Dawn of Rebellion Sourcebook

By Blackbird888, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

It certainly gives me some better insight into translating my Starbreaker battle platform from my old campaign.

Also, looking at the article again...guess I don't really need to work on a planet profile for Atallon, after all.

2 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

Now I know what those are. They seem kind of overly complex. Scan a planetary shield for hours to find a weak point, bombard it with torpedoes, hope that it opens the 6 square meter hole, hope that the hole gives them a clear shot to the shield generator, destroy that before it closes up within microseconds.

Yeah, the official usage is a little kludgy. I much prefer the "Big Assed Deathblossom Sphere" usage myself. And thus was my headcannon.

9 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Well I blame these guys

Moana-Kakamora.png

Kakamora....

7 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

I'm planning on using these guys as inspiration for villains in a future campaign :) Still equivocating on whether they will be space-faring Ewoks or some other, more mysterious species...

They are spacefaring on cobbled together stolen ships. Think something like a spacehulk from 40k. They put themselves in between legs of a hyperspace route.

52 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

They are spacefaring on cobbled together stolen ships. Think something like a spacehulk from 40k. They put themselves in between legs of a hyperspace route.

Like goblins in Starfinder (if I understand their schtick correctly, anyways).

There's enough of that Death Star Profile to make a piloting check. I wonder... if you were a GM, how would you narrate failing a piloting check with the Death Star?

13 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

There's enough of that Death Star Profile to make a piloting check. I wonder... if you were a GM, how would you narrate failing a piloting check with the Death Star?

In a chase, the DS's base difficulty is 10. If there's any terrain, it could be looking at some real issues.

I like the fact that now it has stats, you can destroy it merely by telekinetically flinging 25 X-Wings at it. Much easier than bothering with all that 'exhaust port' nonsense... Take THAT, Death Star!

Edited by Maelora

I don't think that'll work; an X-wing will do 30 personal scale damage, plus 1 per success. You might get 10 successes on a check - I've never seen that many, but it's possible (a PC got 9 on a Mechanics check last week, to repair 13 hull trauma) - which would be 40 damage, which equates to 4 damage vehicle scale. The Death Star has 20 armor. The x-wings maybe scratch the paint, but probably not even that.

Throw a Super-Star Destroyer at it - 90 damage! Oops, still only 10 vehicle scale at best - still bouncing off.

Edited by coyote6
7 hours ago, Norsehound said:

18 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

That -5 handling though, I can see it now...

*BOOMING CRASH, everyone gets tossed about as you see out of the DS-1 Deep Space Mobile Battle Station's viewscreen. A panel or twenty of metal float out into space as an asteroid ricochet's off the hull*

*The Helmsman cringes and slowly turns around as he hears it...*

*The sound of a respirator*

"Helmsman, you have failed me for the last time" *a booming voice echoes into the bridge as the Helmsman is lifted off the ground, clutching at his throat is of some invisible hand were squeezing off his means of respiration...*

I love that it's silhouette 20, and how that would translate for pilot checks. It would explain, for example, why they didn't have an easy firing solution for the Rebel Base on Yavin IV and instead had to slowly drift in orbit until they had line of sight.

17 hours ago, syrath said:

I think you may need a signature ability to kill it, soldier ought to do

How about using bad motivator talent ?

Sooooo... outside of a non-canonical game, is there actually a gaming utility to writing up Death Star stats?* Even the West End Games Death Star Technical Companion flat out admitted that using the DS as-written was unlikely to be encountered in most games. Rather, the book was also intended to be useful for GMs who wanted examples of Imperial military architecture and NPCs not found in the core books.

Woe to the table whose GM introduces his wholly-original existential threat to the campaign, the Death St Termination Sun!

*Other than providing fuel to online arguments.

Hm. So the whole "Triumph can knock out a shield generator on a Star Destroyer or do something very significant" thing would be a quick route to arguments over why it can't just destroy the Death Star.

17 minutes ago, Concise Locket said:

Sooooo... outside of a non-canonical game, is there actually a gaming utility to writing up Death Star stats?* Even the West End Games Death Star Technical Companion flat out admitted that using the DS as-written was unlikely to be encountered in most games. Rather, the book was also intended to be useful for GMs who wanted examples of Imperial military architecture and NPCs not found in the core books.

Woe to the table whose GM introduces his wholly-original existential threat to the campaign, the Death St Termination Sun!

