Dawn of Rebellion Sourcebook

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Adapt Exalted you say? This is relevant to my interests!

4 hours ago, ASCI Blue said:

Adapt Exalted you say? This is relevant to my interests!

It would be my greatest task, after having already rewritten the craft system twice to mesh with the raw, I will rewrite them one more time to work within Genesys lol, but seriously this would be a back burner thing, I’m only right now finishing up my most recent rewrite of the craft system.

23 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

Huh... never heard of Genesys before.
So it's basically the EotE(AoR/FaD) system adapted for a fantasy setting?

Genesys > Gene ric Sys tem

Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Sci-fi, Steampunk, whatever.

Edited by SEApocalypse
On 7/26/2017 at 7:53 AM, Donovan Morningfire said:

Me? I'm looking forward to it. Not just for the inevitable new crunch, but also for a different viewpoint on the state of the galaxy at that time, especially with the new canon in place that challenged if not outright changed a number of assumptions folks had due to pre-existing Legends material . Am I expecting to blow my socks off? Not really, as none of their prior setting books have really done that, though Nexus of Power has probably come the closest out of the lot thus far. But I'm also not going to piss on other folks' enthusiasm for the book either.

This is where I get lost trying to keep track of the differences between the new Disney canon and the Legends material, as set in the 19BBY-9BBY timeframe. I like how A-Wings are now available before the Battle of Yavin, and I am still trying to figure out where the new appearance of starships/vehicles like like B-Wing, U-Wing and other Rogue One/Rebels fit into the new timeline (what year they saw action on the battlefield). I hope this new book goes some way to clarifying this.

I like how FFG is taking the new Disney Canon and adding bits and pieces of Legends and supplementing it with RPG material that is useful for actively running a game set in this universe (as opposed to passively reading a book or watching a movie).

I am now wondering if its possible to run a solid SW RPG campaign just with the FFG SW RPG material, or do I need to invest time and money into watching Rebels, the new movies and Disney books/comics to access to more source material for my campaign.

Edited by Giorgio
Removed a few "n". :)

First off, Canon. Canon, Canon, Canon.

Second, knowing Canon and Legends shouldn’t be a huge concern. Aside from planets and vehicles, the odds of your PCs running into an existing character are so negligible that you really don’t need to know much. Realistically, most of the characters should be new ones.

Third, remember that most of FFG’s sourcebooks contain Legends information. If you’re playing in Canon, you have next to nothing to go on. If you consider everything in FFG’s stuff to be true in a “Canon” game, then you’re actually relying heavily on Legends.

On 10/10/2017 at 11:44 AM, Concise Locket said:

That middle ground is non-canonical, which I did mention as a disclaimer. We know what happened between the time the final touches were being made to the Death Star and the time it was blown up because we saw it all on screen.

For the reasons you gave a few posts above on the two canonical outcomes of incorporating the DS1 into a campaign, I also decided to go for an alternate middle ground (which I will explore in details later). For my campaign, I am planning on starting in 9BBY with construction of the DS1 halted (due to cost overruns, estimated 10+ years length of time of completion, changing reality of the resistance cells, and devastating sabotage (by the Imperial Navy ; plot twist!), among other factors). I think a AOR campaign without the immediate threat of the DS1 opens a lot of possibilities.

The DS1 still exists, is a known reality, and is a long term threat as it will be eventually repaired and construction continued, under much tighter security. Making sure that doesn't happen will be a priority for the various unaligned rebel cells, and a great impetus for a coordinated resistance movement (formation of the rebel alliance much earlier then in the canon timeline?). PCs will have a lot of opportunities to get involved and make a difference.

I am holding off on major campaign development of this idea until I get the DOR book and see how it useful it can be for this time frame (19BBY-0BBY).

53 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

Second, knowing Canon and Legends shouldn’t be a huge concern. Aside from planets and vehicles, the odds of your PCs running into an existing character are so negligible that you really don’t need to know much. Realistically, most of the characters should be new ones.

Third, remember that most of FFG’s sourcebooks contain Legends information. If you’re playing in Canon, you have next to nothing to go on. If you consider everything in FFG’s stuff to be true in a “Canon” game, then you’re actually relying heavily on Legends.

Only one "n"? Dully noted. :)

Good points; I am more interested in the politics, organizations, planets, technology, vehicles, starships as found in the FFG SW RPG line (as my primary source of references) and not so much if something is "canon" or not.

1 hour ago, Yaccarus said:

Canon, Expanded Universe (or whatever Disney/Lucasfilm is calling tie-in material), and Legends are three different but interrelated concepts.

Legends material is de-canonized tie-in material. Until it makes it back into a film, TV show, or tie-in material, the content is non-canonical. Thrawn was Legends material until he was introduced in Rebels .

FFG books are canonical tie-ins. However, because FFG had the license prior to the Disney sale, some material is in the process of be de-canonized. For example, Bothans have been removed from the newer German edition of Age of Rebellion . I suspect if AoR is to get a reprint or update, the English version will see the same thing happen along with excising the video game material from the history of the Rebellion. Force and Destiny 's Jedi backstory is written with the deliberate understanding that the material may not be true.

