Cyphers and Masks Spy book announced!

By coyote6, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

3 hours ago, whafrog said:

True enough, I should have reviewed that.

Now that I think about it, a Martial Artist/Infiltrator would be a pretty brutal combination, though heavy on the strain usage for MA's Parry and Precision Strike talents as well as Infiltrator's Ferocious Attack and Dodge/Defensive Stance talents.

Given that FFG seems to angle toward avoiding that level of synergy between specs within the same career (whether or not they succeed is up to one's point of view), that makes me even more skeptical that we'll bee seeing any sort of new close-quarters fighter spec.

Speaking of product page, usually that goes up with the announcement, did someone forget to hit publish?

Hmm coming from the bothan thread, do yiu guys think, that maybe the "New" bothans will be in this one?

Not likely. FFG probably doesn't have much more information than we do, only that something significant will change in the future.

I'm actually kind of curious as to what prompted this change. Either...

1. ...the change is mandated, so as not to present conflicting information with upcoming sources.
  2. ...the change is voluntary, and FFG is doing so to conform to new information.

The first option actually seems unlikely to me. FFG is pretty much locked out of the loop, and there is a lot of other information that conflicts with canon which I doubt has been removed. Unless it has and we haven't noticed.

Or: FFG uses a lot of artwork from the Lucasfilm archives. It could be that they got word that the old Bothan art will be unavailable due to "changes," and FFG could have volunteered to edit the book so as to accommodate said changes.

5 minutes ago, Blackbird888 said:

Not likely. FFG probably doesn't have much more information than we do, only that something significant will change in the future.

I'm actually kind of curious as to what prompted this change. Either...

1. ...the change is mandated, so as not to present conflicting information with upcoming sources.
  2. ...the change is voluntary, and FFG is doing so to conform to new information.

The first option actually seems unlikely to me. FFG is pretty much locked out of the loop, and there is a lot of other information that conflicts with canon which I doubt has been removed. Unless it has and we haven't noticed.

Or: FFG uses a lot of artwork from the Lucasfilm archives. It could be that they got word that the old Bothan art will be unavailable due to "changes," and FFG could have volunteered to edit the book so as to accommodate said changes.

But not replacing them is a fairly drastic move, they could have thrown any number of other species in as replacement. And if it was just an artwork change then why remove all the stats and fluff as well? I think that there is the clue that LFL gave the order that Bothans are going to be different soon in more than just appearances.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:34 PM, Donovan Morningfire said:

Now that I think about it, a Martial Artist/Infiltrator would be a pretty brutal combination, though heavy on the strain usage for MA's Parry and Precision Strike talents as well as Infiltrator's Ferocious Attack and Dodge/Defensive Stance talents.

Given that FFG seems to angle toward avoiding that level of synergy between specs within the same career (whether or not they succeed is up to one's point of view), that makes me even more skeptical that we'll bee seeing any sort of new close-quarters fighter spec.

Yeah, I had a concept that would be those 2 specs and it was a pretty impressive amount of pain distribution on display. If you also threw in the F&D spec, the Warrior one that has the Conflict inducing Fear talent, it's even scarier. A lot of the MA talents are duplicated their, and they are the "bonus for number of ranks in talent" kind of abilities.

23 hours ago, KungFuFerret said:

Yeah, I had a concept that would be those 2 specs and it was a pretty impressive amount of pain distribution on display. If you also threw in the F&D spec, the Warrior one that has the Conflict inducing Fear talent, it's even scarier. A lot of the MA talents are duplicated their, and they are the "bonus for number of ranks in talent" kind of abilities.

The Aggressor is the Warrior spec but doesnt have any MA talents, some of the MA talents are duplicated in the Warden tree, although these are not ranked (Precision Strike and Grapple)

1 minute ago, syrath said:

The Aggressor is the Warrior spec but doesnt have any MA talents, some of the MA talents are duplicated in the Warden tree, although these are not ranked (Precision Strike and Grapple)

You are correct, totally goofed that up. Could've sworn they were shared ranked talents. Ah well.

So thinking about the Interrogator spec, and what we know so far, and what we can guess at:

1. Skills

-Medical inclination has been mentioned and can be applied towards torture (both keeping a victim alive and in inflicting pain), verification of truth (polygraphs measuring breathing, pulse, etc), and the application of drugs.

- along those lines, perception seems like it would be important to pick up on tells.

- coercion seems very much like it would be the personality skill in question.

- charm might be useful in building rapport, but it might be better suited to an undercover/handler spy skill. It could go to both.

- If not charm, I wonder if Brawl might be in as a way to inflict pain (Sinjir Rathveelis comes to mind).

2. Talents

- on the social side, the U.S. Army lists Mutt & Jeff (good cop/bad cop) as an official (if regulated) approach. Good Cop and Bad Cop might be in the Interrogator wheelhouse. Maybe just Bad Cop.

- I have to review Doctor and Medic to see if any of their talents are relevant. Otherwise, medical talents would focus on inflicting pain, keeping people alive (converting damage to strain?) and application of drugs.

1 hour ago, MitchPelon said:

So thinking about the Interrogator spec, and what we know so far, and what we can guess at:

1. Skills

-Medical inclination has been mentioned and can be applied towards torture (both keeping a victim alive and in inflicting pain), verification of truth (polygraphs measuring breathing, pulse, etc), and the application of drugs.

- along those lines, perception seems like it would be important to pick up on tells.

- charm might be useful in building rapport, but it might be better suited to an undercover/handler spy skill. It could go to both.

- If not charm, I wonder if Brawl might be in as a way to inflict pain (Sinjir Rathveelis comes to mind).