*Other than providing fuel to online arguments.

Agreed. It seems pretty pointless, silly and also a waste of time to stat up a plot item that unrealistically need one. Even in a non-canon game were the rebels / the heroes plan a massive capital ship battle against this thing, it has no stats of weapons. Because it's ridiculous; can you imagine in write down the main weapon?
Superlaser: 100,000 damage, crit 1, range Extreme, Limited Ammo 10, Breach 100,000, Blast 1,000,000,000,000".

Would love to hear the devs talk about the reason in an Order 66 episode.

Edited by SSB_Shadow

It's quite the shift in game design philosophy. It's like they suddenly DID give a full write-up of Vader and Lando after only providing very limited mechanical representations for them and insisting that this was for the better.

And luckily for us it doesn't seem to have any weapons either! We could hurl Sil 0 astromech droids or ewoks at it for years, chipping away at it's thousand hull points and it would only be able to glare angrily at us or move away very slowly. At worst, it might try and crush us by trundling towards us at a snail's pace, like some kind of Giant Space Marble!

<ahem>

Well, I was being facetious (although I do use full damage when ships are thrown at other ships - this is Star Wars, stuff blows up!)

My point was that it seems weird to even have stats for the Death Star. It's... sort of a plot device rather than a ship or a home base or whatever.

(Actually, in the MarcyVerse we only have the original and best Death Star, and the only way to destroy it is to infiltrate it and start the self-destruct from within while fighting off numberless waves of stormtroopers waiting for the countdown to end so you can die heroically... Because srlsy folks, is the Empire that dumb to leave a 'Shoot Here To Blow Me Up' port on their Giant Space Marble?)

Starts for the Giant Space Marble aside, do we have any idea what this book is actually about? Is it just Disney shilling, or will it have useful things in it like Lords of Nal Hutta and Suns of Fortune? I don't mind setting books, but we wouldn't want it unless it has some crunch in it. (And I'm not sure who'd really want to play in this era when you could play in the pulpy, action-movie setting of the original films?)

Edited by Maelora
3 minutes ago, Maelora said:

And luckily for us it doesn't seem to have any weapons either! We could hurl Sil 0 astromech droids or ewoks at it for years, chipping away at it's thousand hull points and it would only be able to glare angrily at us or move away very slowly. At worst, it might try and crush us by trundling towards us at a snail's pace, like some kind of Giant Space Marble!

<ahem>

Well, I was being facetious (although I do use full damage when ships are thrown at other ships - this is Star Wars, stuff blows up!)

My point was that it seems weird to even have stats for the Death Star. It's... sort of a plot device rather than a ship or a home base or whatever.

(Actually, in the MarcyVerse we only have the original and best Death Star, and the only way to destroy it is to infiltrate it and start the self-destruct from within while fighting off numberless waves of stormtroopers waiting for the countdown to end so you can die heroically...)

Starts for the Giant Space Marble aside, do we have any idea what this book is actually about? Is it just Disney shilling, or will it have useful things in it like Lords of Nal Hutta and Suns of Fortune? I don't mind setting books, but we wouldn't want it unless it has some crunch in it. (And I'm not sure who'd really want to play in this era when you could play in the pulpy, action-movie setting of the original films?)

There is crunch.

Oh, and welcome back from the Phantom Zone....

26 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

There is crunch.

Yay! :) Shut up and take my money, FFG!

25 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Oh, and welcome back from the Phantom Zone....

Thanks, Mister Pirate, sir. I've escaped from worse! :)

(srsly, life's been using me as a punching bag for a year now, and my gaming group was sorely tested, along with my sanity. But I think we came out the other side.)

Edited by Maelora
7 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

There is crunch.

I'd laugh my *** off if on release, the only crunch in the book are the Death Star stats.

There are about one-thousand-and-one other things I'd love to see before the Death Star. On the bright side, I guess the Executor isn't too big to give a profile too now.

31 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

There are about one-thousand-and-one other things I'd love to see before the Death Star.

That's what Alderaan said

4 hours ago, Maelora said:

Yay! :) Shut up and take my money, FFG!

Thanks, Mister Pirate, sir. I've escaped from worse! :)

(srsly, life's been using me as a punching bag for a year now, and my gaming group was sorely tested, along with my sanity. But I think we came out the other side.)

Punch back......swhat I do.........