13 minutes ago, Concise Locket said:

For example, Bothans have been removed from the newer German edition of Age of Rebellion . I suspect if AoR is to get a reprint or update, the English version will see the same thing happen along with excising the video game material from the history of the Rebellion. Force and Destiny 's Jedi backstory is written with the deliberate understanding that the material may not be true.

Why are the Bothans being removed from the lore?

9 minutes ago, Giorgio said:

Why are the Bothans being removed from the lore?

IIRC they have only een mentioned in RotJ, and not depicted in any form in the new cannon.

57 minutes ago, Concise Locket said:

FFG books are canonical tie-ins. However, because FFG had the license prior to the Disney sale, some material is in the process of be de-canonized. For example, Bothans have been removed from the newer German edition of Age of Rebellion . I suspect if AoR is to get a reprint or update, the English version will see the same thing happen along with excising the video game material from the history of the Rebellion. Force and Destiny 's Jedi backstory is written with the deliberate understanding that the material may not be true

I get that 100%. But entirely purging Legends from FFG would delete a lot of information. Not just Bothans, look at any other non-human species: How much do we now about their society in Canon? It’s almost always less than half of what’s in Legends.

14 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

I get that 100%. But entirely purging Legends from FFG would delete a lot of information. Not just Bothans, look at any other non-human species: How much do we now about their society in Canon? It’s almost always less than half of what’s in Legends.

Well, apparently, the people at Lucasfilm are going to be redesigning the look of the Bothans for a future appearance and want their canon appearance to be something their creative department designed, not an outside source.

11 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Well, apparently, the people at Lucasfilm are going to be redesigning the look of the Bothans for a future appearance and want their canon appearance to be something their creative department designed, not an outside source.

*facepalm*

The more Disney tinkers with Star Wars, the less I like it. Why can't they just leave it alone?!?

Ranting aside, there are many, many people who grew up with the Legends Star Wars. I had hoped that they would expand upon it, not create a confusing parallel universe.

25 minutes ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

*facepalm*

The more Disney tinkers with Star Wars, the less I like it. Why can't they just leave it alone?!?

Ranting aside, there are many, many people who grew up with the Legends Star Wars. I had hoped that they would expand upon it, not create a confusing parallel universe.

Honestly I would love if they did it the ways that marvel did there’s by creating a canon alternate reality like they did with ultimate.

Bejng able to read more material set in the legends reality would be a lot of fun, but also I myself am learning to be more accepting of the new canon, and simply treating everything from legends as canon until stated otherwise.

7 hours ago, Vestij Jai Galaar said:

*facepalm*

I've certainly grown up with the EU, and to me it's a bit like Old Yeller, something I cherished in my youth, but then it went bad and needed to be taken out back and shot for the good of everyone.

Scrapping the piles of manure and reintroducing and reinterpreting the good bits is pretty much the best thing that could be done.

24 minutes ago, penpenpen said:

I've certainly grown up with the EU, and to me it's a bit like Old Yeller, something I cherished in my youth, but then it went bad and needed to be taken out back and shot for the good of everyone.

Scrapping the piles of manure and reintroducing and reinterpreting the good bits is pretty much the best thing that could be done.

I'm so glad that the vong $#!+ got scraped

3 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

You know, I loved the idea at first, but that storyline went on so freaking long! The idea was fine, but the execution was horrendous, IMO.

10 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Yeah, once poor old Euller got the 'vong there wasn't any hope for him. He was sufferin'. We had to do it.

Wish we'd gotten around to it before full on Traviss set in.

Edited by penpenpen
26 minutes ago, penpenpen said:

Yeah, once poor old Euller got the 'vong there wasn't any hope for him. He was sufferin'. We had to do it.

Wish we'd gotten around to it before full on Traviss set in.

I literally laughed out loud with my wife telling me to be quite before I wake the baby

52 minutes ago, JorArns said:

The idea was fine, but the execution was horrendous, IMO.

ive come across this situation so many times

9 hours ago, JorArns said:

Title of my sex tape.

13 hours ago, JorArns said:

Wasn't this the same problem as Disney had to some degree with Rogue One and Thor Ragnarok?

4 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Wasn't this the same problem as Disney had to some degree with Rogue One and Thor Ragnarok?

Not from what I saw in the theaters.

20 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

What would possess you to speak the name of rogue one in the same breath as Thor ragnorok, the latter was amazing and the former was lackluster.

12 minutes ago, Norr-Saba said:

What would possess you to speak the name of rogue one in the same breath as Thor ragnorok, the latter was amazing and the former was lackluster.

Rogue One was all over the place in the first half of the movie and Ragnarok missed the mark on tone. It tried too hard to be the typical funny marvel movie, without considering its own darker themes of the movie.
And don't get me wrong, I think mixing planet hulk with Ragnarok was a brilliant concept, but the execution wasted a lot of the potential, especially when you see how the script tries to give the movie a little more depth, character and seriousness, just to undermine the attempt with another flat guardian of the galaxy style joke. The movie is still solid, but imho it could have been more.

Similar rogue one had a decent concept, but did not go anywhere with it. The main reason imho while so many people like rogue one is because of that concept, even when it is executed so poorly. Well, that and the best space battle in star wars history. Leaving the movie on a high-note is always good for user reviews, just ask the guys cheering for TPM after just watching duel of fates for the first time ;-)