House Rules or Revisions

By vgunn, in Grimm RPG

Those who have had some experience with the game, I'd like to hear about any house rules or revisions that you've done.

Here is a post from a thread on rpg.net:

Well I would just remove all advantages in the system. Then let the players write down 4 to 6 (you have to find the best number) aspects. If you spent a Hero Point for an aspect you either get an effect or a +2 bonus instead of the normal +1 bonus that a Hero Point would give you. You regain Hero Points by taking a -2 on a test, if you have a fitting aspect.

Ummm, is this even for the same game?

Aspects? Heros Points?

I don't think we are playing Grimm

I have tried to use plotpoints or hero points and it works well. I had no aspects and they gave just a plain +1 however.

The idea works great and simplifies the whole advantage and disadvantage system a lot.

EDIT: I also think that it could be used to simplify the magic system a lot. I have looked at the Little Fears Nightmare Edition and the rules more magic items in there could work 100% for Grimm.

Again as GameBearOR said, your terminology seems to have no relationship with Grimm RPG. Can you explain what you are talking about and which version of the Game are you using D20 or Linear D6 ?

OK now I see you are incorporating elements of Little Fears into Grimm. Yes these games certainly have similar settings. From what I have read Little Fears is darker if anything. However I've never seen the rules so you might need to explain what you are doing in a little more detail.

Sure no problem. I am talking about the Linear D6 version of Grimm, but "Aspects" could also be used with the d20 version.

So you create a character just with stats and no advantages or disadvantages. Then you chose 6 "aspects" things about your character that can be advantages, disadvantages or both. This comes from the Fate rules.

When the game starts you get 6 Plot Points or Fate Points. When you want to use an aspect to perform something, then you spent one Fate Point and gain a simple +2, like with normal advantages. However if you say that one aspect is a disadvantage, then you take a -2 to your action and you gain one Fate Point.

This system removes a lot extra rules form the book and simplifies a lot for the GM and the players. It might be a good idea to limit the number of Fate Points a character can have at one time and the number of points that a player can use in one action. It also gives the player a bit more control over his character and the story.

About the Little Fears stuff. Well the game has a similar setting, children against monsters, but the tone is different. In the book are rules for creating monsters and magic items, that the children can use, like your magic teddy bear and so on.

An item does have a rating from 1 to 3. For every rank of the item it gets a special power for a list. This can be a +1 to a stat, a -1 to a stat for an opponent, some effect, some extra damage or protection and so on. Very generic.

Especially the +1 to damage or +1 to armor works great with the D6 version of Grimm. It is a simple way to generate magic items and effects if you want to have rules for it without hand waving everything.

Fatespinner said:

Sure no problem. I am talking about the Linear D6 version of Grimm, but "Aspects" could also be used with the d20 version.

So you create a character just with stats and no advantages or disadvantages. Then you chose 6 "aspects" things about your character that can be advantages, disadvantages or both. This comes from the Fate rules.

When the game starts you get 6 Plot Points or Fate Points. When you want to use an aspect to perform something, then you spent one Fate Point and gain a simple +2, like with normal advantages. However if you say that one aspect is a disadvantage, then you take a -2 to your action and you gain one Fate Point.

This system removes a lot extra rules form the book and simplifies a lot for the GM and the players. It might be a good idea to limit the number of Fate Points a character can have at one time and the number of points that a player can use in one action. It also gives the player a bit more control over his character and the story.

About the Little Fears stuff. Well the game has a similar setting, children against monsters, but the tone is different. In the book are rules for creating monsters and magic items, that the children can use, like your magic teddy bear and so on.

An item does have a rating from 1 to 3. For every rank of the item it gets a special power for a list. This can be a +1 to a stat, a -1 to a stat for an opponent, some effect, some extra damage or protection and so on. Very generic.

Especially the +1 to damage or +1 to armor works great with the D6 version of Grimm. It is a simple way to generate magic items and effects if you want to have rules for it without hand waving everything.

Again you seem to be talking about a completly different game. Grimm does not have stats, advantages or disadvantages. The in game terminology is "Traits and Talents". Indeed that is the title of Chapter Three of the rulebook.

The whole fate point thing you are trying to add is superflous as it replciates what is already done with the Iconic Trait. All in all the House rules you are suggesting seem to make no sense for the Linear D6 system as presented in Grimm,

Talking about damage and armour, again you seem to be using the wrong terminology. The Grimm rulebook refers to these as Wounds and Protection.

True I used a different terminology, but that is not the point. Personally I don't like the "Talent" rules and the Iconic Trait rules. That are just to many little special snowflake rules.

The goal of the house rules that I supposed and the OP are to reduce the number of special rules and to have a single and simple system. I run the game twice at a con and as a one shot and I that players often had problems remembering and using the Talents and Iconic Traits. Even character creation took longer, because we had only one rule book and everybody had to wait for it to flip through it and read the talents.

On the focus system, one narrator came up with a way to go about it that encourages creativity. He changed it so that focusing can only give you up to 1 point of focus. You get more points by coming up with reasons you should be doing well. For example, you want to get past thickand carnivorousbrambles. You focus for one turn. A friend uses Boy Scouts to give you another point. Finally, you tell the narrator you throw a stone in elsewhere, to distract the brambles. He gives you another point for creativity, giving you three points of focus. The result is slightly less chance for focus to be helpful, but it makes the players really come up with ways to use it.