Cyphers and Masks Spy book announced!

By coyote6, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

On 8/10/2018 at 4:56 PM, Brutusness said:

Any chance we could get the new motivations?

The Motivations all have the theme of Secrets. In some cases this is protecting secrets, for others uncovering them.

• Falsification
  • Detection
  • Extraction
  • Classification
  • Analysis
  • Security
  • Revelation
  • Tracking
  • Preservation
  • Retrieval

On 8/11/2018 at 12:50 AM, EliasWindrider said:

What does the retinal implant do?

It can store multiple retinal patterns (a Perception check and a few minutes to "store" one), and then can project one to attempt to fool a retinal scanner (different difficulties depending on the quality of the scanner, or opposed if the operator has reason to be suspicious).

My favorite of all the books I worked on.

13 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

My favorite of all the books I worked on.

I swear you said that about the last one as well ?

18 hours ago, warchild1x said:

I swear you said that about the last one as well ?

It might be more than coincidence that the quality of the products seems to be getting lower every time too.

Let's hope that Fully Oprrational was the low point and that things will start looking up from here.

11 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

It might be more than coincidence that the quality of the products seems to be getting lower every time too.

Let's hope that Fully Oprrational was the low point and that things will start looking up from here.

That's certainly opinion. Fully Operational has become one of the more referenced books in my group. I guess it depends on campaign/players.

Also, the quality of Dawn of Rebellion was outstanding.

Edited by Andreievitch
Spelling...

Im definitely surprised that we haven't heard of anyone getting it early yet, outside of the lucky few from GenCon.

3 hours ago, warchild1x said:

Im definitely surprised that we haven't heard of anyone getting it early yet, outside of the lucky few from GenCon.

I got my copy already, although it’s much less exciting than I had anticipated so I haven’t been enthusiastic about it. Definitely not one of the best books and not in keeping with the tradition we’ve seen in the more recent offerings of excellent material.

1 hour ago, Khazadune said:

I got my copy already, although it’s much less exciting than I had anticipated so I haven’t been enthusiastic about it. Definitely not one of the best books and not in keeping with the tradition we’ve seen in the more recent offerings of excellent material.

Interesting feedback Khaz. Congrats on getting it early. Disappointing that it isn't up to standard. Hopefully my mileage will vary.

1 hour ago, Khazadune said:

Anything in particular that feels like it's missing? Anything that feels like a load of useless crap?

When I playtested it there were no calendars....... ☹️

3 hours ago, 2P51 said:

When I playtested it there were no calendars....... ☹️

I wouldn't expect there to be in a book on Spies. In a book about a period of time, I would.

What I am hoping this book contains is some expansion on the Bothan Spynet. This seems fairly aligned to the central topic of this product, and its absence would be, IMO, a mistake.

Isn't there some moratorium on Bothans, in general? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. lol

6 minutes ago, Demon4x4 said:

Isn't there some moratorium on Bothans, in general? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. lol

I believe that Bothans as a PC species were removed from the German printing of AoR and that any art with a Bothan in it no longer calls them Bothans. I don't believe that the later references to the Bothan homeworld, Bothan Space, or the Bothan Spynet were changed. Of course, I do not have access to the German printing myself, nor do I speak any significant amount of German, so I'm going off of 2nd-hand information.

17 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

I wouldn't expect there to be in a book on Spies. In a book about a period of time, I would.

What I am hoping this book contains is some expansion on the Bothan Spynet. This seems fairly aligned to the central topic of this product, and its absence would be, IMO, a mistake.

I think expecting canonical narrative details about the universe while movies, cartoons, and live action shows are in production is an unreasonable expectation of a game licensee.

1 minute ago, 2P51 said:

I think expecting canonical narrative details about the universe while movies, cartoons, and live action shows are in production is an unreasonable expectation of a game licensee.

We had coverage of the Hutt kajidics in a book about Hutt Space. I don't think that some mention of the Bothan Spynet would be out of place in a book about spies and espionage.

3 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

We had coverage of the Hutt kajidics in a book about Hutt Space. I don't think that some mention of the Bothan Spynet would be out of place in a book about spies and espionage.

I didn't say anything about the nature of the content, I said you're expectation and determination it's a mistake if it's not there is unreasonable. It pressuposes FFG has control over what they can and can't include for lore. They were allowed to include Hutt stuff, they might not be for Bothans, it's not their decision. Placing an expectation on something you know they don't have control over isn't reasonable.

3 minutes ago, 2P51 said:

Placing an expectation on something you know they don't have control over isn't reasonable.

So what? As a customer, I can have my expectations and they can fail to live up to them. No excuse is acceptable. That's the way the world works now. ?

Does anyone know what the Garrote Chrono does?

2 hours ago, Lotr_Nerd said:

Kills people......and counts your daily steps like a fitbit....

2 hours ago, Lotr_Nerd said:

It's a watch with a Garrote Wire in it, part of the James Bond menswear collection.

@ColonelCommissar Actually it was used by Red Grant in "From Russia With Love" and is recognized as the first anti-James Bond gadget.

Just now, Lukey84 said:

@ColonelCommissar Actually it was used by Red Grant in "From Russia With Love" and is recognized as the first anti-James Bond gadget.

I stand corrected, thank you!

Settling in for some data entry into OggDude's....

2 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

Settling in for some data entry into OggDude's....

Make sure that the Mobile Listening Post can't be applied to starships. Unlike all of the other starship and vehicle attachments, it is specifically "vehicle" whereas most of the others say "starship or vehicle" (and the Cloaking Device is only for starships). This is going to be disappointing as this attachment increases Sensor Range.