game is dying?

By negroscuro, in X-Wing Mission Control Technical Support and Feedback Forum

From some time ago to now I have been heaing about the game is not balanced anymore and is getting borring because overpowered pasive cards, getting too luck dependant and having less impact player decisions.

Now one more step from hearing things i started to read explicit comments disqualifying the game.

http://labsk.net/index.php?topic=108684.msg1816506#msg1816506

WHat do you think? what xwing players think in your area?

Theorist over at Team Covenant just posted an article on this very subject

I dont think its dying at all. The game is in a great spot sans a few cards. Triple T70s are winning or placing tops at store champs. Swarms are back. 3 Tie FOs and a TIE SF wrecked face at a recent store champ I was at. Dash Miranda, RAC Quickdraw doing good around here as well. So much variation in lists right now. It's awesome to see.

I think we are just in a "burned out" phase right now since the tourney schedule shift created zero gaps inbetween tournament phases. We jumped immediately from Worlds to regionals, then system opens, back to Worlds and now Store champs with zero breather. Some people are just taking store champ season to rest I believe and maybe just do some casual games here and there, which is the reason for lower turn outs. Also, summer time is vacation time with family for many people.

Star Wars brand is hot right now with movies every year and theme parks being built. As movies come around, people will get the itch to fly again and a surge will come. We are just on the low end of the curve right now. Nothing to worry about.

Han-Solo-Fine-09262016.gif

Not even close to dying. Growing by leaps and bounds here. We have packed weekly X-Wing nights with 14 local players.

On 7/7/2017 at 4:04 PM, wurms said:

Also, summer time is vacation time with family for many people.

This is a totally valid thing. I hate this new schedule and I feel like it's doing a disservice to the game. To recap the previous schedule:

Jan-Mar = Store Championships, earn a bye to be used in Regionals

May-July = Regionals, earn a bye to be used at Nationals

Aug-Sept = Nationals (or at least the US and the Canadian one, I can't speak for the rest of the world), earn a bye to be used at Worlds

Nov = Worlds

Each event was building up to a larger event. You could do well in SC and decide to take the jump up to the next competition level at Regionals. Likewise you used the bye you recently earned at basically the next event you went to.

Furthermore, for someone who lives in the northern part of the US, Jan-March is an awful time of year that's super dreary and that you're likely to be spending your weekends indoors anyways - might as well play X wing at a store championship. And if the weather is bad, no big deal if you decide not to go. Come May-July, you can now reliably book travel to a regional and not worry about having a snow storm ruin trip, making you lose out on the hotel room and the pre-registration fees (and in my case, I can camp because I'm a cheap *&S that can't afford a hotel room).

But now:

Dec-Feb = Regionals

May = Worlds

June-Aug = Store Championships

Aug-Sept = Nationals

Umm, what? So now I win a bye from an SC in June, and I can't use it for 6 months later? And Worlds is the kick off to Store Championships? Nationals are just randomly placed in there towards the end of the SC season. And now that June-Aug time frame is nice weather - I don't want to spend my Saturday inside a (now hot) game store playing X Wing all day. I want to go take a bike ride or go windsurfing... though I'm probably going to be stuck doing yardwork =/. And I'm leary to travel to any Regional during Dec-Feb... not only is Dec basically impossible to schedule a weekend to go away (go go holidays and all of the prep associated with them), but weather plays a huge factor in day to day life there... I can't reliably drive 5hrs after work on Friday to go to a regional on Saturday. Snow could end up making that an 8hr+ trip, in which case I'm getting in at 1am, getting a poor night of sleep, and know that I can't compete because I'm physically not at the top of my game (and since I'm a cheap *S&, I can't go camping either and have to pay for an actual hotel room which sucks).

TL:DR this revised OP schedule is awful for all games under it and you'll continue to see a smaller subset of people show up to events because of it.

On 7/7/2017 at 8:41 AM, negroscuro said:

From some time ago to now I have been heaing about the game is not balanced anymore and is getting borring because overpowered pasive cards, getting too luck dependant and having less impact player decisions.

Now one more step from hearing things i started to read explicit comments disqualifying the game.

WHat do you think? what xwing players think in your area?

I sure hope it isn't dying. I just got into the game in the last 2 weeks and I have dropped a decent amount of cash. If it just dies out I will be a very sad panda.

Rumors of its death have been greatly exaggerated.

the people that say its dying are the idiots thinking its getting "too complex" or strictly only want the vanilla ships in the game (which is what 8 ships period?).

