check was "opposed" by an NPC, their green dice turn to purples for you, and their Yellows turn into Reds. So that is one potential source of Reds that do not depend on Destiny Point expenditure.

Also, as others have pointed out, there are lots of talents that can upgrade the difficulty of checks.

1 minute ago, TrystramK said:

One thing I have noticed some GMs doing in error is upgrading difficulty for "environmental" challenges instead of adding setback dice. However, one thing to keep in mind if the check was "opposed" by an NPC, their green dice turn to purples for you, and their Yellows turn into Reds. So that is one potential source of Reds that do not depend on Destiny Point expenditure.

Also, as others have pointed out, there are lots of talents that can upgrade the difficulty of checks.

I'm aware of opposed checks. The way we did our dice pools was to get the base then add any relevant bonuses. Our campaign has ended now so its a moot point.

Just now, SithArissa said:

I'm aware of opposed checks. The way we did our dice pools was to get the base then add any relevant bonuses. Our campaign has ended now so its a moot point.

Are you allowed to say "moot point" without misspelling/misusing it on the internet ?

Just now, Darzil said:

Are you allowed to say "moot point" without misspelling/misusing it on the internet ?

I don't follow. Also this is derailing the topic a bit.

1 minute ago, SithArissa said:

Sorry to hear your game ended :( It does sound like there was at the time a misunderstanding of how the game worked.

11 hours ago, Absol197 said:

With the exception of Sabine, you can tell what specialization every Specter has by looking at their talents and wound/strain thresholds. With the exception of Kanan, you can even buy down that particular tree normally to get those talents.

Hera is a Pilot, probably an ACE;
Chopper is a Mechanic, probably a TECHNICIAN;
Zeb is a SOLDIER: Commando;
Sabine is the one that doesn't fit, but due to her love of things that go boom, I'd put her as a HIRED GUN: Demolitionist;
Ezra is apparently a SEEKER: Pathfinder, although like Kanan, he probably has a secondary Lightsaber spec.
Rex is a COMMANDER: Tactician.

What I might do, is give each of them two primary specs of their career, and a Universal (to show them off :P ). Here's what I'd do:

Kanan - GUARDIAN (Peacekeeper, Soresu Defender / Padawan Survivor)
Hera - ACE (Pilot, Hotshot / Ship Captain)
Chopper - TECHNICIAN (Mechanic, Slicer / Recruit)
Zeb - SOLDIER (Commando, Vanguard / Recruit)
Sabine - HIRED GUN (Demolitionist, Mercenary Soldier / Imperial Academy Cadet)
Ezra - SEEKER (Pathfinder, Ataru Striker / Force-Sensitive Exile)
Rex - COMMANDER (Tactician, Instructor / Retired Clone Trooper)

(Chopper's the only one who doesn't have an obvious Universal spec :) )

Hera definitely has Ship Captain; Supreme Pride and Joy is why she can do the things she does in the Ghost . I'm pretty sure Hera is the prototype for the specialization.

13 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

I don't follow. Also this is derailing the topic a bit.

Sorry - just see "mute point" soooo often on the internet!

1 hour ago, Thaliak said:

Gelanin, RLogue177 has posted PDFs with all of the universal talent trees , including Ship Captain and the five others from Dawn of Rebellion.

Thanks alot!

On 02/03/2018 at 2:41 PM, Cannibal Halfling said:

After reviewing the book chapter by chapter . . .

I'd say they've definitely succeeded at creating a book usable by all three game lines, and if this was the thing they needed to prop open the door for future Era Sourcebooks then we're definitely going to see more of them.

I'd consider the best part to be the Universal Specializations, though, in no small part because they really are universal. While they're pretty iconic of the era, they'll also work just fine elsewhere (granted the Retired Clone Trooper might need a hoverchair at some point, but then again if Rex really did make it to Endor maybe not).

As long as it's during the galactic civil war, it's fine. Yes, accelerated aging, but they're tough. Endor is probably the limit, though.

I think Rex is supposed to be only a year older than Kanan?

Edited by Magnus Grendel
3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

As long as it's during the galactic civil war, it's fine. Yes, accelerated aging, but they're tough. Endor is probably the limit, though.

I think Rex is supposed to be only a year older than Kanan?

There's no reason that a batch of clones couldn't have spent the last 10-15 or so years in stasis and start a GCW story line in their prime years or just past them. There's also the possibility of new batches being made by others using Kaminoan techniques of cloning and flash training. Such batches do not necessarily need to be based on human males, nor do they have to incorporate accelerated aging if the designers domn't mind waiting longer to get their soldiers into the field.

Edited by HappyDaze
On 02/03/2018 at 10:47 AM, Darzil said:

Sorry - just see "mute point" soooo often on the internet!

That is such a moat point it' not even funny!

On 3/1/2018 at 9:45 PM, Absol197 said:

With the exception of Sabine, you can tell what specialization every Specter has by looking at their talents and wound/strain thresholds. With the exception of Kanan, you can even buy down that particular tree normally to get those talents.

Hera is a Pilot, probably an ACE;
Chopper is a Mechanic, probably a TECHNICIAN;
Zeb is a SOLDIER: Commando;
Sabine is the one that doesn't fit, but due to her love of things that go boom, I'd put her as a HIRED GUN: Demolitionist;
Ezra is apparently a SEEKER: Pathfinder, although like Kanan, he probably has a secondary Lightsaber spec.
Rex is a COMMANDER: Tactician.

What I might do, is give each of them two primary specs of their career, and a Universal (to show them off :P ). Here's what I'd do:

Kanan - GUARDIAN (Peacekeeper, Soresu Defender / Padawan Survivor)
Hera - ACE (Pilot, Hotshot / Ship Captain)
Chopper - TECHNICIAN (Mechanic, Slicer / Recruit)
Zeb - SOLDIER (Commando, Vanguard / Recruit)
Sabine - HIRED GUN (Demolitionist, Mercenary Soldier / Imperial Academy Cadet)
Ezra - SEEKER (Pathfinder, Ataru Striker / Force-Sensitive Exile)
Rex - COMMANDER (Tactician, Instructor / Retired Clone Trooper)

(Chopper's the only one who doesn't have an obvious Universal spec :) )

Sabine is a Survivalist/Gunslinger. Those two cover all of her talents. I had to do some digging to track it down as i wanted to build a character like her for a game. The only thing that Sabine has that does not exist is her Mandalorian Manuvers. I cannot find the ability anywhere but on her.

3 minutes ago, swarsmike said:

Sabine is a Survivalist/Gunslinger. Those two cover all of her talents. I had to do some digging to track it down as i wanted to build a character like her for a game. The only thing that Sabine has that does not exist is her Mandalorian Manuvers. I cannot find the ability anywhere but on her.

What is her equipment like and what does Mandalorian Manuvers do?