Upgrade to Proficiency Die or Add new Ability Die: Edge of the Empire

By arlo di'lya, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Hey, forgive me if this is already fully answered but I can't find it.

I just want a clear cut answer in this beautiful role playing game:

Just mathematically/your experience, is it better when rolling a check, to roll with...

3 proficiency dice- 3 yellow dice (YYY)

OR

2 proficiency dice and 2 ability dice - 2 yellow + 2 green (YYGG)

Essentially what I am asking is, is just in terms of rolling a check. Which is better to roll with, (YYY) or (YYGG)?

More to that point, what I am asking is, once at the point of lvl 3 characteristic and level 2 Skill. Should I upgrade my characteristic or my skill? (Excluding the additional benefits of upgrading all skills within that characteristic, the cost of XP AND just referring to rolling a single skill check).

An example:

I have level 3 Cunning (Characteristic) and level 2 Deception (Skill). I now want to improve my deception checks. At this point should I upgrade my Decption skill to roll with 3 Yellow (YYY) or upgrade my Cunning characteristic so I roll with 2 yellow and 2 green (YYGG). Assuming xp is not a factor and I am only concerned with my deception.

Cheers :)

Depends on what you want. Generally, more dice will mean you will succeed more. However, more upgrades will potentially introduce more advantage and triumph to a roll, so you can trigger more abilities, talents, and narrative effects. Whichever is more valuable to you, I guess.

You can only upgrade your attribute via Dedication, so if you're wondering how best to spend that 25XP, Dedication is the way to go, as it affects every skill based on that attribute. Then, the next time you get XP you can upgrade Deception to level 3. In the short term, as Blackbird noted, your success rate will go up more strongly, but your chances of Triumph will stay the same. To me this is a no brainer, as in very short order you'll get the best of both worlds.

2 minutes ago, whafrog said:

You can only upgrade your attribute via Dedication, so if you're wondering how best to spend that 25XP, Dedication is the way to go, as it affects every skill based on that attribute. Then, the next time you get XP you can upgrade Deception to level 3. In the short term, as Blackbird noted, your success rate will go up more strongly, but your chances of Triumph will stay the same. To me this is a no brainer, as in very short order you'll get the best of both worlds.

What do you mean dedication? Sorry I lost you there

Ah, sorry, forgot this was the beginner game forum. Basically you can't increase your attribute with XP, except when you're first creating the character. So you'd only be able to increase your skill.

Dedication is a Talent you can buy with XP later in the career, if you have the full core rules.

Dedication is at the very bottom of the talent trees. You have to make your way down the tree and then you can spend 25 XP to increase an attribute by 1.

8 minutes ago, whafrog said:

Ah, sorry, forgot this was the beginner game forum. Basically you can't increase your attribute with XP, except when you're first creating the character. So you'd only be able to increase your skill.

Dedication is a Talent you can buy with XP later in the career, if you have the full core rules.

Wow.... Sorry you guys were right. Thanks for clarification

Edited by arlo di'lya