2. Talents

- on the social side, the U.S. Army lists Mutt & Jeff (good cop/bad cop) as an official (if regulated) approach. Good Cop and Bad Cop might be in the Interrogator wheelhouse. Maybe just Bad Cop.

- I have to review Doctor and Medic to see if any of their talents are relevant. Otherwise, medical talents would focus on inflicting pain, keeping people alive (converting damage to strain?) and application of drugs.

In this system, Discipline helps resist Deception, so its something an interrogator is likely to develop.

12 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

In this system, Discipline helps resist Deception, so its something an interrogator is likely to develop.

That and a rank or two of Nobody's Fool would go a long way in making it hard to pull the wool over an Interrogator's eyes.

5 hours ago, MitchPelon said:

1. Skills

2. Talents

As well as Coercion and its related specs and talents the singlembest interrogative talent line is unrelenting skeptic and it's improved variant. So I would say Vigilance is a likely skill as well as perhaps one or both those talents!

16 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

That and a rank or two of Nobody's Fool would go a long way in making it hard to pull the wool over an Interrogator's eyes.

Or quite possibly Unrelenting Sceptic. Seems like a good fit here.

What talents are actually useful depends on which skill (Deception/Coercion vs Discipline) is the acting skill and which is the resisting skill. Most talents only apply to one method or the other, although some, like Intimidating, can be used in multiple ways.

Anatomy Lessons (from Doctor and Medic) as well as Pressure point (Doctor) seem relevant, but I think any further medical talents should be new talents.

If Pressure Point is used, brawl would be a good skill to have. I wouldn't expect much more as far as brawl talents.

Edited by MitchPelon
On 7/7/2017 at 9:08 AM, 2P51 said:

My favorite book so far...

thanks for that mister dread pirate,

BTW just in case the pirate gets abducted by ex bothan spynet operatives and "aggressive interrogation techniques" are used to get him to spill the beans on this book, I want the whole forum to know that I had *NOTHING* to do with it, I most certainly didn't start the dark net crowd-sourced funding project to hire said ex bothan spynet operatives :ph34r: :D

On 7/31/2017 at 6:24 PM, EliasWindrider said:

thanks for that mister dread pirate,

BTW just in case the pirate gets abducted by ex bothan spynet operatives and "aggressive interrogation techniques" are used to get him to spill the beans on this book, I want the whole forum to know that I had *NOTHING* to do with it, I most certainly didn't start the dark net crowd-sourced funding project to hire said ex bothan spynet operatives :ph34r: :D

Can you link me to the Dark Kickstarter page for this project? *looks at Pirate* what?

22 hours ago, Daeglan said:

Can you link me to the Dark Kickstarter page for this project? *looks at Pirate* what?

If I posted that on these forums it would be obvious that I lied to the whole community when I said I had nothing to do with it... so I'll just pm you the link, just kidding, or am I? :P :D :ph34r:

8 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

If I posted that on these forums it would be obvious that I lied to the whole community when I said I had nothing to do with it... so I'll just pm you the link, just kidding, or am I? :P :D :ph34r:

Quietly shuffles out of the room...what? I'm going....home...yeah home...

* Pulls out datapad *

* Mumbling to herself * Okay, so we've got Elias and...Daeglan to add to the hit list... What? No, no! Just your normal everyday statistics happening here! Nothing to see!

7 hours ago, Absol197 said:

* Pulls out datapad *

* Mumbling to herself * Okay, so we've got Elias and...Daeglan to add to the hit list... What? No, no! Just your normal everyday statistics happening here! Nothing to see!

[ELIAS MUMBLING TO HIM SELF 7 HOURS AGO]

I feel... like... I'm being watched... maybe through the force, which would suggest the resident seer, normally absol would be off limits get immunity because of here usefulness in predicting when new books are released (the pirate is not similarly useful). Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I ought to have my bothan slicer a contact take a peek inside her data pad just to be safe. If he finds somethin incriminating, a doomsday virus to corrupt her data in the event of my death (deadman's switch, as in if I don't send an email with an encrypted password once per day) ought to insure my safety.

[ELIAS MUMBLING TO HIMSELF 2 HOURS AGO]

It's unfortunate that my bothan slicer friend did find something incriminating on absol's data pad, maybe I ought to accidentally let it slip that the dead man's switch has been activated, not just on absol'so datapad but also on her backed up databases

So, there is still no product page yet, and even the preliminary product page for Dawn of Rebellion is gone.

4 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

So, there is still no product page yet, and even the preliminary product page for Dawn of Rebellion is gone.

Stuff like this worries me, along with Fully Operational and Ghosts facing massive delays. I love FFG but I'd wish they would give us more updates when they can. Months of total silence just causes confusion.

5 hours ago, Rationalinsanity said:

Stuff like this worries me, along with Fully Operational and Ghosts facing massive delays. I love FFG but I'd wish they would give us more updates when they can. Months of total silence just causes confusion.

They answered a question about ghosts. Said the shipment got diverted and had to reprint. This means a couple things. It was not pirates as they said no one was hurt. which likely means a customs thing but that is usually on shore. Got diverted to another port or more likely the container containing the shipment fell off the ship. which happens. Seems most likely reason..

3 hours ago, Daeglan said:

They answered a question about ghosts. Said the shipment got diverted and had to reprint. This means a couple things. It was not pirates as they said no one was hurt. which likely means a customs thing but that is usually on shore. Got diverted to another port or more likely the container containing the shipment fell off the ship. which happens. Seems most likely reason..

Just because no one got hurt doesn't mean it wasn't pirates.