Looking at my FLGS, its not dead. We have space for ideally 36 people to play at once (very cramped but we can do it), and the last few xwing nights have been having like 8 games going on at once, usually with an odd number guy being the unfortunate one to not get the 9th game.

I havnt even seen 40k have that kind of popularity around here, before or now. The most 40k people ive seen at once was 10 in this area, the most xwing ive seen was 26.

I'm going to say it's died for me and do think it's gotten too complex (timing charts, extensive FAQs, etc) for my PERSONAL tastes. I'm sure other folks are still enjoying it since FFG keeps making more stuff, but for me, the frequency of releases and what I think is pretty significant power creep just burned me out. I really do miss the good old days when how you flew was more important than what you flew, but you know, the game meta does change and if most folks like it, then that's just how the cookie crumbles. Me, I'm going to find a different cookie. :-P

I have been playing this game for quite a while, but not so much anymore. Now I only play the occasional game against a friend, no more tourneys.

The reason is it's pointless unless you keep up to date with the meta. This is why the game is mostly dead for me, I can't afford to keep up.

It's really annoying to me that the ships I purchased when the game launched just sit there collecting dust. I would love to play a game of x-wing with and actual x-wing in it. But as soon as you take older models you are almost guaranteed to lose. I love flying Interceptors but you can't win with them.

FFG should really try an re-balance the game instead of releasing new ships. But no they will just release a better ship and say if you want to win a game buy that.

Also the FAQ's are ridiculous, how about you try writing the cards so they can be understood without an FAQ.

It's the best selling miniatures game on the market right now. Yeah, totally dying...

On 1/8/2017 at 11:44 PM, Vineheart01 said:

the people that say its dying are the idiots thinking its getting "too complex" or strictly only want the vanilla ships in the game (which is what 8 ships period?).

Looking at my FLGS, its not dead. We have space for ideally 36 people to play at once (very cramped but we can do it), and the last few xwing nights have been having like 8 games going on at once, usually with an odd number guy being the unfortunate one to not get the 9th game.

I havnt even seen 40k have that kind of popularity around here, before or now. The most 40k people ive seen at once was 10 in this area, the most xwing ive seen was 26.

I think you should have to be more respectful regarding other opinions, not everybody think like you do, and that is not a reason to be unpolite and disrespectful.

Beyond this I was trying to see what others think to change my mind about how the game evolved, but i think you cannot deny game is getting easier and easier(just the opposite you said), because those pasive cards and pilot skills are giving tons of actions or in the end advantage in comparison with generic pilots. Only just a few persons are still flying generic pilots squads, is already prooved that combos with upgrades ais much more efficient in competitive play.

I think upgrades and pilots and also some of the rules, indeed some that changed over the game life until nowadays are making player decisions less relevant.

I think new mechanics in wave12 will bring some more player decisions and will take a bit up the game, but for now, I can say biggest xwing forum in Spain had several new players each day, but now it does not, indeed you can see several players selling their xwing collection and this is getting more and more usual.

I agree with " really do miss the good old days when how you flew was more important than what you flew" beause new players only have to copy a squad (maybe not all the squads work this way but some of the tier1 do) and roll dice better than your opponen, moving well is now secondary. 360ยบ firing arcs and things like expertise or k4 security droid, as well as some pilot skills are killing the game for me.

-Ey you bumped so you have no actions

-aaah yes but I get TL from K4 and I am turning all focus to hits because of expertise, so... you are dead

-Ah nice, well "played"

Things like stress other ships, most of the time is harder than equipp those kind of cards. If I would like to stress your expertise ship, i have to be in arc and range2, or I have to get an stress as well... WHY? why do i have to stress myself while you get focus every attack for free? from my point of view this is not balance. Expertise has no counterpart, but other upgrades to counter it has their counterparts so breaking the meta is not always easy, the easy way is to copy a squad and roll better, as I said.

Edited by negroscuro

@negroscuro

Can you give me the link to the spanish forum?

Even though i like to check this very forum, i would like to read about x wing in spanish...

I'm more confident in my reading skills than i'm my writting skills in english, and i will like to engage in some fluent conversations in spanish... :)

Edited by Malasombra
8 hours ago, Malasombra said:

@negroscuro

Can you give me the link to the spanish forum?

Even though i like to check this very forum, i would like to read about x wing in spanish...

I'm more confident in my reading skills than i'm my writting skills in english, and i will like to engage in some fluent conversations in spanish... :)

It is in the first post but here you have:

This is the thread of a boardgaming forum where we talk about xwing,but it is mostly used for other boardgames.

Specific xwing forum is at:

http://escuadronpicaro.foroactivo.com/

Edited by negroscuro